Major Designers Copying The Little Ones.

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by ignitioned32, Jun 13, 2003.

1. FogUponLA

FogUponLA Member

....outfit look-a-likes thread anyone?

2. reese06

reese06 Well-Known Member

That's what I thought the day this thread was started but what do I know?

3. DuTTyRoCK112

DuTTyRoCK112 Active Member

How about Miu Miu shoes copying Louboutin?

And the way Julien Macdonald blatantly copies Armani's styling?

#63 DuTTyRoCK112, Oct 27, 2007
    Last edited by moderator yonaton72: Oct 27, 2007
  4. aybaybay

aybaybay New Member

shark biters

sh8t just snitched on delf.

5. Mojito

Mojito New Member

Everyone copies. Look at it this way: if you go into Neiman Marcus, how many times are you going to find the same dress?

6. seanutbutter

seanutbutter the crying of humanity

That's the spirit!

7. gius

gius écrivain

I don't think it's always about copying
    Sometimes ideas are so simple that anyone who knows about design can come up with them

8. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

^that's true too,gius.

and i certainly don't think everybody copies either. whether we're merely speaking of mass market,that's another story since of course they do get ideas from the catwalks and designers. but speaking purely about talent or so-called talent,i don't believe that. it's too general to make that kind of assumption. i do however think it's rampant amongst our big brand labels and our hyped-up established designers. like marc jacobs for instance. of course,it's very easy to point him out though. but last season he blatantly ripped-off kawakubo and yamamoto and made no qualms about it. and it wasn't mere influence,through certain techniques,but clearly throughout the collection in the styling...in the use of volume... he's done it before too. in his marc collection,a few years ago,he took walter van beirenonck's signature mask design he uses in his aestheticterrorists collection and plastered them very obviously on t'shirts throughout the collection. and miuccia has in my very knowledgeable(i know since i'm a fan,i mean) eyes,taken very specific ideas and elements from pejoski,willhelm and persoons before as well.

and i'm certainly not blaming them altrogether because in japan they copy the heroes all the time. margiela(of which i've read some japanese journos complain about)and i've seen copy-cats of undercover all over yahoo japan auctions.

9. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

and i understand completely,that some ideas have kindred connections for some designers. as long as it's personal and has their own take on it. it irritates me more when money labels use rip-off ideas to keep themselves afloat and relevant. without recognition to the designer either.

10. aybaybay

aybaybay New Member

are u referring to h&m, the fathers of modern banality? or versace?

11. liashoes

liashoes Active Member

12. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

Well, the vast majority of us who start threads proposing a theory do get off our butts & post evidence for it :flower: In Trend Spotting, this is absolutely required--and not just one piece of evidence either ...

13. Squizree

Squizree Looking Up

In today's world it is impossible to be 100% original. What you invent always has a refernce or similarity from someone else before you.

14. fashionista-ta

^ I think that's true at least 99.99% of the time ... and something else to bear in mind is that you may not even be aware of your own references. It's also possible for two people to "create" pretty much the same thing "independently." Wasn't it the steam engine that was created independently by two different people or teams in two different places, right about the same time?

15. Squizree

Squizree Looking Up

Yeah but when two pieces of fashion are near identical I start suspecting theres something dodgey happening.

16. aybaybay

aybaybay New Member

this logic is just a way to play down the genius of the ancestors. because we knew less 100 (or 200, or 300) years ago, it was less difficult to innovate?? innovation is always difficult no matter how you look at it. there is no saturation point for knowledge.

17. fashionista-ta

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Forever21 is pulling their stuff out of the collective conscious :lol: