Marc Jacobs Menswear

A pair of Marc Jacobs trainers I found on Yoox, is anyone else thinking Converse's with knobs on? To me this about sums up MJ's menswear:

Originally posted by softgrey@Aug 10 2004, 11:27 AM
off topic again...helena and johnny ...i am going to let you know when i finally book my ticket to london...maybe i can perrsuade you guys to come down for the weekend....we can eat and shop... and bargain hunt... :flower: :heart:
[snapback]327160[/snapback]​

yeah softgrey - do that. That would be fun.

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Aug 10 2004, 11:30 AM
A pair of Marc Jacobs trainers I found on Yoox, is anyone else thinking Converse's with knobs on? To me this about sums up MJ's menswear:
[snapback]327165[/snapback]​

Yeah PoC, that's exactly right. I actually quite like the shoes, but they are just cons (but of course made of uselessly expensive leather). Would buy them only if they were about the price of cons.

MJ not a popular cookie here. Does anyone like his womanswear?

Originally posted by Johnny@Aug 10 2004, 11:45 AM
[snapback]327187[/snapback]​

See my original post :lol:

Originally posted by Johnny@Aug 10 2004, 11:45 AM
Yeah PoC, that's exactly right. I actually quite like the shoes, but they are just cons (but of course made of uselessly expensive leather). Would buy them only if they were about the price of cons.

[snapback]327187[/snapback]​

Well it's pretty but it's not breaking any boundaries. Fashion designers need to take the same approach as modern architects - forget the past, consider the requirements of a modern piece of clothing and design it from scratch without constantly referencing the past.

As it happens those shoes are about the same price (no-one bought them obviously, wonder why... :innocent: ) as a pair of Convs so I'm thinking about buying them.

do you guys think that marc jacobs menswear has suffered as a result of his association with lvmh? i mean some of the adjectives used to describe his menswear line describe his womenswear and his accessories line. i do agree with softgrey, insomuch as it is a very very very niche brand, but i think that we've not seen the full potential of the brand bc of a lack of resources.

bc if michael kors can, marc jacobs most certainly can give a new edge to menswear.

Originally posted by mikeijames@Aug 10 2004, 01:21 PM
do you guys think that marc jacobs menswear has suffered as a result of his association with lvmh? i mean some of the adjectives used to describe his menswear line describe his womenswear and his accessories line. i do agree with softgrey, insomuch as it is a very very very niche brand, but i think that we've not seen the full potential of the brand bc of a lack of resources.

bc if michael kors can, marc jacobs most certainly can give a new edge to menswear.
[snapback]327295[/snapback]​

No, personally, I just think it's ugly. And I'm not sure what you are referring to saying that kors gives an edge to menswear :unsure: I think his clothes are terribly bland, just like Jacobs'.

I agree, Faust, both Michael Kors menswear and womenswear are boring. looks like a granny.

It wasn't long ago that a famous fashion critic ( I forget who ) said about one of MJ's collections for LOUIS VUITTON , that he was just NOT a designer for men , and this was proven recently when he admitted in an article ( I think the link was on TFS but I cannot find it ) that he does NOT design the men's Vuitton collection , but issues instructions to his design team a la Tom Ford , for it to come up with the collection which he just nods through . He admitted he does not like designing for men and is positively relieved when others take the responsibility from him .

As to his mainline collection , it's been on sale here in Manchester , at both Selfridges AND Harvey Nicks , and there was practically as much left on the rails at the end of he season as there was at the beginning . There is NOTHING that shouts quality of manufacture about it , and his diffusion line - Marc by Marc Jacobs - is a disgrace in that respect , considering the prices . MJ seems to be aiming for the all - American luxury look with yuppie overtones and deliberatel understatement ( minimalism would one call it ? ) but it just comes out as plain BORING , which I think is why LVMH is reluctant to fund an expansion of his own line , a la JOHN GALLIANO . The clothes are just not distinctive enough . :blink: The designer who succeeds in this respect , where MJ fails miserably , is imho - Michael Kors . ( Don't all throw sharp objects at me at the same time !!!!! :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: ) .

I make NO comment on his women's clothes as I do not buy or wear them :blush: , but it takes the adverse comments here to make me realise that he is over hyped as a designer - I 've even seen it written that he's the world's Numero Uno as a designer , God love us !!!!!

IF you are talking about £400 for a cashmere sweater , just look at the one done for A/W 05/05 by ALEXANDER McQUEEN , it's exhorbitantly expensive , but UTTERLY BEAUTIFUL !!! :P :P :P

KIT :innocent:

i don't think i've ever even seen michael kors menswear...and i think his womenswear is overpriced j crew/banana republic/gap...i really does nothing for me...never has...

maybe it's too 'american'...(bland)...americans have never been famous for any style other than preppy...which only looks good if you're tall and pale and blonde... (wasp-y)...

as for the sneakers prince posted...the funny thing is...get ready...

marc jacobs ONLY WEARS CONVERSE SNEAKERS...!!!...period...so what does that tell you?...

don't believe the hype...!!!...

Originally posted by softgrey@Aug 10 2004, 02:01 PM
i don't think i've ever even seen michael kors menswear...and i think his womenswear is overpriced j crew/banana republic/gap...i really does nothing for me...never has...
[snapback]327355[/snapback]​

same is with menswear. it's all upper east side blandness. oh, yea, you can throw in john varvatos in the same pool while we are on the subject...

I believe Jeffrey NY sells Marc Jacobs?

The main line is high priced, and is perfect for when one wants to go slumming with winos, and the homeless without feeling cheap.

The secondary line has things made in China so no comment.

Originally posted by kit@Aug 10 2004, 02:52 PM
It wasn't long ago that a famous fashion critic ( I forget who ) said about one of MJ's collections for LOUIS VUITTON , that he was just NOT a designer for men , and this was proven recently when he admitted in an article ( I think the link was on TFS but I cannot find it ) that he does NOT design the men's Vuitton collection , but issues instructions to his design team a la Tom Ford , for it to come up with the collection which he just nods through.
[snapback]327344[/snapback]​

I don't think he even does that much for Vuitton mens anymore, kit. Photographer Willy Vanderperre, stylist Olivier Rizzo, and (one other person--Andre Walker, perhaps?) have fully taken the reigns of design, image development, and creative direction for the mens division. Consequently, their collections have gotten better and better.

i think that a lot of people are reacting to american menswear fashion in general. yes, american menswear is not french menswear or english menswear or italian menswear and THANK GOD...now that we've gotten that out of the way, i think that there are those who are pushing the boundaries of american menswear while remaining true to the legacy of american menswear. i want a guy to look sexy, he's going gucci, i want him to look rich, he's going turnbull, i want him to look mysterious, he's going dior homme. i want my guy to look nonchalant, he's going kors. i know the clothes aren't the most ground breaking but they do have a strong place. and michael kors is not ralph lauren is not donna karan is not marc jacobs. i think each brings something different to the table.

with that said, i just wonder why there's never a mj menswear "hit" or "it" item? i mean i know guys who broke their back at vuitton to get the monogram belts or the checkered trenches or the abbessess (and we won't even get into the shoes). i just have never seen there be any kind of frenzy around mj menswear AT ALL.

Originally posted by kit@Aug 10 2004, 01:52 PM

IF you are talking about £400 for a cashmere sweater , just look at the one done for A/W 05/05 by ALEXANDER McQUEEN , it's exhorbitantly expensive , but UTTERLY BEAUTIFUL !!! :P :P :P

KIT :innocent:
[snapback]327344[/snapback]​

Kit - I know the one you mean. I've had a look at this already. Actually it is a good deal less expensive than the MJ one, if it's the plain grey v neck you're thinking of. It's about £285 I think. May still be tempted.

Thanks to this thread I am well and truly off MJ, to the extent that I was dithering about it before. Sap. :wink:

Originally posted by Johnny@Aug 11 2004, 10:50 AM
Thanks to this thread I am well and truly off MJ, to the extent that I was dithering about it before. Sap. :wink:
[snapback]328294[/snapback]​

:clap:

Originally posted by chickonspeed@Aug 10 2004, 08:57 PM
I don't think he even does that much for Vuitton mens anymore, kit. Photographer Willy Vanderperre, stylist Olivier Rizzo, and (one other person--Andre Walker, perhaps?) have fully taken the reigns of design, image development, and creative direction for the mens division. Consequently, their collections have gotten better and better.
[snapback]327799[/snapback]​

they really have gotten better...i like the latest spring collection for vuitton very much...figures marc had nothing to do with it... :rolleyes:

thx for the info

i can find better stuff in a thrift store for waaaaaaaay cheaper

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->