Major Designers Copying The Little Ones.

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by ignitioned32, Jun 13, 2003.

View Users: View Users
  1. ignitioned32

ignitioned32 Mannikin

I was reading the archives of Hintmag's Chic Happens and I saw the one on Ghesquiere copying a less popuar designer called Wong and then my friend brought me a video-tape of a fashion collection of a cross-dressing designer for a little label called Polish who does'nt get to show every season because of finances. Then I saw in his spring 2002 collection references of Narciso Rodriguez, Miu Miu and Tomas Maier! I was stunned.

What I think about this is Major/Popular designers who get the spotlight and media attention should stop copying those who don't! Be original!

Coincidence, I don't think so!

Polish Spring '02(left) Miu Miu Spring '03
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Polish Spring '02(left) Tomas Maeir Spring '03 seen at Rebel mag
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. ignitioned32

ignitioned32 Mannikin

and . . ..
    Notice the cut detail at the sides.
    Polish Spring '02
    [​IMG]
    Narciso Spring'03
    [​IMG]

3. Astrid21

Astrid21 New Member

I see a little similarity, but nothing major. Everyone gets inspired by everyone else. Polish I'm sure has been influenced by other designers. I don't even think the similarities are that obvious. :ermm:

Thanks for bringing this theory to our attention. :flower:

4. ignitioned32

ignitioned32 Mannikin

But don't you see that's the point when you copy it should'nt be everything just a little then make it your own and don't you think the major one's should'nt copy the little ones! It's unfair, don't you think?

5. Astrid21

Astrid21 New Member

I actually don't think these "big" designers are copying the "smaller" designers. I don't think they have to. I think maybe they might have saw something they like and were inspired by it. Polish was inspired by something. Do you think it's right that Polish should copy someone or something? I mean...I've seen those patterns and cuts way before 2002.

6. ignitioned32

ignitioned32 Mannikin

I'm not defending Polish and probably you're correct if Polish was inspired by something then so is Narciso, Tomas, and Miuccia but then again it's such a coincidence! :eek:

7. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

hehehe ignitioned you have a very good point there, personally i've been seen this happening all the time, it has happened with me and some quite interesting designers -or so those who know my work and are in the fashion business say. :blush:

Prada and miu miu is actually built on the concept of interpretating (SP) interesting collection by less known streetwear brands, so is Gaultier and so many more. Rodrigues too. Anyway, it takes some talent even to chose who to copy no? I can give them credit for this, honestly.

Astrid, as a fashion designer, I never look to what other brands do for 'inspiration' its really a degrading, pityfull thing for a 'real' designer to do.
    Our work, is not to work on cloning other people's ideas, our mission is to create something new, fresh, contemporary and honest. When I see a good design, I bow to the talent of the designer (usually someone in the designer team of the big fat corporate brandname) and then just forget about it. If any consious-trace-able influence happen to appear unconsiously in my work, i start again from scratch. Of course there might be some tiny unconsious evolvements from ideas i've seen around, but never an obvious copy-'influence'.

Its rare, but also happens, that some fashion details emerge by sheer chance at the same moment from diverse capitals of fashion. This is usually due to design houses following the same trend books and style forecast agencies (i might be working with a very famous one pretty soon) . Truth is that smaller designers cannot even afford the services of those expensive trend agencies, so if a design appears a season earlier in a small designers collection, and then follows in a mainstream line, its monkey business.

Personally i take it as a huge compliment. :lol: B)

oh yes btw who are this Polish? is it a new label?

8. ignitioned32

ignitioned32 Mannikin

Polish is one of those , how do i describe this , unknown RTW designers that show in Bryant Park. Polish is a label designed by Mathew Nowomlynski who unfortunetly only showed for one season because of financial dificulties.

Here's her er . . . him:
    [​IMG]

9. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

:shock: ok :blink: regardless he seems quite talented

thanks igni :flower:

10. Acid

Acid yes

WAAAAA Lena :lol: i like the way you kinda avoided saying anything...

Designers will ALWAYS copy other designers to a degree....its not just 'coinsidence' that trends occur.....designers take from last season's collections and add it to their next seasons....it has and always will happen.

and this is exactly why i refuse to start anywhere but near the top.....im not going to be used, manipulated or abused. my designs are MY designs.....and they are going to be the best.

11. Astrid21

Astrid21 New Member

Lena, I may be reading this the wrong way, but you state that 'real' designers do not get inspiration from fellow designers. But, in the paragraph above you state that Narciso, Prada and Gaultier do. I know you give them credit, but do you not consider them 'real' designers? :huh: Again, I could be reading it the wrong way.

I'm no fashion designer, but I believe that some designers do get inspired by other's designs. I'm not saying they outright copy them, but they could take it to the next level and in a different train of thought.

I guess I can relate to it in artist terms. I'm definitely inspired by other artists, mainly Pollock and de Kooning. I never copy them, but I do get inspired by say maybe the colors they use. ;)

12. ignitioned32

ignitioned32 Mannikin

Gaultier does copy . . . like he did with Olivier Theyskens or is it vice-versa?

Gaultier Paris Spring '03, left , Olivier Theyskens Spring '02:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

13. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

gaultier is a master "copier" in my book igni* he's been doing this for ages, i've seen him copying graduate's work while i was a student, whatever we wore at "taboo" was on JPG catwalk later on :lol: of course we were not mad with his lack of originality or his copying, but we could never take him seriously or bow down to his talent .

Astrid i cannot hold high respect for anyone who is obviously copying somebody else's work, no matter if it is Prada or Rodrigues. I give them credit for choosing to copy 'interesting' designers (they could be copying someone useless), for their scouting, for their editiing but not for their originality. Inspiration should be discreet and 'worked on' not a 'straight on your face' thing. Designers should look for inspiration but not on fellow designers recent collections. The Theyskens/Gaultier pictures here are a very good example of what should be avoided, it can actually seriously harm the copier's statue.

Of course Gaultier made more money than Theyskens by getting inspired by Oliviers idea, copyright is so hard to secure in fashion, but everyone has eyes and can see obvious similarities whenever they occur .

Another good example is Elbaz, who does take inspiration from the 20s. Well nothing wrong with this much more since its not a "out of the archives" business for him, he's been seriously working on his designs and brings something new to his customers, still he could die before his work resembled something presented by a fellow designer one or two seasons ago. Its a matter of principle. I hope i make some sense but i hate cheating clients or stealing other's work. Anyway, its only my personal opinion, no universal truth (again) ;) :flower:

14. leyla m.

leyla m. New Member

i dont think its purposely done that looks or colletcion are similar to previous ones!!
    however, i believe and know that designers take their inspiration from EVERYWHERE. it was part of my study to see all the options where designers get inspirations from and how you can find looks again by doing some research.
    i think thats only normal as long as you got your personal touch in ur collection :blink:

15. Astrid21

Astrid21 New Member

I agree, Leyla. I guess we will have to agree to disagree. ;)

16. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

of course ;) :flower: :heart:

17. I am not sure I see a direct correlation. I could be wrong though. Fashion is like that though. Its okay to copy and take from different collections as long as you interpret it through your designs a little different.

18. Erzébeth

Erzébeth New Member

what about if you have a similar idea to another designer but you make better and nicer clothes than that designer?

19. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

There is some similarityes , btu thsi si fashion you no. I belvie in originallity and creativety, btu hoenstly i think unless you are locked in a cell all your life you WILL be influencd by some thing in your art or trade.

I think that even though some of theas desigenrs get "inspiratio" from otehr designers they still definetly have there own creativety and there own style and blend that has brought them succses.

20. aybaybay

aybaybay New Member

What designers are copying other designers?

Biterz.

It's really a no-no.

Everybody is making the saaaaame thing.

So, post up the design bites, or, contrarily, something new. If you post up a bite, it's a good idea to post the original.