Mackenzie Phillips allegations

Discussion in 'Rumor has it...' started by lizbabe09, Sep 28, 2009.

View Users: View Users
  1. lizbabe09

lizbabe09 New Member

Actress Mackenzie Phillips went on Oprah last week and spoke about her book "High On Arrival" in which she claims to have had a ten year consensual relationship with her father John Phillips, member of the group the Mamas and the Papas (who passed away in 2001). Some family members, including half sister Bijou Phillips are speaking out against Mackenzie and defending John. Have you guys heard about this?

2. fashion tyger

fashion tyger New Member

Insane!!! this year has been insane!!!.....I gotta buy this book!!!.....what can you say to something like this.....I am in total shock!!!

3. ckashie

ckashie New Member

Chynna has supported her and so has the daughter of another Mamas & Papas member. Apparantly calls to abuse/rape/incest hotlines have increased dramatically so Mackenzie has been successful in wanting to bring attention to this issue. Personally it doesn't surprise me about her stepmothers denying it- this is common in a lot of abuse situations (the wife being in denial, father-daughter is by far the most common incestuous abuse situation). Michelle's statement was pretty nasty though, saying that Mackenzie basically couldn't be trusted because she'd been a drug addict and was just jealous of her siblings who hadn't become addicts (even though Bijou went to rehab for heroin).

But I can understand Bijou, she pointed out that she had lived alone with her father since the age of three and doesn't understand that if people knew what her dad was doing, why no-one would have intervened. It's such an awful situation for the family, but if it is true then how brave Mackenzie is to have come out with it, as she said on Oprah she knows she will now be the face of incest.

ETA: Also pretty disturbing that all the media makes it sound like it was totally consentual when it's obvious that in the beginning he raped her. Her admission that "it eventually became consentual" made me shiver :shock:

#3 ckashie, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited by moderator Hilarycee: Sep 28, 2009
  4. tifa

tifa New Member

michelle is poison. people often want to turn a blind eye to things like this happening. this case seems all too typical. there are other depressing elements where mackenzie states that mick jagger had wanted to have sex with her since she was a very young girl. they raised children in a disturbing messed up manner and now michelle is asking to protect the 'legacy'. shut up evil woman!

5. lizbabe09

lizbabe09 New Member

I think it's pretty sad that she came out with this and not a lot of people seem to be supporting her. I read on some website that the reason she went public with these allegations is because her book was coming out and she wanted publicity for it.

6. fashion tyger

fashion tyger New Member

Would someone really say something like this if it wasn't true......God bless us all.....

7. lizbabe09

lizbabe09 New Member

Yeah, I don't think it's something someone would make up. Plus she said on Oprah and that got pregnant and John paid for the abortion. That seems insane to me.

8. silk skin paws

silk skin paws doldrums

This maybe an unpopular opinion:

I think she's still protecting her father. I don't think the raped first happened when she was 18 but younger. If a father could do this to his 18 year old daughter he would so at any age, at a younger age. I don't care if Mackenzie admits that it eventually became a consensual act and being an adult I still consider it abuse. She was at such a fragile and self-destructive state instead of being the guider and protector John exploited her.

9. ckashie

ckashie New Member

I agree with you but IMO it is definately abuse considering it began with him raping her.

10. Working Girl

Working Girl New Member

I think the word consensual throws people for. I think it puts the blame on her as well. I hope she knows she didn't do anything wrong. I wonder why her? He had two other daughters. Where was her mother?

11. inhirnamy137

inhirnamy137 New Member

</H2>
    (contact.music.com)

http://twitter.com/BijouPhillips

Yep he isn't here to defend himself

12. shoesexy

shoesexy New Member

Now two ex-wives and a sister say MP fabricated this.....???

And MP is saying they are lying to "protect the Mamas & Pappas brand."

It's not getting clearer, for me.

13. Working Girl

Working Girl New Member

What the hell is Bijou talking about. Her parents lost custody of her because of their behavior. She was put to foster care. Moving out at 13 that was probably her own doing. Her father probably wouldn't have cared less.

I can't imagine being part of the Philips family. I would rather believe Mackenzie than any of them.

14. ckashie

ckashie New Member

Ugh I can't believe that article described the relationship as a 'romance'. It was abuse. Plain and simple. Nothing romantic about it.

15. sedirea

sedirea New Member

Bijou is obviously delusional.. she even talked about how he molested her years ago but later said it was just a joke. Who jokes about that?

16. lizbabe09

lizbabe09 New Member

It was on one of her songs right?

17. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

I heard her interviewed on Dr Laura Berman's show as I was driving home the other night. My recollection is she said that the first time she was aware of the relationship was when she was 19 and came to after a substance-induced blackout to find her father having sex with her. She said that she had been having these blackouts in her father's presence for several years, and she has no idea whether this was the first time. But it's the first time she was aware of. She confronted her father afterwards, and called it rape. He called it 'making love.'

Dr Berman said that this type of relationship cannot be consensual because of the imbalance of power (not to mention the blackouts and the lack of a clear mental state), and suggested the term 'cooperate,' as in, 'you cooperated.'

Mackenzie agreed, and liked this terminology much better. She said that she didn't research sexual abuse before writing the book, but simply wrote her truth as best she knew how. She said she never cared for the term consensual, but didn't know another word to use.

#17 fashionista-ta, Sep 30, 2009
    Last edited by moderator : Oct 1, 2009
  18. lizbabe09

lizbabe09 New Member

I guess Mackenzie went back on the Oprah show Friday
    imdb