Louis Vuitton Menswear F/W 2021.22 Paris

The presentation was good and some of the coats and pants are nice BUT much of it is very gimmicky and the piss poor tailoring is very obvious in many of the pieces. Though its not boring, he is bad but he is not Maria Grazia bad, that b!tch is another level of low.

The opening remind me of Westworld somehow, overall the presentation is really good. The music is really fitting with the clothes.

As for the clothes, I do like tailoring and the outerwear and the accessories is really good. A lot of improvement from his last season inflation disastrous. There are some nice elements here and there but styling them altogether make the total outfits and collection quite dated and cliché. It's using nostalgia without injecting any modernity in it, so the result looks costumes for movies any not clothes you would wear today. And I don't like the trend of the strap band of the bag is getting bigger, it make whole bag look cheap.

As for Virgil, even when he is experimental it just still safe and there is no excitement,just gimmicks. There is no authenticity because he doing it not to express his creativity but only for shock values on social media. Because who gonna buy all of this experimental stuff. Not his hypebeast clients since they are all about the logos, and people that wear Walter, CDG or any "avant-garde" Japanese designers wouldn't caught death in his clothes. So at the end of the day what making money is the accessories and the monogram clothes anyway.

I guessed this is the strategy of LV, because just like Nicolas (before anyone jump at me, I'm not saying they are the same level, but since they are in the same house, of course I'm have to mention him too) where they created OTT clothes that never made into the stores so they can sell more monogram basic. Because I feel like both of them are trying to be experimental at the wrong house because the core LV clients (that I know of) is quite conservative (they still wear LV by Marc but not Nicolas). Virgil should take a look at the woman wear and go all out because while LV woman is a fashionable fashion victims, the LV men is just hypebeast boy.

PS: I would prefer to looks like 30 Avenue Montaigne rather the whole street of Paris or New York. I appreciate the effort but thank u, next.

very strong. pick apart the pieces and there's a lot of very good stuff

Surprisingly I don’t hate it. It’s a mess but there’s some improvement in terms of tailoring and it’s kinda fun.
I think Virgil totally understood the luxury clientele today and obviously hypebeasts. Ultimately, rich men don’t go to Vuitton for suits. There are many brands or tailors for that.

What I think is really good is that it looks fun. It’s something that Virgil has in common with Marc, you see the fun. Obviously, he had fun copying the designers he copied but he also had fun playing with the monogram, with the archives from both Marc & Nicolas and also from everything Vuitton has proposed.

For example, the monogram miroir coat, despite being badly cut, looks fun! And Virgil is very good with bags.

The element of fun is something that lacks in Nicolas’s work. Nicolas is very serious designer. He has fun playing with fabrics and mixing weird references and stuff but his fashion is not « fun ». And it’s the same approach with bags...The bags he created to go with his vision are perfect but suddenly when he has to play and have fun with the monogram on a classic Keepall, it feels a little bit contrived. Virgil on the other hand has that pop element...

The best thing Virgil does at Vuitton is the bags and particularly the fun takes on the Keepall. Those are really covetable pieces.

Oh, he's doing men in skirts now.

Where, oh, where, will we ever be without his rabble-rousing, rule-breaking ways?

(And, is it me, or do some of those coats look like they were made w/o any interfacing?)

- image source vogue.com

Missing some attention to detail…

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->