Lyle Lodwick

Picture-8-1-520x349.jpg

Left to Right: Eric Lyle Lodwick, Cale Parks, Drew Montag Robinson.
Photo by Benjamin Lozovsky

Brahms

Cale Parks is a hard-working man. As the talented percussionist and multi-instrumentalist for Aloha and White Williams, as well as a studio and touring workhorse for a laundry list of indie stars, it would seem like a tough feat to find time to work on personal projects. Not for Parks though. He has released two albums and one EP since 2006, the latest of which he garnered acclaim for during a successful 2009 CMJ.

That’s when Parks met guitarist Drew Montag Robinson and bassist/synth player Eric Lyle Lodwick, and a musical relationship that began with Robinson and Lodwick adding live instrumentation to Parks’ solo work quickly blossomed into a like-minded conglomeration on yet another project.

Enter Brahms, a new group with a re-envisioned musical aesthetic. It’s one where all three members contribute equally, pushing the others to challenging new places while providing equal support for growth. Or as Lodwick slyly puts it, “it’s like your mom becoming your sister.”
The new vibe is heavy on hooks and plaintive but endearing vocal melodies, all wrapped in a sinister dance floor pulse. “This is the poppiest music I’ve ever made in my life, and I’m totally happy about that,” said Parks at his dimly lit Greenpoint studio.

For Parks, feeling at ease singing with clarity and without the shroud of delay pedals has been the biggest challenge. “It helps having two other guys singing with you, and writing lyrics,” admitted Parks. “Being three voices, that makes me more comfortable.”

In balancing such darkness with a lyrical melodicism and sincerity, Brahms might even echo the musical style of its illustrious namesake. Minus the club thump and feverish electro polyrhythms of course. “We just want a visceral reaction,” Robinson said.

As they hit the road with fellow electronic groovers Passion Pit, they should have plenty of opportunities for just that.
thewgnews.com

benjamin-lozovsky.squarespace.com

old stuff

Rxmance SS14
ph Bobby Whigham
st Shibon Kennedy
shibonkennedy.com

some more

bobbywhigham.com + mediumconcepts.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads