Maison Margiela Artisanal Haute Couture S/S 2024 Paris

I just wish they’d let Galliano work under his own name, where all of this would make sense.
Margiela should be designed by someone who gets what Margiela is about.. or should I say “was about?”.
They have more or less ignored what Margiela was about, which means that once John’s gone there’s no real DNA anymore. I’m not even sure it’ll be possible to save tbh

I lowkey want Galliano to take over Armani if Giorgio passes away. I think that's where he can freely roam

Why are we expecting John to do minimalism, though
For me, I’m not. I just want the variety at couture. I do want the couture Galliano mise en scenes but also the Margiela aperitifs. It’s just tricky because we have two polar opposites at a label where the thematics that the designers deal with are very similar, there’s just very different outputs. We’ve seen Galliano do deconstruction, and we’ve even seen Margiela do some rather dramatic thematics. But here, it’s all too blurred.

I love this for Galliano, but I think for Margiela it’s at odds but also without Galliano at Margiela, we wouldn’t get anything from Galliano at all. It’s tricky. I just want more niches to occur both at couture and RTW, but that’s such a hard come by because so many if not nearly all blend into each other. That’s the industry at the moment, which is hard to get accustomed to because when you think about it not that long ago brands were very distinguished from each other but now it’s hard to get.

I guess some of us are asking for much more than the industry can really give at the moment, but we’re asking (despite being a relatively small forum) isn’t actually that much. You can even see it online that there are a lot asking for this but they’re shut down because the masses think we’re at odds with them. Really, we just want the variety. We want the Galliano but also the Margiela, not both in one brand/lavel. Greedy, yes, but when you know the business itself you just know this outcome is not that far away for it to happen. It’s just a couple of signatures and agreeances that most likely will never happen because of bitter internal feuds.

I really don’t get JG’s runway presentations for MM. They’re so French court wench / retired boucanier leaning, which - imo - is soooooo far removed from the alchemical languidness that made MMM the revered house I remember falling in love with. Personally, I don't like when a designer takes over a house and stifles what was beautiful about said house...
Simone Rocha, on the other hand, she gets it. Her wonderful outing for JPG was a beautiful marriage of her romanticism and the latter’s.

Why are we expecting John to do minimalism, though? That is not how he interprets house codes and we’ve had over ten years of his tenure at Dior to prove that. There are codes from the original designer incorporated into every collection, if you know where to look for them, but he presents them in his own unique way. Nothing about his Dior was very obviously Christian Dior, just like nothing here screams Margiela. And I, for one, think that’s a good thing. Nobody can be another Margiela and the only way for another designer to thrive at the house is to put his own spin on it. Not every designer’s spin is a good spin (e.g. current Balenciaga, Givnechy or Fendi), so to have John Galliano at his full potential here is nothing but a blessing to fashion!
But was Margiela a minimalist tho?
His work for Hermes yes, but the sensibility of his own house is probably closer to Galliano than Raf Simons or his autoproclamed heirs. After all, he comes from Gaultier and was infused of all the things that characterizes great designers: a sense of humor, a sense of history and a sense of construction.

I think everybody is happy to see a voice like John still being able to have a stage loud and clear.

The difference between his Dior and his Margiela is that he was so infused with the spirit of Dior that his off-road moments felt totally right! Dior is the name in French fashion associated with an idea of extreme feminity and excess.

And that’s the weird thing that grands couturiers got that others don’t. MGC may do the new look every season, she does not have the spirit of Dior. Nicolas may not have done quote on quote Balenciaga everytime but he understood the spirit. The same for Karl at Chanel who took pleasure in shaking the table and so so…

There’s something quite interesting about Margiela though.
I have started to buy Margiela by John after going to the boutiques and there I have found what I’m missing in the shows. I think that working for Margiela in a way forces him to be modern, to speak to the street…Something I’m sure he wouldn’t have done under his own name.

And then there’s this weird non-working duality. If John was at his own brand, this offering would have touched us but it would also maintain his brand in a certain past…
I don’t know how women would relate to this today beyond the beauty of the show.

That being said, we can appreciate this fashion moment for what it was, a great fashion moment!

Last edited:
this brought me back to life after having a really tough time lately. fashion is back!!! wait some of you hate it? edit: now that I have read some of the criticism, I fully understand but at the same time I feel overjoyed just seeing this show. It might be because a lot of the shows nowadays are so underwhelming.

Now that I have gone through the discussion, I feel a tad ashamed for just jumping on here and posting in haste. I love all the thoughtful responses and while fashion is not my primary interest or the field I am most familiar with (it is a great interest of mine but I went in a very different direction academically, in comparison to some of the people here, I can only bow down and read the "takes" with a smile on my face). Great job, Galliano because not just any designer can make people have interesting conversations on fashion in 2024.

Also just so it's here for the record lol the song played on location was Adele's cover of George Michael's "Fastlove" rather than her "Hometown Glory" that was in the video
I thought so from what I saw on IG. Collection is amazing, but it does feel swan-songy. Music really reminds me of that sad FW11 show...

The more I think about this, one very easy way to make this collection "more Margiela" is, perhaps, with some tattoo-embroidered (Lesage embroidery in particular), long sleeve mesh tops.

This effect would have been particularly striking on looks 17, 18, and 18.

Also just so it's here for the record lol the song played on location was Adele's cover of George Michael's "Fastlove" rather than her "Hometown Glory" that was in the video

So what was the actual music of the show? The video posted on Vogue Paris' IG has different music too.

wasn't max richter's four seasons (winter 1) also played?

So what was the actual music of the show? The video posted on Vogue Paris' IG has different music too.
It was Adele's cover of Fastlove followed by the violin piece (which I am embarrassed don't know who the composer is lol), then back to fastlove and ended with the violin piece again. I can try to post the vids with the transitions etc.

why not use naturally triangular anatomies like swimmers instead of squeezing rectangular bodies into corsets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crinklechiffon
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->