Magazines Stores/Large Newsstands Worldwide & Online

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by Alien Sex Friend, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Alien Sex Friend

Alien Sex Friend Well-Known Member

I didn`t find any mention of that topic on tfs, but, i think, this is absolutely necessary theme for magazine collectors. I mean names and addresses of big stores/ bookstores/newsstands selling international magazines. I mean big ones with independent press such purple or self service.

For example, i am going to Berlin, but i don`t know any bit bookstore or special magazines store there. can someone help me with it? i need to buy self service there.

In Paris i know

WH Smith
    Agora
    Ofr
    Colette

in Milan it is Mondadori

In USA it`s Barnes & Noble
    America Apparel sometimes
    Borders and newstands but it depends of the city. i can speak only for Los Angeles

In London it`s WHSmith
    Magma

any other names & addresses?

#1 Alien Sex Friend, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited by moderator VintageAmore: Apr 27, 2011
  2. freud

freud New Member

Are you in Berlin for short or longer? Because if it is a short trip and you want to buy the currently available issue and on top of that travelling by plane, the easiest would be the airport.

I can guarantee you that there are more than enough stores or Kiosks in Berlin with Self Service. There's a cool one at the Alexanderplatz and I think I've also seen a book store in Berlin Mitte with older issues of mostly Purple, Self Servide and such. Not so much Vogue. Don't remember the name.
    If not go search the stands and stores at the Bahnhof.

I would be curious to see where everyone is getting their magazines from. Pictures!

ETA: That's the one I've been to! It's full of art books and photographer books and judging by thee pictures also full of magazines. Maybe it's not the same since I don't remember Numéro issues there, but still:
    http://www.doyoureadme.de/about/

Auguststraße 28, Berlin Mitte, not sure if they have Self Service but it might be a cool spot for you anyway.

#2 freud, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited by moderator ChenTzuYu: Apr 27, 2011
  3. jal718

jal718 Well-Known Member

Universal News in NYC is the biggest I've been in

4. hautechild

hautechild New Member

You mean stores that sell current issues, not back issues?

In London the WH Smiths in Selfridges has a large selection of fashion magazines, especially foreign or harder to get ones.

In NY, it's not the biggest but my favourite is a newsagent by Abingdon Square because they have piles of fashion magazines (literally, piles) and if you ask for a magazine they don't have in stock they'll have it next time you go in! :D

5. Alien Sex Friend

i mean current, but vintage magazines stores would be great to learn as well

6. VogueParisLover

VogueParisLover New Member

Around The World in New York City is simply the best magazine store I've ever been to. It's filled to the brim with fashion magazines new issues as well as a plethora of back issues, and I'm pleased to find that they now have a webpage! The online shop is nothing compared to the store though. If you're looking for a good online shop, Magazine Cafe can't be beat. :wink:

#6 VogueParisLover, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited by moderator : Apr 27, 2011
  7. kasper!

kasper! Well-Known Member

Hong Kong - HMV, PageOne

8. Rigida

Rigida Well-Known Member

Wow, nice thread.

If you go to Jakarta, the best bookstore here are Kinokuniya and Periplus. Although it's quite hard to find european and indie magazine here, because the stock will be very limited.

9. betty_s

betty_s Member

hi asf,

actually barnes and noble is ok for the rest of the country...but the best place to get the magazines in nyc is at a place called casa magazine. on 12th street and hudson.. all the agencies go there, they get many things first and the service is beyond outstanding. it's owned by 2 guys, named muhammed, the other one ali... so pretty easy to remember :smile:

also, universal news (as someone mentioned) is pretty good.. they are a big chain and there are a lot more of them, than barnes and nobles nowadays in new york. is pretty good as well.

*edited to add the name of casa.. because even though i've been going there for years, i actually forgot their name!

betty
    mdc

#9 betty_s, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited by moderator dRAmA qUeEN~~: Apr 27, 2011
  10. Atelier17

Atelier17 Member

wow! amazing thread.. so so helpful!
    Does anybody know a good magazine store in Boston besides barnes/noble or borders?

11. gossiping

gossiping Well-Known Member

London the conde nast offices ground floor has all the vogues. even australia which is soo hard to find here!

12. Urban Stylin

Urban Stylin ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

anyone know a place in DC and BALTIMORE

13. CrisGalaxy

CrisGalaxy Active Member

What about Chicago? anything close to the downtown area? Sadly they closed the Borders on N. Michigan and the only good book store I know of is the Barns&Noble on State St.

14. BerlinRocks

BerlinRocks New Member

we can add Yvon Lambert bookshop - they stock a little amount of copies of Self Service, Purple, Encens and Magazine.
    and Palais de Tokyo - they stock a lot of fashion magazines (from the Vogues to Encens) ...

thanks asf for doing this thread. I wanted to do a google map last summer. That would be nice, but I never really manage to handle that technology. I remember I posted about it in Search of magazines or something.

15. ellastica

ellastica Well-Known Member

has anyone been to Powell's in Portland? they have a rep for the best selection of books but haven't heard about their magazine selection.

as far as Seattle goes the best places i've found for harder to find zines or international editions is the Uwajimaya & the B&N in University Village shopping center but even then they don't carry mags like RUSSH or gentlewoman magazine:cry: and the Pike Place newsstand but i don't get down there very often.

are there any great magazine sellers in Washington i'm missing out on? Tacoma /the south sound blows when it comes to magazine stands.

16. TheCheekyCritic

TheCheekyCritic New Member

In Finland, Helsinki's Stockmann Akateeminen is the place to go for current issues. They have a pretty solid selection, including mags like Purple, Doingbird and Self Service. Not much from Asia, though. It's right in the town center. :flower:

17. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

If you're in Amsterdam: Athenaeum Nieuwscentrum, Spui 14-16.

18. Chanelcouture09

Chanelcouture09 Some Like It Hot

I've heard there's a store in Covent Garden that sells Vintage Vogue's, I've never been to experience it for myself.

19. Alien Sex Friend

hi, guys! any news on international newsstands (this time i need at least conde nast and some mainstream things like british vogue or love or numero) in Montenegro (Podgorica, Budva, Cetinje) and, perhaps, Zagreb in Croatia?

20. Fiercification

Fiercification Well-Known Member

^ Main shopping mall in Podgorica sells a few international mags...saw Interview, US and UK Vogue when I went there last summer :flower:. Hope that can be of some help.