Louise Dahl-Wolfe - Photographer

travolta said:
off topic: have you guys seen the buena vista social club documentary?
i did!!:heart:
i've watched quite a few documentaries about them actually..dont know if the one you mention if among them :D
too bad they wont be playing anymore and i never got to see them:(

great thread by the way, i'm loving most of these pics..very melancholic for me at least:blush:

glad you guys are enjoying this...
i have to say that the 'twins on the beach shot' reminds me desperately of another image...

i think it is christy turlington in a calvin klein ad...maybe shot by patrick demarchelier...??...it's driving me a bit crazy...

i'm really quite blown away by the fact that these were all shot by a woman...especially at that time...very strong images...very cool...imo..B)

Louise Dahl-Wolfe: Photographer

I was quite suprised that there was no thread on this wonderful photographer, but I thought I should share the wonderfulness ^_^ .
Ms Louis Dahl-Wolfe created such powerful, riverting, alluring, smooth, beautiful, and spellbinding images. I put her with the ranks of Steinchen, Avedon, Newton, Ritz, Scavullo, and Meisel. I do hope you like them, and feel free to add on, comment, or anything else :flower:

Enjoy...........

Dahl_wolfe_Maids.jpg

Dahl_Wolfe_1454.jpg

Dahl-Wolfe_SParker.jpg

dior_ballgown_b.jpg

japanese_bath_b.jpg

jean_patchett_b.jpg

twins_at_the_beach_b.jpg

marysykesinpuertorico.jpg

balenciagagown%20.jpg

californianude.jpg

nataliehammamet.jpg

dahl-wolfe_04_bg.jpg

eiffel.jpg

107_6Lg.jpg

All the photographs are from my laptop....

Last edited by a moderator:
A little background.............

Louise Dahl grew up and went to art school in San Francisco. In her early 20's she visited the studio of Anne Brigman who had been one of the photographers associated with Stieglitz and Camera Work, and was an immediate convert to photography.
Following training as an interior decorator she took time off for a trip to Europe and North Africa, where she met American painter Meyer (Mike) Wolfe who she later married, becoming Louise Dahl-Wolfe.
On her return to San Francisco she took up photography more seriously, helped by contacts with other Californian photographers including Dorothea Lange and Edward Weston. When she and Mike moved to New York she got a magazine job as a food photographer, and some of her portraits were published by Vanity Fair. It was working for Harper's Bazaar for many years as their leading fashion photographer that made her famous. In her work she worked with all the famous figures of the day, including photographer Edward Steichen, art director Alexey Brodovitch, editor Carmel Snow and fashion editor Diana Vreeland.
Dahl-Wolfe remained a leading fashion photographer until her retirement at the end of the 1950s, when things began to change. She worked at a time when photographers were expected to produce ideas - she 'was never told what to do with a photograph, and Alexy Brodovitch never came to my studio on a sitting'.
Her work was a great influence on all fashion
, not least on Irving Penn and Richard Avedon. She was also a very fine portrait photographer.

http://photography.about.com/library/dop/bldop_ldahl-.htm

I like photography like this. Beautfiul thread, I'm very glad I noticed it.

Estella Mare said:
bellissima thanks for the thread but there actually was a thread on her before, so i merged.:flower:

also, 'from my laptop' is not a valid source, for more information see here:
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/f43/providing-source-credits-image-news-story-42390.html

i'm sorry, but if you can't provide the original credits, i'll have to remove the pictures.

I appreciate you merging the two.....when I was searching for a thread on her I couldnt find it, but thank you :flower: . Regarding the pictures, i went back to the internet, and found a site that has the photographs I posted (their doing a exhibit on them^_^ ). The source for the images is http://www.staleywise.com/collection/dahl_wolfe/dahl_wolfe.html

Thanks again Estella!

you're welcome bellissima and thanks for the source :kiss:

all the dahl-wolfe I have, source : vogue les grands photographes, histoire de la photographie de mode, catalogue exposition schiaparelli. Scans by me
dahl-wolfe 1939 bain de nuit fb

dahl-wolfe 1939 veste schiaparelli fb

dahl-wolfe 1946 costume de bain mcCardell fb

Dahl-Wolfe 1947 jacques heim robe château de madrid fb

dahl-wolfe 1947 robe de bal dior fb

dahl-wolfe 1948 maillot de bain mcCardell fb

dahl-wolfe 1949 robe du soir norman norell fb

dahl-wolfe sd ensemble hardy amies fb

I will try to find some others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads