Maila Nurmi (Vampira)

Discussion in 'Icons From The Past' started by jexxica, Apr 30, 2009.

View Users: View Users
  1. jexxica

jexxica Moderator

I can not believe she does not have a thread yet.

google web finds

Attached Files:

• 22.jpg
      22.jpg
      File size:
      43.2 KB
      Views:
    #1 jexxica, Apr 30, 2009
    Last edited by moderator : May 2, 2009
  2. jexxica

jexxica Moderator

Attached Files:

• 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      45.5 KB
      Views:
    • 26.jpg
      26.jpg
      File size:
      26 KB
      Views:
  3. scriptgirl

scriptgirl New Member

Call me a fan.

4. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

jexxica, can you please credit the pix in your first post more specifically? (Google is not considered a credit ... everything on the web could probably be 'credited' that way ;)) I see one is from Getty ...

5. jexxica

jexxica Moderator

I know, but I can't remember. That's why in the 2nd post I was more specific.

Sorry.

6. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

^ No problem ... I removed the ones without watermarks. If you come across them again, please feel free to repost with source :flower:

7. ruslana rules

ruslana rules New Member

I found some nice pics worthy of display..... blonde vampira- staleywise com.jpg

greatest pic ever - afermaledarcy blogspot com.jpg

young maila - flickr.com chaotic kittie666.jpg

some do - myspace com crabzillabangbang.jpg

miss ocean beach 1952 - flickr RCMerchant's photostream.jpg

crossed legs vagalmaila06 - tsutpen blogspot com.jpg Source: Pic 1- staleywise.com Pic 2 - afermalecarcy.blogspot.com Pic 3 - flickr.com/chaotickittie666 Pic 4 - myspace.com/crabzillabangbang Pic 5. flickr.com RCMerchant's Photostream Pic 6 - tsutpen.blogspot.com

8. scriptgirl

scriptgirl New Member

Was Maila Nurmi her real name?

9. ruslana rules

ruslana rules New Member

I believe it is Alaine Maila Nurmi from what I gather.

10. scriptgirl

scriptgirl New Member

What is her ancestry?

11. jexxica

jexxica Moderator

she was amazing!

12. ruslana rules

ruslana rules New Member

I believe she was from Finland! hamlet2 myspace index clm fuseaction blogspot com.jpg Source: myspace.com/index clm fuseaction.blogspot.com

13. wildcat

wildcat Member

i'm not too familiar with her so if anyone has more information, i'd appreciate it.

14. scriptgirl

scriptgirl New Member

She was Elvira before there was an Elvira. She was also friends with James Dean and was in an Ed Wood flick. Wikipedia her and you will find info.

15. ruslana rules

ruslana rules New Member

OK. Here's the scoop on Maila Nurmi. Her real name is Maila Elizabeth Syrjaniemi born in Petsamo, Finland which is now Pechenga, Russia. She came to the States when she was 2 & her family settled in Ashtabula, Ohio. She arrived in L.A. when she was 17. She modelled for Alberto Vargas, Bernard of Hollywood & Man Ray. She was reportedly fired by Mae West from the cast of West's Broadway play "Catherine Was Great" in 1944 as Mae thought she was upstaging her. She garnered a lot of attention when she appeared onstage in a horror themed shoe "Spook Scandals". Also, she appeared onstage as a chorus girl along with famous stripper Lili St. Cyr. In the 50's, she mostly posed for Men's magazines for her bread & butter before landing her Vampira gig. How did the idea for the character come into being? She got invited to this annaul masquerade party and modelled it after a Charles Addams character in the New Yorker. TV producer Hunt Stomberg saw her & later tried to contact her. He found her eventually through (of all people) Rudi Gernrich (soon to be designer of the famous topless bathing suit fame). Maila's hubby, Dean Riesner, invented the name. Dean's claim to fame was a child actor in silent films. Later he became a screenwriter for such films as "Dirty Harry", "Charley Varrick" & "Play Misty For Me". Nurmi was acquainted with Marilyn Monroe & Elvis Presley. She dated Orson Welles for a while. She was very good friends with James Dean. She explained their friendship by saying,"We share the same neurosis." In June of 1955 - Maila was the victim of an attemped murder(!) when a man forced his way into her apartment & proceeded to terrorize her for about 4 hours. She managed to escape & call the cops. On a dietary note - she kept her svelte figure by eating only boiled eggs, orange juice & graham crackers. She measured 38"bust -17" waist (madness!) 36" hips. By 1962, she was installing linoleum flooring & she also was proficient in carpentry, furniture refinishing, etc. Later she made a living autographing memorabilia & selling original art work on ebay. She died in 2008 of natural causes. She was 85 years old. maila nurmi PlanNine_07 - wickpedia.jpg Source: Movie - Plan 9 From Outerspace - Directed by Ed Wood - wikpedia.org

16. jexxica

jexxica Moderator

[​IMG]
    dreadcentral.com

17. jexxica

jexxica Moderator

[​IMG]
    madmoizelle forum

[​IMG]
    ace76.blogia.com

#17 jexxica, May 11, 2010
    Last edited by moderator williamgmathers: May 11, 2010
  18. TommyGirl

TommyGirl Active Member

I have never heard of her, interesting. Usually Finnish papers keep in mind everyone who has Finnish roots and has had even some kind of success over the sea. So she was a model/actress?

19. lollicandy

lollicandy New Member

looove Vampira! the best thing about her was her personality, you should really watch some of her interviews on Youtube, she has such a good sense of humor and tells lots of great stories about old Hollywood (she claims Orson Welles gave her "the clap" and complimented her by telling her she had a "magnificent carcass!").

20. hellkitten

hellkitten New Member

source: ebay

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]