Locations For An "Indie" Fashion Show?!

brian

Reaction score
I'm starting my own label, and I really want to do a runway show (no matter how small or crappy it will have to be beause of lack of money). Do any of you know of any places I could hold one? Like, are there any "fashion week" type things for unknowns? :huh:

In New York I know alot of smaller designers show at the GenArt show during fashion week. As far as venues I think as long as it's during Fashion Week and your timing doesn't conflict with any of the major shows it's more about who you know and the clothing than the venue.

last year i was in an indie show at a gay church. thats an interesting venue...

Well, I don't know San Antonio,TX, but I know in Kansas City, there's a little subculture of artsy independent designers, based largely out of the Crossroads district, with ties to the KC Art Institute. You might want to see if there is much of an underground fashion community in San Antonio, and see if you could get into a collaborative effort with some of them. Then, renting a venue, as well as getting music, props, models, ect can be delegated out. Isabella's and Birdies' here in KC have semi-regular shows that are open to other designers and they are always a romping good time. Birdies' does custom underpants.

the woods anywhere provide a good background and great contrast in lighting.also tey an amusement park the colour i great sorry i dont know about the locations in that place.

Just somewhere with a walkway and a clean enviroment and the area is also important like you don't want to have the presentation in a ghetto like area right? choose some place that's clean respectable and similar to somewhere that vogue would do a photo shoot :flower:

Or you could go in the opposite direction and hold it in an old factory, etc. It depends on the image you want though... :flower:

This may seem like a strange question, but why do you want to have a show?

If funds are tight are you really going to be able to put on something that will give you a decent return?

Consider the main reasons for having a show: Trade buyer interest and press coverage.

Even if you put your show on to coincide with fashion week the chances of you getting the right people in your audience are slim at best (you'll fill the venue - but thats not the point).

You might be better trying to create some form of collaborative with other designers - the idea of 3-5 new designers in one show makes it a much more attractive proposition or 'must see event' for the press & trade. You'd gain far more by joining up than you'd lose by not having total control.

Plus collaborative efforts often are a lot of fun. Independent designers can get pretty isolated and proprietary about their work, so doing a collab is a good way to see what other people in a similar situation are doing, and to swap tips, kvetch, brag, and cut up. It definitely helps increase your return as balanced against the time one puts into a show and the costs of putting on the show. Also, with several designers showing in the same venue, there's a better chance of offering something for everyone. My offerings were a bit butch for last season--a lot of utility-wear-inspired gear...cargo pockets in every size, in lots of locations, straps and buckles, and a very brown palatte. One guy did loads of PVC and fetish-inspired stuff--a little Gaultier-esque. This one really far-out woman there did deconstructed formalwear, with canvas interfacing and boning showing through sheer panels, and fuzzy, inside-out seams, while another did straight-up fantasy eveningwear.

Are you an organizer and leader type of person, or are you better as a go-between/diplomat? Are you a creative mind, but not so good at getting an idea out of the clouds and on firm ground, or are you the sort of person who brainstorms elegant solutions in your sleep and wakes up and has them in the works by noon? You'll definitely want to evaluate your strengths and modus operandi and see where you fall short and where you excel, and maybe see about gathering a few other people to work with you who have what you lack.

In the collab I was involved with this past spring, I discovered that I'm not very good at promotion, that I was probably the best actual craftswoman there, that my designs are a bit tame, but ultimately pretty marketable because they're essentially appropriate for the woman on the street. I learned that I don't have a lot of patience for "flaky" people who say they're going to do something and then forget, or who big up their skills, then do a halfassed job at their so-called specialty. It was overall a cool experience, and I am planning on getting in on their spring show once again. I missed the fall show due to a time crush. The local indie/underground newspaper always covers these shows, and they're essentially the audience I would be targeting, anyway, so it was an ideal situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->