Makeup For Men - What's Your Take?

:o
I can't believe this! I read the whole thread, and it certainly confirmed my prejudices against americans. How narrow-minded and rigid can you possibly get?

Makeup doesn't make a man any less of a man, that's just plain stupid. Makeup doesn't define your gender OR your sexuality OR whether you're masculine or feminine. Only you can do that, not some stuff you put on your face. Sweet Jesus, you're all silly.

It's just makeup. It doesn't change anyone. I don't mind my man wearing makeup. I want my skin to look good too. I really don't get what the problem is.

bleh - i wouldn't want a dude w/ makeup. Definitely not foundation/blush/mascara/lipstick. Maybe eyeliner if he looked really good in it - especially if it added to his look.. but a regular joe blow in a tee, jeans and makeup?! ick!!

when i was into alternative clubs, OMG there were some men who knew how to work their makeup and it worked with them.

unlike women - where most women look enhanced with makeup (and some women look best without any makeup at all) the reverse is true: most men look best without makeup and very few can enhance their looks with it.

frankly, i wouldn't want to see make up on a guy with acne scars either - i can deal with acne scars - in fact, once the redness is gone, some scars can add character to a man's face. i don't need perfect skin on a bloke, character is better than perfection.

also: i don't think we ought to make sweeping generalizations about people and where they live ... it's all individual preference no?

gruveechik said:
bleh - i wouldn't want a dude w/ makeup. Definitely not foundation/blush/mascara/lipstick. Maybe eyeliner if he looked really good in it - especially if it added to his look.. but a regular joe blow in a tee, jeans and makeup?! ick!!

when i was into alternative clubs, OMG there were some men who knew how to work their makeup and it worked with them.

unlike women - where most women look enhanced with makeup (and some women look best without any makeup at all) the reverse is true: most men look best without makeup and very few can enhance their looks with it.

frankly, i wouldn't want to see make up on a guy with acne scars either - i can deal with acne scars - in fact, once the redness is gone, some scars can add character to a man's face. i don't need perfect skin on a bloke, character is better than perfection.

also: i don't think we ought to make sweeping generalizations about people and where they live ... it's all individual preference no?

well said! I totally agree...men with makeup, in my opinion (only mine)...well, I'm just not attracted to them!:unsure:

well i am a man and i wear make up - nothing like mascara, eyeliner or lipstick

what i do wear is foundation to even out my skintone and cover my blemishes and occassionally bronzer.
I don't think it looks girly, in fact the comments which i get are generally how nice my skin is...

when my skin was worse i used to use estee lauder maximum cover... worked like a charm... now i use estee lauder individualist. I also like MAC's studiotech foundation...

i have to admit that when i first started to use foundation (maybe 2 years ago) i wasn't very good at applying it and there were a few disasters... but i'm sure everyone (who wears make-up) has had such experiences...

i am all for men using make up to enhance their attractiveness...

I love wearing make up. I just look better and it just makes me feel good.

The_Ida said:
:o
I can't believe this! I read the whole thread, and it certainly confirmed my prejudices against americans. How narrow-minded and rigid can you possibly get?

Makeup doesn't make a man any less of a man, that's just plain stupid. Makeup doesn't define your gender OR your sexuality OR whether you're masculine or feminine. Only you can do that, not some stuff you put on your face. Sweet Jesus, you're all silly.

It's just makeup. It doesn't change anyone. I don't mind my man wearing makeup. I want my skin to look good too. I really don't get what the problem is.

I like gruveechick's perspective on this ... she's right, there's huge diversity here. *edited*

This country was founded by Puritans, and they left us a few issues that we're still dealing with.

We're all entitled to our opinions--there's nothing wrong with being attracted to something or not, or thinking something's attractive or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gaultiers line of male makeup is pretty good.. =) I bought a lipstick for my bf...Well it's more like lip balm...But they have VERY natural makeup. FOr lips they don't have colour specifics but they have ones to lighten a mans lips or darken it (subtely). And mascara and eyeliner and foundation....

I'm not up to date on this thread but I'm guessing it's exactly where it was at 5 pages ago :lol: ("i love it" "I hate it")
anyways,,,

no offense but....

I'm totaly up for whatever.. ok.
but from a style stand point and aethetics stand point...
I'm not really into foundation (is that similar to concealer), or concealer..
sorry my spelling sucks,,
for either guys or girls... It actualy brings more atention to whatever they are trying conceal (to me).
there's nothing wrong with a guy wearing makeup, but yes it does make them more feminin (which is fine). I'm not all uptight, or anything but its true.
I think very few guys can pull it off right. It usualy ends up looking like 'dress up time' ...
Not 'woa, dude has style spilling out of his nostils' (which if you're rock make-up you'd better have).
I used to wear makeup on occasion in my h.s. and a bit later years...
thats cool. but more the 'punk freak' style thing.
but you know if a girls not into it, thats totaly cool. I can understand.
its not that crazy. most girls like their guys to be 'guys' ie no make-up or dresses ( :lol: ) or whatever.
I'm into whatever you can pull off well. Most guys (and girls too) usualy dont do extremely well with the make up. It's an art and it's usualy done in a boring obvious way, Sorry I know I'm a snob, but dont worry. I pay for it.
:lol:
Maraschin0.. you have amazing style... if you gave me the 'lip toner' stuff I would be tempted to wear it. :innocent:
Thats interesting that you gave your bf that. Does he wear it? please tell more. I'm curious.

Thanks goosemaster! You should try the lip toners =) Very smooth and rich product. Btw, I agree with your points. I have some homosexual friends who do wear the concealers and foundations, but i also have metrosexual male friends who carry lip balms around.

I actually stumbled onto the Gaultier male makeup brand when I was shopping in Vancouver with my bf =) The line is called "Tout Beau" and it is so so lovely. Extremely well made too! His isn't dramatic, they are bacially "complexion enhancers". It looks very natural. The lip stick I bought for my bf is called Sneaky Kiss in the natural clear colour. It's matte and has the yummiest vanilla scent! When he doesn't wear it I like to sneak in a few swipes on my own lips =) They also have a roll-on gloss that actually has shine.

P62005_hero.jpg

I really love this line! It is very well priced too.

P62004_hero.jpg

The matte bronzing powder

P62006_hero.jpg

This is a concealer on one end, and a kohl pen to enhance the eyes =)

All pics courtesy of sephora!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and although the lipsticks look like they are colourful, they are in fact VERY VERY sheer. The dark colour only darkens the lips a bit (doesn't provide colour) and the lighter one lightens up the lips.

hmmm that was quick.
sounds interesting...
I like lip balm, and the shine, so I guess it's sort of like makeup. But I dont think I'm into coloring products. but perhaps...
Vanila sounds quite nice.
You are such a romantic girl.
and again, with such an eye for style.:flower:

Hahaha I want to pick up a few more of those lip sticks for myself =D
It's basically just "subtle" makeup... You should try it!
Lol am I? Romantic? I'm actually very girly. Tell me if you ever try it k? =)

I can go either way w/ men in make-up...Ultimately, it depends on the application of it...Usually, I see it done in all the wrong ways, like too much foundation and/or concealer (like most guys who work at make-up counters at your local department stores)...But, if it's subtle & not so obvious, like a tinted moisturizer or certain lip-glosses, I dont see the problem in it...

^ I would certainly agree with lip balm ... I think men def should use it ... no one wants to kiss chapped lips ^_^ I keep moisturizing lipstick or gloss on mine at all times--haven't had chapped lips in years. :kiss:

I love it when guys wear make up!... my friend loves to, but always gets crap talked to him and so he doesn't... that's what I hate.. he loves it so much (especially shimmery stuff and lip gloss)... and people degrade him over it!!

perhaps if he bulked up and got a blackbelt...
after laying to waste a few hecklers I'm sure the word would spread.
"do not laugh, or snicker, in front of the fierce, shimmery lipped man..."

I mean you gotta do what you gotta do...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->