Louis Vuitton S/S 2019 Paris

Show of the season! From the first look, great proportions and great shapes!

+ touch of Prada hypebeast, more than a touch of NG Balenciaga, bit of a finger to Virgil..... Can't he start and end every fashion season like this?

I kinda like it, it has this vaporwave vibe that's really appealing. This feels like it's targeting a younger audience, it's seems way cooler to me for some reason. I would love to own the bombers or some garment with the scribble print, like those pants on Kris, really adorable. The set was perfect for the collection. It seems like his doing that space thing he's always been obsessed with but in a lighter, almost cartoon-ish manner.

Edit: Those geometrical coats and jackets are quite nice too. A member in here would do well to research what a sitcom is...

I've always thought the problem with him at Vuitton is the lack of house signatures and silhouettes. Balenciaga worked because he could always find something interesting and recognizable in the archives and then paired it with something very new and unexpected. At Vuitton this kind of base is missing and he ends up making things that often look simply strange and somehow forgettable. There are moments that echo the past glory of Balenciaga, such as those piped sleeves in the beginning and the paneling of the bubble coats, but they end up lacking something.

I still think his debut at Vuitton was his strongest. It felt very luxurious and echoed chic and bourgeois style, yet had touches of the 50s, 60s and 70s which is very signature of Nicolas. After that he has decided to go after the "futuristic" spirit he was known for at Balenciaga, but I've never felt it to be right direction for Vuitton.

some of this is genuinely hideous and some silhouettes are simply baffling, but as a whole i really like this? what is happening? I'm confused :D

I am in love with the prints :heart:

Balenciaga hats and jackets at a Louis Vuitton show? How is that possible!! ?

This is like people from the late 80's early 90's thought people from the "future" would wear.

i really dislike those grandma floral print, but the shape of clothes and some patchwork coats seems promising

I like the first look and that's about it.
Probably the most unimaginative collection he's put out.
Feels like something you'd see at New York Fashion Week rather than Paris.

_VUI0489.jpg

I'm going to have nightmares tonight. I know it's a matter of taste, but reading some people defending this...thing is beyond my understanding. Topshop Unique with four zeros on the price tag.

I called shade too but what is the nature of their relation? Was he even present at Virgil's first "proposition"?

I've seen Nicolas like a lot posts by Diet Prada that mocked Virgil and were really negative about his work. I kinda thought Nicolas was above that but I guess designers have a little bit of "mean girls" spirit sometimes lol. In general though, I feel like people their age ought to be past dissing each other but who knows. I don't even like Virgil's work that much but damn.

Last edited:
ICK!!!

I expected a parade of trash and that's exactly what came down the runway. This collection feels irrelevant and dated. It's has one of the ugliest color palettes I've ever seen. Those 90's Confetti/Saved By The Bell prints are hideous. The prints are not ironic in the slightest. Most of this collection looks like it was dug up in a time capsule from 1992. Then he decided to "play" with proportions by conjuring up the most hideous looking Cardin-esque treatment on sleeves. As usual everything looks stiff and boxy. The shoes are are just wrong. Why he didn't take Pierre Hardy with him remains a mystery. Overall there is no sophistication, intelligence, or control. It's a sloppy and mediocre interpretation of futurism. He's become a caricature of himself.

It's really beyond my understanding how this collection can receive any approval when most of the ideas he discovered here were done before, more tastefully and to a more refined outcome, during his previous tenure at Balenciaga. The actual sad truth is that none of his collections at Vuitton managed to reach his work there.

just a question, Nicolas is doing menswear in his womens collection ,why do we need Virgil ?????? Now they both send down menswear on the runway ? what a joke????

Some of the look reminds a lot of Nicolas's early Balenciaga work from 2002-2003

New wave suits are so passe, toss it. Memphis design print is dated, pass on it. Bauhaus off shoulder bulk, tacky.
It's not like it's a bad collection, in fact most of it is great, new fabric, techy floral pattern, and
accordion like sleeves, and the color blocks are lovely. But those three hedious things killed the vibe.

perfect end to the most mediocre season i have witnessed in 10 yrs ...fashion needs help ....Quick ....

I wonder if the menswear looks were a shade to Virgil because it was rumored that Nicolas was supposed to take over LV menswear after Kim's departure. Anyway, this has to be his worst collection for LV. I just don't understand what he's going for. Ugly prints, ugly coats, ugly proportions.

The lack of an historic archive for inspiration is killing his offerings at Vuitton. This is just him. Another futuristic skilled designer. Maybe a tad more talented than others but that's all. He better start referencing Mark ASAP.

That said, if he had shown this at Balenciaga 12 years ago people would be drooling.

Best thing was showing mens clothes. This is war. Or maybe he knows something we don't know and if mens line sells big, maybe Virgil will take full control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellbell
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"