Marc Jacobs Mixes It Up

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by metal-on-metal, Jan 4, 2004.

View Users: View Users
  1. metal-on-metal

Here is a Guy Trebay article on Marc Jacobs, done for the New York Times back in May 2002. I thought it was a good article. Enjoy!

2. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

Great article indeed Chicks! :flower:

Marc,like Tom Ford,I think,is one of those designers that you love or absolutely detest. Personally,I feel too many of his references are just too 'direct'. Then you have this overhyped aspect which kind of turns me off. I don't find anything cherishable about his work except that some things he's doing will eventually become a reaccuring trend in themselves.

3. metal-on-metal

I like Marc because he's really smart. Though he plays it down, I think he himself has such a strong grasp on trends and street style and the future of fashion. I think his approach to designing to really sensible and modern and I think he is unfairly criticized. I mean, at least he references directly and is honest about his inspirations.

And I love that he always gives plenty of credit to his design teams at both MJ and Vuitton. That's nice to see. He's so casual and not-snobby that it's almost unnerving.

4. Scott

I see your point and I agree especially that he never comes off as a snob. I like that aspect about him. I'm not saying anything horrible about his talents because he was big favorite of mine in the late nineties being that sort of American equivalent of Jil Sander. What's more,my tastes have kind of changed since and when he evolved into the nostalgia even more I couldn't relate to most of it--it just seemed much to literal for me.

5. metal-on-metal

Yeah, I totally understand, Scott. I hardly ever wear his clothes these days, but I still appreciate him for what he is. I think we all know that he isn't the next Balenciaga or Dior, but he's damn good at doing what he does. And he's marketed his brand so perfectly to straddle the line between mainstream and underground. A pretty brilliant guy, he is.

6. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

I think thats very true

he seems liek a good person , beging unpretensious and not snoby, he seems more reall.

I liek his clothes and i like his shoes alot. I dount think he is amazingly creative , I doutn think he is really inovative in an artistic sens. He just makes cute stuff, wich is may be anof for him. :flower:

7. lil'missy

lil'missy New Member

he dosn't have one orginal thought in his head.

i can't think of any designer i detest more than jacobs.
    oh wait i can, tara subkoff. (oh opps did i just refere to her as a designer??)

[​IMG]

8. lil'missy

lil'missy New Member

and i don't know how people can think he is underground when i see his clothes at nordstroms rack.

he's been around a lot longer than people remember. he is very mainstream

9. metal-on-metal

I wouldn't say he is underground, lil'missy. I said that he is able to tread that fine line between mainstream and underground. He isn't mainstream in the sense that Gucci or Vuitton is. But he isn't underground either. He is his own category, I think.

10. Scott

I don't think many of his fans really ever has referred to him as underground. In fact,most like him because he is hip and trendy, and somehow vintage-loving girls and boys appreciate what he does even more for the simple reason that he's able to bring about certain elements of what you would find in a vintage shop on the catwalk. Mainstream-wise,he is able to come up with sellable ideas,but really and truly he is merely just commercial.

As for what was in your parentheses,that's the aspect where I think people get most confused. Never would he be considered as a designer or an innovator. At least by those who are smart. He is a stylist in the sense that he rehashes existing forms and trends from the elder and makes them slightly more plausible for this era.

11. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

i think that marc jacobs is to american fashion what gucci and prada are to italian fashion.

12. ignitioned32

ignitioned32 Mannikin

I agree with chick! :flower: Thanks for the article, too. :)

I also think Marc is going to be a new pillar of the New York fashion industry. Like Ralph and Donna he samples the past then makes it modern. They have some similarities but are totally different. ;)

13. strawberry daiquiri

strawberry daiquiri seagreen serenades

Another Marc article, blah

:heart: 'super-feminine'

14. strawberry daiquiri

strawberry daiquiri seagreen serenades

Oh and a picture to make me weak

[​IMG]

15. PrinceOfCats

PrinceOfCats Naturellement pulpeuse

This looks like Calvin & Hobbes to me:

16. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

Great articles, thanks for posting.

I do think that Marc is often misunderstood in a variety of ways. I think his "vintage" references are meant to be ironic and witty. I actually saw an article criticizing his Spring collection (this year) for trying to return women to the 50s. Uh, no. Shouldn't people who are unwilling to undertake the slightest research be barred from writing for major fashion publications? (This was Candace Bushnell writing for Bazaar.) And I also don't understand why anyone who saw Fall 05 could continue to call him non-innovative and purely commercial. I thought it was pretty clear he was the first designer who caught the current wave.