Magazine Editing - Layouts, Page Design, Typography,

MON

Reaction score
Hi. This might be irrelevant, but how do they layout the magazines before? Like how do they add the text and layout everything page by page? Thanks

Are you talking about now or before the digital age? Your post is confusing.

If you're taking about now, they most likely use Adobe - Photoshop, Illustrator and all the other applications they make.

Phototypesetting, cut and paste, markers and fine measuring kits.

Oh hey guys! Sorry, I didn't know this post was moved. Anyway, I asked this on the VINTAGE Magazines thread :-) So yeah, i'm curious with the old methods :smile: Around the 40-60s.

Im well aware of the methods now :smile:

From what I remember, it was done by actually cutting and pasting. I'm not an expert but I've seen films about this being done ... so this is probably not accurate, but close to the process.

First, they would decide on the colors,if any, and the fonts for headlines and the body of the text. They would layout the columns and set the type (in a huge tray ... individual metal blocks for each letter). They would pick the photos and drawings (in fashion mags, there were mostly fashion illustrations, not photos). Then they would print the individual pieces and, finally, cut and past each piece into place on the layout, until it satisfied the editor. Then they would reset the type with the final arrangement and etch the pictures into the plates. Then the could and set up all up for printing ... in a printing press.

The plates and printing press are pretty much the same today ... bigger, and typesetting and etching is done by computer ... not by hand.

This thread piqued my interest as I too am fascinated by printed matter, especially the bts that goes into magazine publishing,.

So I did a Google search with the keywords "magazine publishing old method" and found that the method was basically as BetteT described: cut, paste, and lots of cement glue.

Here's the link I found. Hope it answers your question MON :flower:

http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2012/02/design-before-computers-ruled-the-universe/

These guys are funding on Kickstarter for a documentary about the old graphic making process, you may want to check out the trailer.

Such an interesting video :smile: thanks for sharing

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SailorMoon1993
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->