'little Marc' by Marc Jacobs

what a bizarrely antagonistic thread. don't really understand.....

i know johnny...
apparently if you bash the designer clothing you're out of order...
but you are 'stupid' if you buy it...

so i guess we are just supposed to stand and admire it from afar...
like some exhibit behind glass in a museum...

ooohhh...look at the designer clothing....isn't it magnificent...?!?
can you believe people actually WEAR those things???...
:shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:...

please...:rolleyes:

Well, I think, to be fair, Lena obviously doesn't think it's stupid to buy clothes from a "designer", since, erm, she is one and all clothes are designed. I think she was saying that in a sense it's just as silly for adults to but "status" clothes as it is for adults to buy them foir their children, which is probably a stateable argument, no?

perhaps...and i might even support that argument...

**but that is YOUR argument dear...
that is not what i have been reading...
here and in other threads...

and it wasn't just one person...several people hopped on that bandwagon rather quickly... :wink: :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been thinking...maybe a mod or an admin member should come in and say: Why is this even a matter of discussion in this thread! That is enough! Let's move on...

I am supposed to see a discussion about "Little Marc," but instead...

As anyone who's ever babysat a little kid knows, its not worth it to spend anything close to that much money on kid's clothes. They stay clean for about 15 seconds.

Maybe there should be guidlines about what qualifies as post, in the case of this thread should all the posts have a fashion merit

Siesta said:
I have been thinking...maybe a mod or an admin member should come in and say: Why is this even a matter of discussion in this thread! That is enough! Let's move on...

I am supposed to see a discussion about "Little Marc," but instead...

Well Siesta.. Lena is ADMIN!

Anyway, I'll be the first to tell you that IF I CAN AFFORD DESIGNER for myself then you better believe my daughter will be wearing labels as well!! I love the quality of the clothes and the fit.
I never wear clothes from Walmart then why would I buy my daughter anything from there. That's just me.

*AndoraStar* said:
Well Siesta.. Lena is ADMIN!

I don't understand this at all. Lena started this thread so presumably she wanted the topic to be discussed. Like she said, there is a need for new topics in this forum, which I see as the "heart" of TFS. So she was bringing in a new topic for us to have a look at. What exactly has Lena done wrong?

softgrey said:
...which is that you can't really be stupid and be rather successful at the same time....that is a very hard trick to pull off...

^_^
I agree with that, however you can be really stupid and buy expensive designer clothes. a lot of idiots open numerous charge accounts and buy tons of expensive clothes when they can't afford it.

lets make just one more efford to keep it on topic please...

we can always start a new thread on the ethics of buying status designer clothes, the why and hows , but this topic here is dedicated to 'little Marc' :wink:

appreciated

softgrey said:
no one said fashion is only about designer clothes...
but it is certainly what drives the fashion industry ...

you say many don't care...
care about what?...fashion?...designers?...
of course, it is absolutely fine not to care about fashion and all it's trappings..
but then ...again i ask...why post in this forum?...
it is called 'designers and collections'....
it is ABOUT designer clothing...:P

if you love it and can afford it...
i don't see how buying it can make anyone stupid...
and it would seem rather rude and ignorant to come onto a FASHION forum and call people who buy and wear designer clothing 'stupid'...
if anything ...
they probably are quite the opposite in order to be able to make the kind of living which affords them such luxuries...
:rolleyes:... :innocent:

:flower:...

i don't want to say what i think people who say that here sound like...
but it's a little green monster...:ninja:...

Thanks travolta!

I know it's off topic, but it is interesting. Please don't delete this.

To answer softgrey, I'm talking more about "Fashion" as a personal statement, as a reflection of the times, as a sub-culture, and all the designers who are part of all that. You're thinking more about the Fashion Industry, the business, the whole machine, ads, PR parties, models, the expensive designer clothes and the slavish market for them. :wink:

There's the consideration of intrinsic worth here - say, is a highly-priced sweater commanding its price because it is beautifully designed, constructed and limited in its supply, or is it expensive simply because of its label/logo/tag?

Which sweater is truly about its designer as a creator?

I won't fault Lena for thinking the latter is stupid, and even comes at the expense of the former. I think many people who care deeply about fashion share that. It felt really good reading the reaction from the others here on the NYFW S/S 06 thread. You can admire fashion purely for reasons of personal aesthetics, the designer label isn't even an issue. I think too many people care more about the designer label than the design, and that kills the creativity that fashion lives on, no?

I disagree about wealth = intelligence. There are stupid, rich, white-collar crooks, there are stupid heirs and heiresses, there are stupid but beautiful people married to the rich, etc. There are poor but brilliant intellectuals and drop-outs. Too many varieties of people out there. Money isn't everything. :rolleyes:

Heh...to qualify my statement, I must declare that I am very much lacking in $$$ myself, $$$, not substance, i.e. :wink:

Ok, no more posts on this from me..let's get back to the Mini-Me fashion thing... Peace:flower:

Zazie said:
I disagree though about wealth = intelligence. There are stupid, rich, white-collar crooks, there are stupid heirs and heiresses, there are stupid but beautiful people married to the rich, etc. There are poor but brilliant intellectuals and drop-outs. Too many varieties of people out there. Money isn't everything. :rolleyes:

Heh...to qualify my statement, I must declare that I am very much lacking in $$$ myself, $$$, not substance, i.e. :wink:

my sentiments as well. :flower:

now let's see the entire line jaja.

are my appeals on 'back to topic invisible'?

:unsure:

please i wouldn't like to start editing all off topic posts..
kindly make it a bit easier for us

either stay on topic or feel free to start a new thread discussing 'status' designer consumption B)

thanks lena, johnny and everyone who keeps calm.
i think there's two things in this thread, a tendency to mock each other and then some people who bring in interesting points about what fashion means to them ...

maybe it would indeed be good to start a new thread as lena suggested.
apart from that let's please stay on topic here, thanks:flower:

I concur. Please everyone lets get on with talking about fashion.

Lena said:
082405_2.jpg

that picture is too cute...... i cant get over it

Actually it is very cute, although a bit contrived! I don't think he's going to be able to catch any waves with that board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warholy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->