Lucinda Chambers - Stylist

gius

Reaction score
There's always more to a designer label than the one or two designers behind it. We have also the important and influential people working with them!^_^

From The Observer Magazine

[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif] Lucinda Chambers
Creative director, Marni
[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif] For the past few years, one of the hottest show tickets in Milan has been for Marni, the folksy, artisan collection overseen by Consuelo Castiglioni. Fashionistas go crazy for the label's quirky handbags, as well as the charming mix of hand-crafted prints. The label's secret weapon is Lucinda Chambers, mother of three, textile fanatic and fashion director of British Vogue . 'I've done a lot of consultancies, from high street to designer,' says Chambers. [/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Her work with Marni, which was essentially a fur house, began when she was asked to work on an advertising campaign. The meeting turned into something bigger. 'I thought, why don't we do fashion fur coats? Why don't we make fur coats for younger people?' It was a meeting of minds. Chambers clicked with the family-run business. 'It was more about a way of life, and a way of wearing clothes. We started doing a relaxed, eclectic collection. Nothing is done from a business point of view. It's really, "What do we want to wear? What do our children want to wear?" We never think, "This is groovy and hip."' Whatever the formula, it has certainly worked. Marni's prints are now more influential than its furs, and the fashion world looks forward to each new collection with bated breath. 'They don't want to be big. We've been very surprised by its success. They feel it should be like a family restaurant you keep to yourself.' [/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Chambers, 42, began her working life after attending Hornsey Art College, as a PA to Vogue 's then editor, Beatrix Miller. 'I couldn't type or anything,' she says, but she enjoyed dressing up for work, and eventually got to assist the fashion director, Grace Coddington. Apart from a few years when she worked with Sally Brampton on the launch of British Elle , she has worked most of her life for Vogue . She spends about 22 weeks of the year away, shooting on location with photographers including Mario Testino, with whom she works a lot. One of her earlier consultancies was for Prada. At the time, nobody had even heard of the label. Chambers worked with Miuccia on the first collections for the brand and continued consulting for seven years. [/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]It's important to Chambers that she is given room to play. She admits to not being a very good businesswoman. She is far more interested in creative freedom. With Marni, there are few constraints. 'Creatively, I can just fly,' she says. Her own house is full of colour and fun, and her collections of fabrics and trimmings which she has been collecting since she was a child. She never throws any out, and they provide her with a constant source of reference material. [/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]'A collection can start with anything,' she says. 'The last one started with a belt. It was an old belt with chains and gold. Everything was based around this belt.' She found it in Portobello market, and knew it was a good find the minute she saw it. 'It can be anything, from pieces of old fabric to a pair of clogs, bedspreads, pencil sharpenings.' [/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]A true creative genius, Chambers finds inspiration in everything. She even keeps all her slivers of old soap because, she says, 'the colours are so pretty'. [/FONT]

The article, along with some other writings about Chambers and other stylists, is here: http://observer.guardian.co.uk/magazine/story/0,11913,841548,00.html

I should add that I watched a few Marni collections on tv, and they had Lucinda talk for Consuela (Chambers said she was a shy, private person)--Lucinda works to create the whole "look" with Consuela: they choose together the prints, colours, motifs, and also hair and everything else for the runway (in case some people are wondering what exactly she does as the stylist for the label).

I have to say it was nice and even amusing to see Lucinda and Consuela backstage, kind of far from the camera standing together, and they both looked like the models... in that they wore the clothing and accessories they made, their hair and make up also finished the look. It was really like "this collection is what kind of things we like to wear/how we live, etc."

Last edited by a moderator:
Lucinda Chambers - fashion director of British Vogue

Lucinda has worked as a fashion stylist for various Elle magazines and British Vogue as well as being a fashion consultant for companies such as Prada, Marni and Jil Sander.

This thread focuses solely on her work at the helm of British Vogue. She is an absolute creative force and no-one does layering quite like her.:heart:

I start with probably the most extraordinary editorial featured in the magazine. A real personal favourite of mine.

British Vogue January 2005

Road to Marrakech
Photo: Mario Testino
Model: Daria Werbowy

source: geocities.com/dariawerbowy

British Vogue April 2004

Haute Exotica
Model: Daria Werbowy

source: geocities.com/dariawerbowy

Both of those were GREAT editorials. Esp. the Road to marrakech. it was so so so perfectly timed and the styling on it is incredibly intricate. Beautiful :heart:

British Vogue November 2004

House on the Hill
Photo: Arthur Elgort
Model: Lily Cole

source: porcelainbeauty.com

Meg said:
Both of those were GREAT editorials. Esp. the Road to marrakech. it was so so so perfectly timed and the styling on it is incredibly intricate. Beautiful :heart:
Whatever photographer she works with, she's able to play off of them exquisitely. She truly turns styling into an art form. The attention she pays to silhouette and the details of accessories shows such formidable creativity!:heart:

I certainly can see her genius with layering ... her attention to detail and silohouette. In addition, I also noticed her color palettes; they help real;ly evoke the mood of the editorial ... she's brilliant!

Thank you for starting this thread and posting those images.

British Vogue December 2003

When Midnight Strikes
Model: Elise Crombez

source: bellazon.com

British Vogue August 2005

Seduced by the Dark Side
Model: Gemma Ward

source: geocities.com/simplygemmaward

British Vogue 2002

Castaway
Photo: Mert Alas and Marcus Piggot
Model: Kate Moss

source: katefan.net

British Vogue December 2000

Black Gold
Model: Angela Lindvall

source: hfgl

thanks for starting this thread karina...:heart:
great stories you chose to post as well
these are some of the very best stories published in ANY magazine in the last couple of years imo...

there is no question that this woman is super talented...
i didn't know she worked with marni...
she styles the shows?...very cool...
makes sense though in a way....

thanks to peppi too for the pics..!

British Vogue April 2002

Wild Things
Model: Carmen Kass and Jacquetta Wheeler

source: top.fason.ru

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics