London: The New Fashion Capital?!

Master Wood

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is totally the right place for this thread, but I'll let the moderators be the judge.

So if you're anything like me you will have found it hard not to notice that London seems to be making somewhat of a comeback, Burberry, Matthew Williamson, Pringle, Jonathan Saunders, and Clements Ribeiro have all recently announced their intentions to show in the capital this September tying in with the weeks 25th birthday celebrations and a big move to a new venue at Somerset House, a centrally located landmark which will allow visitors of the city to really get to see London as opposed to actually being very limited in Kensington where the venue is usually held on the lawns of the natural history museum.

There are rumors banding around about the possibility of various other designers coming home, namely Alexander McQueen and John Galliano. Any body know anymore than these rumors?

It would be easy for Lee to return because he lives and his studios are based in London so if anything the emergence of London works to his favour, Galliano on the other hand I see as being a bit more difficult, he has the massive task of Dior and he lives and works (Galliano) in Paris.

I'd also love to know what people think of all this? Is it a good/bad thing? Will it be a one season wonder? What should London do to maintain the momentum, and does it have the strength, ability, and talent to make it as the number 1 fashion week?

I'd really love to know all your thoughts, opinions and ummm rumors.

I think Paris will remain the fashion capital because of its history. Haute Couture, by definition, cannot exist outside of Paris correct? I mean, in terms of its definition by the Chambre de commerce et d'industrie de Paris.

I accept any and all arguments to the contrary of course but I equate Paris with classics & quality and London with eccentric, irreverent aesthetics. Of course, I understand these are generalizations. Anyways, fashion wouldn't be what it is today without the contributions from NYC, London, Paris, Milan, and Tokyo.

Well I think there can be more than one capital, its just London is definitely rising in terms importance. Burberry says they will show this coming fall, but did not say if they plan on continuing there after.. I hope they do, it just makes so much sense for Burberry to show in London..

I understand what you are saying Fabulyss, but I think one really does need to question how much longer couture can exist, its legacy most certainly anchors Paris historically as the most important place for fashion, and I'm not about to rehash the conventional arguments and controversies that surround couture and its hefty price tags because quite frankly I don't care. But when Lacroix is filing for bankruptcey, Dior scaling right back to their salons, and as heartbreakingly sad it is to note, Mr Lagerfelds age, one really does have to question what next?

I also fully support and respect opinion that fashion at large is a global effort unassigned to any country, city, or type of person. But Paris' importance and place in fashion is transparent and undeniable, and I believe its fair to say that the industry finds in Paris all aspects and niches of the field, from the frivolous to the innovative, the unconventional to the commercial. So my argument isn't concerned with which city is the best, but is more interested in whether London has the calibre of designers, the infrastructure, and the interest to become the city Wintour and Co simply wouldn't miss, and what tFS users thinks it needs to do to be so?

I live in London and I disagree that it's the new fashion capital. Paris forever!

well to me london will forever be the epicentre for creativity,indie fashion and all things eclectic and quirky. you think about all the british talent-of yore and till now,it's quite ambient and they have left a huge mark. you think back to the early 80's where did the antwerp six go before anywhere else? they went to london,not paris.

I understand what you are saying Fabulyss, but I think one really does need to question how much longer couture can exist, its legacy most certainly anchors Paris historically as the most important place for fashion, and I'm not about to rehash the conventional arguments and controversies that surround couture and its hefty price tags because quite frankly I don't care. But when Lacroix is filing for bankruptcey, Dior scaling right back to their salons, and as heartbreakingly sad it is to note, Mr Lagerfelds age, one really does have to question what next?

I also fully support and respect opinion that fashion at large is a global effort unassigned to any country, city, or type of person. But Paris' importance and place in fashion is transparent and undeniable, and I believe its fair to say that the industry finds in Paris all aspects and niches of the field, from the frivolous to the innovative, the unconventional to the commercial. So my argument isn't concerned with which city is the best, but is more interested in whether London has the calibre of designers, the infrastructure, and the interest to become the city Wintour and Co simply wouldn't miss, and what tFS users thinks it needs to do to be so?

Not that sad :innocent:

Even without couture, Paris reigns ... but I would love to see Burberry continue showing in London. The first time I was watching the shows, I kept waiting for Burberry to show during London fashion week :huh:

Galliano must certainly be only a rumor. That would be like moving Vuitton to NY just because MJ is from there ... or, more apt, moving Chanel to Berlin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ But Galliano is the original London Punk, his presence is more apt than anyone non?

Ahh yes but Galliano? Thats a different story do you not think? In the same way Marc shows in NY but also for Louis Vuitton in Paris.

^ Yes, he could do that ... but he would have to roll back his deadline ... I hate it when that happens to me :wacko:

well to me london will forever be the epicentre for creativity,indie fashion and all things eclectic and quirky. you think about all the british talent-of yore and till now,it's quite ambient and they have left a huge mark. you think back to the early 80's where did the antwerp six go before anywhere else? they went to london,not paris.

wouldnt london fashion week be more accessible that paris fashion week?

but that's more to do with the system not the culture of style in the city. no,the system unfortunately leaves much to be desired but you can't argue the spirit of it's talents....the style of it's people.

Paris will always be Paris, but London is (or is becoming) the current fashion epicenter much like it was in the late 60s. When you break fashion into segments, you will find that in most segments many of the most exciting and influential players are based in Britain or have British roots. London / Great Britain figures prominiently in street style and culture, producing exciting designers like Galliano, McQueen, Williamson, Gaultier, photographers like Sundsbo and McDean, fashion design schools, publications like i-D - although I think that on the schools and publication front they are good, but not necessarily exceptional.

Last edited by a moderator:
agreed! ^

i think London is the most exciting centre of fashion at the moment - when you want something new, look to London and you'll find it!

According to vogue.com Jasmine Di Milo is coming back to London in September as well. Luella will remain showing in the capital, and Giles is in talks with the BFC trying to keep his show in London.

I think Paris is still the most important city when it comes to fashion. It's the one fashion week that gets the most hype...

as far as living though, London seems to be the new real estate hotspot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imi
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->