Magazines and Television/Entertainment

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by nyc_art_style, May 22, 2009.

1. nyc_art_style

nyc_art_style Active Member

On a lot of television shows today fashion magazines seem to have connections or partnerships. For example Harpers Bazaar is involved with Bravo's The Fashion Show. Elle had it's own show Fashionista. Elle used to be associated with America's Next Top Model, but now it has been replaced by Seventeen. Marie Claire has Running in Heels. Teen Vogue is paired with The Hills. I'm sure there are many more.

I didn't used to mind the connections magazines had with tv. The partnerships boost their readership. However the connections have grown from just being features in the magazine to Editors being regular guests on the shows.

I was just wondering other people's thoughts; from if they like it, or hate it, and what they think about Editors becoming tv personalities.

Also feel free to add to the list of magazine and tv show pairings. Or other pairings magazines have. Like Vogue with online channel Vogue.tv

2. nyc_art_style

originally posted by MissMagAddict in The City thread.

wwd.com

3. nyc_art_style

:innocent: Okay so I know this is a one woman thread so far but....

Nina Gracia guest starred on "The Beautiful Life" tonight which aired on the CW. I think this is pretty intertesting because The Beautiful Life isn't a reality show. It's a fiction show about models. Nina's guest appearance means she actually had to act on the show. Acting seems like an odd part of the job description as Magazine Editor.

Any thoughts?

4. fashionismydrug

fashionismydrug New Member

^Ha that seems funny. Was Nina just acting like her frigid self?

5. nyc_art_style

Yes. Most of the drama on the episode took place at a party Nina was throwing.

6. honeycombchild

honeycombchild Well-Known Member

Joe Zee made an appearance in an episode of Ugly Betty's third season also, playing himself.

Elle staffers, Ex or current, seem to love some TV.

7. MissMagAddict

MissMagAddict The future is stupid

US Marie-Claire's Fashion Director Nina Garcia made an appearance on this week's episode of the CW's The Beautiful Life TBL.

Hilarious really :lol:

8. honeycombchild

I've just thought, Nina was also in Ugly Betty... she made an appearance with Christian Siriano in Season 2...

9. BerlinRocks

BerlinRocks New Member

Numéro used to be sponsor of french fashion tv show "Habillé-e-s pour ..." by Mlle Agnès and Loïc Prigent (the latest one was sponsored by some Hair products - recession i guess).

Glamour FR used to be associated with the French Top Model show. Their fashion editor - forgot her name, Caroline or something - used to be part of the jury.

10. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

A cameo or an occasional appearance in a show is one thing - that's an opportunity to put one foot into a different world for a day or so - but to get involved with a long-running series where TV coverage of your publication becomes a regular part of your work...

I couldn't think of anything less conducive to getting on with the job of editor than being involved with a film crew for an American TV series, having to adapt yourself, the tone of your office and your entire timetable to accommodate the need to manufacture 'entertainment' for an audience.

Sure, working on a publication is all about creating content - but the successful fulfilment of that doesn't necessarily require you to turn yourself into a cartoon character where you inflate your emotions and create storylines in your life.
    I'd rather be respected for doing good work than known for being some mad parody of myself on TV.

Besides, unless you have some degree of control over the process, who knows how you're going to be represented in the end product?

#10 tigerrouge, Sep 24, 2009
    Last edited by moderator ywliu: Sep 24, 2009
  11. honeycombchild

I think there are certainly different ways in which editors use the media/TV. Nina Garcia for example, with Project Runway and initially when she was with Elle I think was a good idea, it was something different at the time - it's the appearances on all these other things and such that are I suppose, because she's become a celebrity and less about actually doing anything for the magazine..

Certain magazines have used TV well however I think, I know here in the UK the Grazia offices let the BBC film with them for a one off programme, which was actually really interesting to watch.

Programmes like Running In Heels get on my nerves, because so much of it is about other things... I really don't have all that much interest in seeing what the interns do at home personally!

12. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

A decently done documentary can shed an interesting light on something, yet so much of TV is about reducing things to stereotypes, sometimes I feel fashion suffers enough from that.

I suppose it's only human nature, that if you spend your working days in a magazine office, that if you get a chance to be a mini-celebrity in your own right, some people will adapt themselves to the idea with ease, while others will rationalise (or be told) that it's good for the brand, so get on with it.

#12 tigerrouge, Sep 24, 2009
    Last edited by moderator ywliu: Sep 24, 2009
  13. tarsha

tarsha Active Member

Russian Cosmo has it's TV-Version on the channel TNT.

14. nyc_art_style

The partnership between magazines and television is one I really dislike. Part of the reason fashion is so intriguing to me is because there's a certain mystery to it. Television not only takes away this mystery, it adds, as tigerrouge said, stereotypes. These stereotypes show fashion as some ridiculous and careless world where people only care about material things and no one has any passion for art and design.

Also the idea of fame is very unattractive to me. I would hate to think that being an editor means automatically becoming a celebrity.

If magazines really want a camera in their office they should follow the lead of The September Issue. I thought that movie was very insightful and very entertaining as well. Documentaries are the way to go.

15. nyc_art_style

Season two of The City premiers tonight on MTV. A cast member of the show Olivia works at Elle Magazine. The Show will follow Olivia's life while she works at Elle. :flower:

16. MissMagAddict

MissMagAddict The future is stupid

^Joe Zee [creative director of elle] will also be featured :clap:

Love him :wub:

17. fashionismydrug

Do you think that The City partnering with Elle had anything to do with Elle being able to sell so many ad pages recently?

18. nyc_art_style

I'm sure working with The City has helped Elle gain more ad pages. However in my opinion I rather have advertisements of quality, than an excessive quantity. But advertisement is where the money comes from... so I guess I better get used to Yaz ads. -_-

19. nyc_art_style

Just now on The City Olivia was offered a job as an accessories editor at Elle, however I just check my Elle October issue, and Olivia's name is not on the mast head. :judge: What's that about? Is the job fake? I surely don't see Elle in a favorable light to pretend Olivia has a job. But I may be wrong, are some editors left off the mast head? :unsure:

Also a character named Erin was introduced. She works in PR for Elle. I'm not sure if PR and Accessories normally work together, but it seems odd to me. Anyway Erin is suppose to watch over Olivia. Erin is on the Mast Head though, her title is Director of Public Relations.

20. fashionismydrug

I mean I could see how the director of public relations and an accessories editor would work together but this show kind of seems ridiculous (I haven't seen it yet but I'll watch the rerun this weekend). I'm not quite sure what Elle is doing by being apart of this show besides boosting ad revenue. Who is the Elle girl nowadays? Is it Olivia from the city?