Making Fragrance Last Longer

Discussion in 'The Beauty Cupboard' started by Fewormany, Jan 21, 2009.

View Users: View Users
  1. Fewormany

Fewormany Member

I was wondering, is there a way to make fragrances last longer on your skin?

Sometimes it depends on the fragrance how long it lasts,
    but know some fragrances that seem to last forever on
    others but fade after a few hours on my skin.
    So is there anything to help my bodychemistry to make
    the smell last longer? ^_^

Oh, could a mod edit the spelling error in the thread title? :flower:

#1 Fewormany, Jan 21, 2009
    Last edited by moderator : Jan 21, 2009
  2. Hanne

Hanne Storm & Sommer

Scents last longer on oily skin than on dry skin..so you could prep your skin with lotion/oil etc before applying the fragrance.. Belowen mentioned vaseline in another thread.. :flower:

3. bebe_tc

bebe_tc New Member

I think the best way to make it last longer is to use the entire line the soap, the cream (lotion) and then the perfume.

4. chanelslungbags

chanelslungbags New Member

I think it depends on the cost. You get what you pay for when it comes to perfumes i think, i have a few copies of perfumes and they last about an hour, but the originals last a lot longer half a day, it also depends where you spray it as well!

5. papa_levante

papa_levante oh! darling

Wrists, behind the ears, and on the ankles, correct? Isn't that the best way to make the scent stay because those places aren't rubbed as often? :huh:

6. Fewormany

Fewormany Member

Not always true, Opium pour Homme EdT is pretty intense and longlasting on others on me it's hardly noticable after three to four hours. I just have bad luck with my skin chemistry I guess.

7. Spike413

Spike413 barcode

^ I'd suggest seeing if there's a scented after shave lotion that goes along with the edt. You can use that on your neck, chest or arms before you spray and it should help make the scent last longer. If there's no after shave then do what Hanne recommended, use any kind of unscented body cream or lotion before applying your fragrance.

8. ellesea

ellesea New Member

I find it's better to use an unscented lotion/creme rather than the scented version. With a scented version, my experience is either that it becomes too overwhelming OR it contaminates the actual EDT/EDP because the lotion/aftershave sometimes smells a little different from the parfum.

9. mavita2

mavita2 New Member

Moisture and then spray. works.

If you were looking for something a little more intense, I learnt a little trick from my ex gf. Spray once in your hair - it lasts even longer. the ladies go crazzzzzzyyyyy.

10. YoninahAliza

YoninahAliza New Member

Personally, I've found that using a bit of vaseline before spraying perfume works for me. I have this one D&G perfume which I love but it doesn't last as long as I would like, so I dab a little bit of vaseline on before I spray. Also, this may sound like common knowledge but do rub in your perfume, since it causes it to wear away faster and gets rid of the top notes.

11. *mette-marit*

*mette-marit* New Member

I didn't know that Yoninah.....i always rub my wrists together when I spray perfume...anyway, I hear keeping your skin moisturised is the best way to stop your scents from fading. I tried the vaseline trick, but it didn't work all that well for me...and I got it on my shirt sleeves and it stained! :(

12. rayoflight

rayoflight New Member

^ You need a tiny bit of vaseline, a thin layer is enough. If your skin looks greasy/shiny then it's way too much vaseline; you can also use a tissue to wipe off excess.

13. missbluejean

missbluejean New Member

Applying it on the cleavage, hair and the back of the knees can also make it last longer. (link)

I always spray my scent on those areas and find it to be really effective.

14. Street_a_Licious

Street_a_Licious Active Member

hair, definitely. imagine how long the stench of smoke stays there, same works with fragrances also.

clothes too. i prefer to spray some on my clothes, cause sometimes it still smells of a fragrance even days afterwards. i don't have to worry tho with my fragrances clashing, since with my taste, nearly all my fragrances are layerable and most are from the same family.

NEVER rub your wrists together. it destroys the molecules and you won't get the full experience.

15. Erin

Erin Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

I read that recently! It's true. Too bad I've been rubbing my wrists together all these years. ;)

Too, I have extremely dry skin... no wonder fragrance does not last long on me. The Vaseline trick is genius, though... must give this a shot!

16. Street_a_Licious

Street_a_Licious Active Member

but when you apply the fragrance on Vaseline... will it develope the same? usually fragrances react with the chemistry of your skin. by putting a barrier between them 2, what will happen? will the fragrance also heat up, since a lot of the moisture and heat is 'trapped' under the Vaseline...

17. rayoflight

rayoflight New Member

Skin's surface temperature can't go much higher than your body temperature, maybe 0.5-1 degrees higher, but not 40 C or something extreme like that, otherwise people who use baby oils would boil alive. A thin layer of vaseline is not like food film.
    I don't find fragrance would smell any different than on bare skin. I actually did a test, one wrist with vaseline, the other bare and both smelled same. They all smell on my skin just like on test strips tho, so I don't have a special chemistry and can't say if vaseline would affect the development of a scent.
    If it doesn't work out, stick with applying fragrances on clothes, most fragrances last a week or so on fabrics, much longer than on skin. Makes doing laundry more fun. ^_^

18. Feline

Feline rock-chic

For me, as other people have mentioned, layering products works.
    Also, to get the highest concentrate of a fragrance, a perfume, rather than an EdT

19. Juicy

Juicy New Member

I always put mine on straight after im out of the shower as soon as im dry! That way my skin is hot and absorbs the oils from the easiest on fresh skin!

Layering helps too but often i find the matching lotion or body wash to the perfume doesnt smell as good or does little at all to assist, id rather use a stronger complimentary lotion to enhance it!

Works every time for me :)

20. Melisande

Melisande Active Member

Wow this vaseline/moisturizing trick explains a lot.
    Perfumes which lasted all day in Tokyo (more humid) last barely an hour or two in Paris (very dry). Also spaces are much more vast here in Paris as opposed to Tokyo, where every subtle scent is noticed in the closed in spaces, so you seem to need more. As a result I go through scents like water, really not good for the wallet :doh:. And it has nothing to do with the price of the perfume, mine are from proper brands like Guerlain. Parfum obv. lasts longer than EdT.

Also, heady scents like vanilla and musk last much longer than lighter florals and amber and woodsy notes, which are what I prefer unfortunately.

Will def. try the vaseline trick, thanks!