Louis Vuitton Mens F/W 2019 Paris

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by Melancholybaby, Jan 17, 2019.

1. jeanclaude

jeanclaude Well-Known Member

Let´s be realistic (and blunt): Virgil Abloh is creative director for Louis Vuitton because he is Kanye West´s little w.h.o.r.e.

That´s it, that´s all. If you remove Kanye from this equation, Virgil would be creative director of his own brand...at Etsy.

Nepotism galore...and not an ounce of creativity here.

Benn98, YohjiAddict and TaylorBinque like this.
  2. ghostwriter10549

ghostwriter10549 Well-Known Member

I get where you coming from, but this type of argument like "but he is creating conversation" is kinda weak. Trump creates conversation, Kendall creates conversation, Jersey Shore creates conversation, spinners creates conversation... Anyone, in theory, can create conversation, however Virgil, believe or not, did NOT create mediocrity in fashion and thats what this is all about, we are talking about how low this is for fashion. If we were living in 2002 designers like him would not suvirvue one single season. The bars are so low now that we dont have another thing to look if not this type of tragedies.

50 shades of gray was a bestseller and Vetements as well. Look were they are now, there is no thread for the Vetements new collection too...

3. jeanclaude

SO TRUE! It´s time people begin to learn that being a "best-seller" doesn´t mean that work/creation/product is really valuable.

Benn98 likes this.
  4. jeanclaude

For a "creative director" who loves copying from past designers, it seems this time Mr.Abloh didn´t make his homework:

youtube.com fashion channel

5. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

^^
    Yes @jeanclaude! My favorite RTW collection ever!

The menswear of that season was also very inspired by HipHop. It was the time when Gucci was mentionned on every song...

I don’t think people hates him and think that he is untalented. I just think that people hates mediocricy and laziness and unfortunately, what he does somehow represents all of that.
    Talent, he does have some talent. He has an eye for doing eye-catching pieces and it connect to people. His rise to success is amazing.

I don’t hate Virgil, i hate that the industry makes possible for people like him (like they did with Lindsay Lohan, Victoria Beckham, Kanye West) to have a voice in the industry. Fashion is a serious thing. It’s so serious that we have an entire forum dedicated to it. It’s so serious that insane wealth has been made thanks to it.
    And for me, his work or at least, the way he execute it doesn’t show respect to fashion.

Beckham at least, like the Olsen, made an effort to do something polished (while disposable). Virgil is just hustling. He has so many projects that fashion is almost just another cheque or a way to have influence on the culture.

But in a way, I must don’t blame him but blame the game because in reality, the executives only thinks about business.

The irony in you mentioning Raf is that Raf was a flop at Calvin when Virgil, who is beyond inspired by his body of work, is selling well at Vuitton.

JWA had two fantastic shows in Paris. He owned it! Perfect. Loewe was a pleasure of luxury and fashion.

GivenchyAddict likes this.
  6. rip_ian curtis

rip_ian curtis Active Member

You got the wrong idea - I wasn’t defending him.

My point was that any kind of conversation, whether negative or positive, keeps his name afloat, and at least I wouldn’t want to allow any more buzz for him. That’s why I was pointing out how it’s a pity there’s a thread (albeit critical) on his collection while many better collections and accomplished designers are left totally undiscussed.

jeanclaude and ghostwriter10549 like this.
  7. ghostwriter10549

ghostwriter10549 Well-Known Member

Got it. Yea its kinda sad, I could create a thread for the Loewe's new collection, but IDK why I dont...
    The only thing good that Virgil is doing is putting on highlight the menswear weak, more people are paying attention now.

8. jeanclaude

Ok, now you have explained perfectly. And I agree with you...but it´s just so fun ranting about "designers" like him, that I can´t help it! :brows:

I wish fashion industry, and not only this forum, would pay attention to all those fashion designers who are left in the dust; while being very talented.

ghostwriter10549 likes this.
  9. jeanclaude

That Gucci collection was so special. It is very difficult to make satin look casual and relaxed...but Tom got it perfectly! 18 years have passed; and it still looks as fresh and sleek than in 2001.

By the way, I do hate Virgil (and all those sycophants around him). Can´t help it, when I see collections like Gucci S/S 2001...and then I see what they are tossing today...