"localised" Shoe Collections?!

tott

slightly dizzy
Reaction score
OK, I was browsing the Neiman Marcus site and was very surprised when I looked at the Prada shoes... There were all kinds of shoes (mens/womens) with logos on them. Embroidered, metal plates or the enamel triangle. I have to say I was surprised, because I've hardly ever seen any logos on any kind of Prada shoes, except for one or two pairs of loafers I've seen at the shops in Monte Napoleone and Galleria V E...

What is this? Simply different shoes for different markets? Maybe I shouldn't be so surprised, but these shoes were so logomaniacal. Not what I personally expect from Prada.

(I thought it was disgusting btw, high heels with the logo triangle attached to the back of the heel and such things...)

Oh, just for clarity: I'm in Italy, Neiman Marcus is of course based in the US.

Originally posted by tott@Feb 16th, 2004 - 8:19 am
Oh, just for clarity: I'm in Italy, Neiman Marcus is of course based in the US.
im with you TOTT!

there is def different lines for different markets. the shoes you are referring to are a big "no no" in my neck of the woods too. :ninja: and no prada boutique would actually put them on display.
i would say its a basic line for those who really really want a "prada" shoe :lol:

Its the same collection for everywhere, but different markets prefer different stuff, so the buyers buy what they like from the collection. Not every style gets bought either. When I worked in designer shoes, we only sold about 50% of the collection, the rest never even got made. This is completely normal. Thats why you see different stuff in different countries or sometimes you see stuff on the catwalk then never see it again.

Its also completely normal to present a catwalk collection, and a basics collection - this is the heavily branded stuff you are talking of. It is the heavily branded stuff that makes the money. If Prada relied on the catwalk stuff it would not be profitable. They actually sell very little of the catwalk stuff and make most profit on the nylon bags and branded shoes.

Fact of life that most people play safe with clothing and if they buy designer they want the comfort of a visible logo.

in my opinion (which of course many would beg to differ), i just DONT LIKE prada... AT ALL.. its too... mass produced... :sick: :yuk: and those microfiber bags began to look so tasteless :shock: and they were once actually nice... but tis too much for me. after that mass prada revolution, i just took my prada microfiber bag and sold it to anyone who wanted it..

they're hit or miss... i have a white prada bag in leather which i will never give up -- ever.. because that was the last bag my daddy bought for me when he was in milan.. before he passed away :( :(
*sigh*

Originally posted by pinkmonkey@Feb 16th, 2004 - 6:09 pm
Its the same collection for everywhere, but different markets prefer different stuff, so the buyers buy what they like from the collection. Not every style gets bought either. When I worked in designer shoes, we only sold about 50% of the collection, the rest never even got made. This is completely normal. Thats why you see different stuff in different countries or sometimes you see stuff on the catwalk then never see it again.

Its also completely normal to present a catwalk collection, and a basics collection - this is the heavily branded stuff you are talking of. It is the heavily branded stuff that makes the money. If Prada relied on the catwalk stuff it would not be profitable. They actually sell very little of the catwalk stuff and make most profit on the nylon bags and branded shoes.

Fact of life that most people play safe with clothing and if they buy designer they want the comfort of a visible logo.
basically it all depends on the BUYER of the company :wink:

i think those shoes are GROSS at neimanmarcus.com but they havent gotten their "real" spring stock in yet...i checked at my local NM store & they will be getting in the much nicer runway shoes at the stores, thank god :rolleyes: .

Originally posted by tott@Feb 16th, 2004 - 1:55 am
OK, I was browsing the Neiman Marcus site and was very surprised when I looked at the Prada shoes... There were all kinds of shoes (mens/womens) with logos on them. Embroidered, metal plates or the enamel triangle. I have to say I was surprised, because I've hardly ever seen any logos on any kind of Prada shoes, except for one or two pairs of loafers I've seen at the shops in Monte Napoleone and Galleria V E...

What is this? Simply different shoes for different markets? Maybe I shouldn't be so surprised, but these shoes were so logomaniacal. Not what I personally expect from Prada.

(I thought it was disgusting btw, high heels with the logo triangle attached to the back of the heel and such things...)
:sick: I mostly see those kinds of logo-heavy stuff on discount websites-bluefly, etc...

I think they do better in suburban markets-I think all logo stuff does in general-status symbol...blah blah blah...

I'm with you tott-disgustingly horrific :sick:

I think they are doing a lot more of the heavy logoed stuff than they used to- but I read reports on wgsn that they are not doing well at all at the moment as the last collection didnt sell- so there is probably a lot of pressure to make 'bread and butter' boring obvious stuff.
They were wanting to float the company, but they keep putting it off.
Agree its hideous - those logos on the shoes look really out of place. I don't mind branding as long as its cleverly done, but these are just 'slapped on'

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
effettovetro
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->