Marc Jacobs Menswear

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by Johnny, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Johnny

Johnny New Member

Just wunderin what you chaps thought of MJ menswear. I was looking at the autumn winter collection on his website today, and came to the same conclusion that I always have before - that his clothes are basic and rather awkwardly designed, and seek to justify their high price through the gratuitous use of expensive fabrics (mainly cashmere). He tries to be cool and "street" I think, but the clothes look just a bit off. It's not worn-in enough, shabby enough, to actually pull off the look that the styling (and the ads) seem to be going for. I almost get seduced by it alittle - I like the idea of it, but when it comes to actually seeing the clothes, they come up short. I was thinking about his cashmere sweater for winter - see http://www.brownsfashion.com/menfashion101.html (you'll need to cut and paste that I'm afraid, don't know how to do it properly). Damn expensive though. Seems to be one of these US designers that likes to lux it up for the sake of it. Do you any of you know how his stuff sells in the US? What sort of guy goes for it? I'd be interested to learn. I alsways thought that cool NYC chics would like guys who wore his stuff! IS that right? Can our resident cool NYC chic let me know :P

2. faust

faust New Member

Johnny, please don't get me started on this GARBAGE, because I don't want to overload this sight. It's such bland, overpriced trash. It's high time Jacobs retired and went to work for Target with Mizrahi, because that's where they both belong.

3. metal-on-metal

It always kills me when they refer to Marc Jacobs fans as "very street" or "edgy and downtown" or "cool kids." His stuff is so bad, especially in the past few years. I don't know of any edgy downtown cool kids that would be caught dead in his stuff. Boring, bland, and overpriced. As faust said, don't get me started! :angry:

4. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

^_^ :lol: ...would it be presumptuous to assume you mean me?... :innocent:

i think that the mj customer is gay boys and rich tourists...mainly japanese... i don't know any straight men who wear the clothes...the same goes for j. lindebergh...

the cut is too narrow and they are neither here nor their...it's sort of dressed up slouchy...which i think only looks good if you are rail thin...so you need to be young or asian... i think it's only sold at the boutique on bleecker...so i don't think they have huge sales...and it's near the marc by marc jacobs store...if that tells you anything...a younger customer i think...

but beyond that i agree with both of you johnny and faust... i would never recommend it...

the sweater's ok johnny... simple...basic...looks like banana republic to me...
    or reiss...they have decent menswear i think...

5. metal-on-metal

They sell it at the store on Mercer, too.

6. softgrey

thx...i haven't been in there for about a year...i forgot... :P

7. faust

faust New Member

:clap: So, did you get the CDG scarf yet?

8. Acid

Acid yes

its so overpriced for what you get

you cant really look bad in the clothes......they are simple and wearable clothes but they look better from a distannce.
    when you get up close and examine them you will soon change your mind

you can get exactly the same clothes from another store for 1/10th of the price.

9. Johnny

Johnny New Member

Faust, LOL :lol: That was one funny little post. I thought I was cynical/gave short thrift to things I don't like!

Thanks Acid, softgrey, Chicketc as well. You confirmed what I kind of thought about it. And that's put me off the sweater, so saving me £400! having said all that, I have one MJ shirt from a couple of years ago, in pale blue pinstriped (white stripes) silk, and it is lovely. My wife got me it as a birthday present (for my 30th as I remember).

10. faust

faust New Member

Seriously, if I were you I'd put that 400 pounds as a down payment for one of those Junya Watanabe jackets (I finally checked them out, hit!!!)

11. Johnny

Johnny New Member

Oh and softgrey, you weren't being presumptious! :innocent: The gay boys and tourists line was so funny too. :lol:

12. MJCouture

MJCouture Active Member

I swear by Marc by Marc pants (but I guess, according to Softgrey, that'd be obvious because I am gay, young and rail thin :lol:), but haven't even considered looking at anything from the mainline in quite a while. I think it is overpriced, and rather dull. I don't mind the dull pieces at Marc by Marc where basic apparel costs $75-$300 and a lot of the stuff is kind of seasonless but I don't know where he gets off asking what he does for the Marc Jacobs line. If the stuff was wonderfully designed I could almost see it, but it isnt, it is such an afterthought.

Just to clarify the whole store thing- you can not buy mainline on Bleeker accept for at the accesories store, both the men's and women's stores down there only carry Marc by Marc. The Mercer Street store carries Marc Jacobs Collection for both men and women.

13. metal-on-metal

Not yet. I'm actually not in NY right now and I'm afraid they'll sell out by the time I return. :( They are so tempting, though!

14. Johnny

Johnny New Member

I'm not going to go for one of those jackets. I tried one on at the Dover Street store a couple of weeks ago, but i just don't see the point in the short sleeves. Also, I just cannot justify £1200 for a blazer. Junya's annoying me at the moment too. I have my eye on a grey or blue boiled wool jacket from the Homme+ collection - did you see those Faust? I've decided that the Homme + stuff is better for me than Junya. It's good for the young fogey look I'm going for this winter :lol: . My cardigan rocks! (although I won't be able to wear it for months cos it's too warm).

What did you think of the comme stuff generally?

15. faust

faust New Member

Aaah, ok. I think Comme stuff was hit or miss as always. I loved the sweaters, especially the fabrics Rei chose. I think I saw one almost like you bought. Does the fabric thin out at certain spots? I didn't much care for the suits to be honest. The prices for the Shirt line raised my brows, because it's supposed to be a cheaper line, but the prices were dead on with the Homme+ line. I understood what you meant about Junya's pants/jeans - unwearable. I liked one jacket a lot, but yea, $2000 - that's insane by any standard. I don't know if you saw my post in another thread but I bought a scarf by CDG Shirt. It looks like a football club scard (Man. U. colors), it has a lion and "comme des garcons shirt" written in gothic script. It was a sin not to buy it at $40 :lol:

P.S. To stay on topic, MJ menswear is trash!

16. softgrey

it's a free for all...posting about jane mayle in the milla jovovich thread and posting about cdg in the mj thread...

ANARCHY... :mohawk: :buzz:

17. PrinceOfCats

PrinceOfCats Naturellement pulpeuse

I seem to remember his menswear being described as 'understated'...that's one way of putting it...

18. Johnny

Johnny New Member

Yeah sorry that's my fault. :wacko: I'd like to continue the comme discussion but I'd better not!

Anyway, no one seems a fan of MJ (mainline anyway), so that's one thing I've learned today (as well as how little work I can do in an eight hour day).

19. helena

helena Swim Upstream

the sweater's ok johnny... simple...basic...looks like banana republic to me...
    or reiss...they have decent menswear i think...
    [snapback]327039[/snapback]​
    [/quote]

LOL - I thought I express on many occasions softgrey - maybe Johnny will listen to you!!! :lol: :lol: :innocent:

20. softgrey

off topic again...helena and johnny ...i am going to let you know when i finally book my ticket to london...maybe i can perrsuade you guys to come down for the weekend....we can eat and shop... and bargain hunt... :flower: :heart: