Maison Margiela Haute Couture S/S 2019 Paris

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by vogue28, Jan 23, 2019.

1. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

VOGUE.COM

Perickles likes this.
  2. jeanclaude

jeanclaude Well-Known Member

That backgound graffiti is giving me a headache, it makes it hard to appreciate all the details.

Not a fan of this one, I prefer last f/w collection. It´s very wild and raw for my taste...but in any case I prefer this collection to the rest of generic HC ones.

3. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

Today is the Auction of Mouna Ayoub’s YSL Couture wardrobe. She was a huge Galliano supporter, claiming her love for his work on TV shows and famously known to have bought the entire Clochard collection and to wear his clothes like they were presented on the runway.

All of that to say that Margiela Couture by Galliano almost feels like a waste for me. It’s really hard for me to really get into that mostly because it’s just a pure creative exercise. Yes it’s refreshing but when it’s done by someone who was so disruptive in the Couture world, it’s impossible to not miss his voice in the Couture conversation.

I don’t even remember his last collection. One thing I know, it must have been filled with Trench coats and Décortiqué details.

4. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

It's really hard to notice individual pieces, and the stream was a mess. I can't really form an opinion about it, although my first thought was that I don't like any of it except for the satin ribbon blazers.

John's couture at Margiela seems to be too experimental for my taste, while I continue to love his ready to wear.

jeanclaude and entten like this.
  5. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Ok, yeah. I need to see this on livestream. NO WAY for me to make head or tail looking at these images.

jeanclaude likes this.
  6. SophiaVB

SophiaVB Member

Press quote is that it's a reflection of today's excess (obvi)

It took me like 10 minutes to realize all the models were male lol

7. June

June Well-Known Member

They aren't. Remington Williams is wearing look 16.
    I'm pretty sure look 11, 12, 14, 18 are also worn by women.
    And look 6, 15, 20, 30 I guess they're women, too.
    Could have missed some, though, because they are styled in a way you sometimes can't really tell if you don't know the models.

8. perhydrol

perhydrol Active Member

^But finding out who's male or female is not the point here, actually it's completely irrelevant. The new Margiela strategy is to make something totally gender fluid and I think they are right about being unisex because at the same time they're making unique pieces. I'm not sure about the whole mess of the set and clothes, it's too much. I mean the idea is so right, but the execution got lost.

Nomar likes this.
  9. Perickles

Perickles Well-Known Member

Great collection but that background ruined it.

10. entten

entten Member

never liked a single margiela collection by galliano. its not the right desginer for this house. galliano margiela looks experimental japanese

I actually absolutley loved every single collection by the team after margiela left. they did a great job. and i liked gallianos dior.....but galliano and margiela is just not a good match for me.

11. jeanclaude

jeanclaude Well-Known Member

OF COURSE! It is not a Margiela by Galliano collection, if there isn´t one deconstructed trench coat at least! :mrgreen:

I think Galliano must have wet dreams about working for Burberry...

Nomar, entten and Lola701 like this.
  12. dior_couture1245

dior_couture1245 Fat Karl

I think Galliano could use a break from listening too much to the interns....

I wish he would just scale back a bit and work on clothes again...he is so capable of channeling all this creative energy and curiosity into clothes that have just a bit more believability. It’s no surprise the strongest looks for me here are the pieces most easily recognizable as clothing...but done to perfection, with such clever and beautiful twists (the tailored jackets with the ribbon closures, for example).

But the excessive Gen Z influence I find on his work over the last year - year and half seems to weigh a bit too heavy. John is a master and I would love to see some sophistication balanced in with the chaos. Even something as simple as scrubbing off all the hair and makeup tricks and all the strange headgear...even something as simple as that could make such a huge difference.

13. bc collector

bc collector Member

Hard to digest all in one go...if it was supposed to be a commentary on the visual cacophony of today's fashion landscape, it would make sense, otherwise...
    (plus: some details and shapes really remind me too much of Mme Kawakubo)

14. AnaD

AnaD Active Member

If Galliano was going to have such a vibrant background, he should have scaled back the clothes. It's very loud and hard to focus one one partirthing, but I can say that it's becoming a bit hard to tell one collection apart from the other. This seems like a mishmash of all his ideas, much like the last few shows, with very little time taken to edit and refine the designs. This needs some polishing, there are some great ideas to be found within each look but they get lost in the details.

Nomar likes this.
  15. SophiaVB

SophiaVB Member

interesting i guess all the ones i enlarged were of male models. and i agree i kinda laughed for a moment about it but it's wholly irrelevant to my perception of the clothes. i guess that's the point?

16. Salvatore

Salvatore Wanderlust

I really do not like this. I love Galliano, but his time at Margiela has been less than exciting for me.

entten and jeanclaude like this.
  17. donyan

donyan Active Member

I have to agree , it’s all so MUCH! The last Couture was interesting in an over the top way but I can’t remember a single look, just a blur of shape and colour. None of these collections have stuck with me , unlike so many of his namesake and Dior ones - so many unforgettable moments and looks . Galliano at Margiela is just a blur .

entten likes this.
  18. margielamike2004

I think it's safe to say that the intention of the background visuals.....in regards to seeing a mind *uck is deliberate and intentional.

I actually like the some of the pieces in this collection.

The problem I have with this collection is....is seems like Galliano is growing too many ideas....all into one collection.

Lots of ideas that originalally come from Margiela.....but too many of Margiela'd ideas...in one collection.

Another problem I have....is the models. I don't care if they're male or female....but after watching the video for the collection....none of them knows how to walk a runway....for shite!!! Most of them were practically at a running pace....none of them seemed like they were professional or knew how to walk....and barely a y of them seemed as though they were having fun doing this. It's as though they were in a rush to finish the show. Maybe none of them liked what they were wearing....a few night have been embarrassed to wear what they had on....but regardless.

I think Galliano needs to select his models more wisely. They don't need to be drop dead gorgeous.....but they should know how to walk a runway....or taught how to. It's the least they could do.

dior_couture1245 and jeanclaude like this.
  19. margielamike2004

The link I'm about to post is off-topic. It has nothing to do with Margiela....but definitely John Galliano.

Anyone who's been onto Galliano since the start of his career......is fully aware that he's an absolute... creative genius. It's a known fact that very.....very few fashion designers are capable of cutting in the bias like Galliano. Many designers in the industry....always envied his talent. He was quoted as being a prodigy within his field.

If there is any designer out there...who knows how to put on a show....an AMAZING show.....it's by and far....John Galliano. He lives for theatrics. Hair...makeup....accessories...music...everything is done to perfection....full throttle.

The reason for this post....has to do with 2 things. First....to show some of you what John Galliano is capable of. The other reason is....my confusion about Galliano's collection for Margiela.

How can one of the world's greatest talents, with everything he's capable of, and everything he's aware of....put on a horribly awful Haute Couture collection such as the one he showed for Margiela??

Granted.....what you're about to see ...is from the days when Galliano was doing Haute Couture for Dior....but regardless.

jeanclaude likes this.
  20. margielamike2004