London Fashion Week

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by kit, Feb 20, 2004.

View Users: View Users
  1. kit

kit New Member

2. Urban Stylin

Urban Stylin ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

i thought new york olutdid london this time

3. Atelier

Atelier Hoppity Hop

After reading the first paragraph I thought the article would try to lay the blame exclusively on those movie and music award shows. But then it seemed to touch on several key reasons why London, although definitely one of the "Big Four," is so lagging in prestiege behind NY, Milan and Paris.

This is a very good point that not only applies to London, but to every established fashion week too. In the "New York Fashion Week Bites" thread in this forum, I think this is the point I was getting at but didn't word as well.

I think London excels when it is out there in "mad professor" land. The trick is to do it while making the clothes look good even if they are unsellable in their current state or unwearable on the street. Again this applies to designers everywhere too. On the other hand, look at Patrick Robinson's Perry Ellis. I think that's what this author is referring to by "Gap or M&S" but guess what, that stuff is going to sell because the pieces will retail for $38 to $225. It's not going to make front page news but in the aggregate it will draw buyers and create more of an audience for, in this case, NY fashion week.

Frost French, Boudicca, Sophia K., Ghost and even Julien Macdonald (we have to have some theater), made this LFW worthwhile. Arkadius didn't deliver and too many other collections were, as the author put it, "self-indulgent." Other than that, my attention was on Madrid and even the stuff coming out of Beirut.

4. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

fwd London a/w 04.-05 roundup :flower:

i so agree :ninja:

5. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

Its not so much the battles of the ludicrously experimental to the downright boring--the media just focuses too much on the particulars...the established and the ones that are causing all the hooplah. They get disppointed,its their own fault. London had a great season,in my eyes. Lots of creative and equally wearable collections and only a couple looked stagnant.

I agree about Boudicca. Its one thing to be melancholic but that show was much too aggressive... pretentious.

6. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

I agree on this.