Louis Vuitton ‘Capucines’ Handbags S/S 2022 : Léa Seydoux by Steven Meisel

Not one of the better photos I’ve seen of Léa, to put it mildly.

It's very mediocre, but very appropriate for a handbag campaign.

The thing that still puzzles me that why they keep insisting Léa be the face of this bag. It's not believable. A woman that has a dynamic personality like her will never carry around the Capucines. They should find someone else.

They have a bag they could fashion into a Kelly/Miss Dior classic for the brand, but somehow, every piece of promotion for the Capucines feels lukewarm.

Lea doesn't look like a cultured woman visiting a famous museum, she looks like she's taking time out in a random room with the 80s abstract wall patterns you'd get in an old McDonalds restaurant.

That said, why bother concentrating on building up the legend of one bag, when you can release a hundred other shapes and colours each season, and rely on them to sell like sweets to children.

The thing that still puzzles me that why they keep insisting Léa be the face of this bag. It's not believable. A woman that has a dynamic personality like her will never carry around the Capucines. They should find someone else.

I disagree, I think it’s their best offering. The campaign isn’t good, but that’s nothing to do with Léa being too dynamic for the bag. An instant classic is a classic!

Last edited:
I disagree, I think it’s their best offering. The campaign isn’t good, but that’s nothing to do with Léa being too dynamic for the bag. An instant classic is a classic!

Classic or not, if it is not a good fit, it's not a good fit.

The Capucines were introduced during the Marc Jacobs era while Léa is a Nicolas Muse/BA. Trying to force the MJ-era bag onto NG muses will never work because their muses don't share the same dynamic.

They are two different eras with different visions that will never have the same common artistically. Their approach to both bags and fashion is not the same so their muses reflect on that.

MJ bags are very safe and have that timeless appeal because that's what selling during his era, the clothes have to compliment the bags, while NG era the dynamic has shifted. The clothes became the focus so the bags become more outrageous to be on pair the experimental clothes.

If they want to advertise the Capucines, they should ask Marc muse like Catherine Deneuve.

My understanding is that LV would like the Cappucines to transcend trends and be an enduring staple. While the bag was introduced in 2013, during Marc's final year at LV, most of its success has been under Nicolas, it's been a consistent seller during his "era", indicating that there's a huge market for something less flashy and trendy and logo'd than many of their other offerings. I think the original face of the Cappucines was Michelle Williams, who I would say has quite a similar appeal as Lea Seydoux (though I prefer Williams' campaigns). Both respected actresses in serious films, mothers, established, nearing middle-age. They even sport similar hairstyles in their respective campaigns!

20130913-110547.jpg
spottedfashion.com

Last edited:
We all know the mark-up for these products is insane, but we're willing to tolerate it, if they craft a fantasy that calls to us like a siren.

Selling a classic does take work. The origin, the creation, may be spontaneous, but it takes ongoing work to preserve and promote the reputation of a classic piece, to ensure it only becomes burnished with time, enriched with values that even a casual acquaintance of the brand can recognise.

Look at that advert. Look at flat and bland it is. It's not selling anything 'classic', it's selling a complete lack of effort.

She looks beautiful. I see this new campaign as a continuation to her museum ads last season.

We all know the mark-up for these products is insane, but we're willing to tolerate it, if they craft a fantasy that calls to us like a siren.

Selling a classic does take work. The origin, the creation, may be spontaneous, but it takes ongoing work to preserve and promote the reputation of a classic piece, to ensure it only becomes burnished with time, enriched with values that even a casual acquaintance of the brand can recognise.

Look at that advert. Look at flat and bland it is. It's not selling anything 'classic', it's selling a complete lack of effort.

I agree wholeheartedly! This campaign falls flat and doesn't do anyone any favors. On paper, Lea + beautiful and renowned French gallery + Meisel sounds so promising and appropriate for helping to craft that sense of an alluring classic. But it just doesn't live up to that promise, not by a long shot. I'm curious to see other shots from the campaign, though.

Also why am I spelling it "cappucines"? I fell off

Indeed styled by Marie-Amelié Sauvé, @[B]ivano[/B].

This is miles better than Léa Seydoux’s previous advertising campaign for Vuitton’s Capucines handbag collection, which was incredibly flat and lifeless. Seydoux has presence here, love the lighting, the pose and the sophisticated monochromatic styling.

Indeed styled by Marie-Amelié Sauvé, @[B]ivano[/B].

This is miles better than Léa Seydoux’s previous advertising campaign for Vuitton’s Capucines handbag collection, which was incredibly flat and lifeless. Seydoux has presence here, love the lighting, the pose and the sophisticated monochromatic styling.
So glad she still working with him! It's easy to identify her work, she's so artsy.

Classic or not, if it is not a good fit, it's not a good fit.

The Capucines were introduced during the Marc Jacobs era while Léa is a Nicolas Muse/BA. Trying to force the MJ-era bag onto NG muses will never work because their muses don't share the same dynamic.

They are two different eras with different visions that will never have the same common artistically. Their approach to both bags and fashion is not the same so their muses reflect on that.

MJ bags are very safe and have that timeless appeal because that's what selling during his era, the clothes have to compliment the bags, while NG era the dynamic has shifted. The clothes became the focus so the bags become more outrageous to be on pair the experimental clothes.

If they want to advertise the Capucines, they should ask Marc muse like Catherine Deneuve.
The Capucines may have been designed during Marc’s era, it wasn’t designed by Marc’s team so it has always sat on this weird place. It’s a very institutional bag designed for Vuitton to have a place in the market at that time.
Marc did some glorious alterations of the monogram but his work mostly made people buy more classic bags from Vuitton. In the early 10’s, when that obsession over some particular classic designer bags, in leather started, Vuitton was behind. A woman would probably buy a 5000€ Chanel bag in leather or a Dior bag in leather but she was always going to get an Alma in classic monogram than the leather version…

The Capucines was designed for a reason and was pushed in a very agressive way by Vuitton. It’s boring bag but I think Lea incarnate it well in the campaigns. I just don’t think she has that « fashion icon » aura to embody the spirit of the bag off campaign. It’s like Marion Cotillard for Dior…

A lot of Nicolas bags have became permanent bags at Vuitton. So this bag kinda feels weird.

They wanted a flagship +3000€ bag that can be part of their permanent collection and compete with Chanel, Hermes or Dior. La Petite Malle seems to be that for me!

But I guess the heavy marketing works. This bag sells.

I love how Nicolas referenced his Balenciaga SS2005 collection. I saw the pants too on the website…

I guess this was shot remotely because I refuse to believe that Meisel flew from NYC to shoot at the Musée de l’Orangerie…

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellbell
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"