Marc Jacobs S/S 2016 by David Sims

dodencebt

Reaction score
QNCIKnZ.jpg

Marc Jacobs Casts Transgender Director of ‘The Matrix’ Lana Wachowski in Spring Campaign
By Jessica Iredale

Marc Jacobs has plenty of experience casting novelty models/celebrities for his campaigns (Jennifer Jason Leigh, Miley Cyrus, Victoria Beckham.) His spring campaign, which he just revealed via his Instagram account, features Lana Wachowski, formerly Larry Wachowski, who directed “The Matrix” with her brother Andy Wachowski, and came out publicly about her gender transition from male to female in 2012. David Sims shot the campaign, styled by Katie Grand. It will appear in the February issue of Vogue.

According to a statement from Jacobs, “This season’s ad campaign represents a series of connected events; a visual narrative. It is a personal diary of people who have and continue to inspire me and open my mind to different ways of seeing and thinking.

“The spectrum of individuals photographed in our spring/summer 2016 ad campaign represent a celebration of my America. In collaboration with photographer David Sims and stylist Katie Grand, the people featured in our campaign personify this collection of fashion through their individuality. Collectively, they embody and celebrate the spirit and beauty of equality.

“It is with an overwhelmingly full heart that I share this first portrait of our spring/summer 2016 ad campaign. Lana Wachowski.

“I was first introduced to Lana via YouTube in December 2012. The speech Lana gave to accept the Human Rights Campaign, Visibility Award, (October 20, 2012) was utterly profound in its script and her articulate, brilliant and timeless delivery.

“She expressed thoughts and ideas that have filled my head and heart always but had never been so eloquently captured in language that was so tangible, intelligent, poignant and full of possibility. I found myself referencing Lana’s words in my daily life and sharing her speech with close friends.

“In the days before our spring/summer ‘16 fashion show and through a fateful series of communications, much to my incomprehensible delight, Lana accepted an invitation to our show in New York City and thus I took her, ‘fashion show virginity.’ Lana’s ineffable beauty captured by David in this portrait reminds me of the personal sentiment she shared with me about ‘learning you can make important friends at anytime in your life.'”

Wachowski is but one of a wide variety of personalities cast in the campaign. Jacobs plans to unveil them via his Instagram account (https://www.instagram.com/themarcjacobs/?hl=en) over the next few weeks.
wwd.com

I don´t like this at all... photography and styling are lacking. She looks like a 90s rocker imo, which is the only thing I like.
Hopefully other images will be better.

Love it! Look at her face, so much joy! And she is rocking the styling.

She's really stuck in the mid-90s raver thing, isn't she? At least put a decent wig on her. Even in her and her brother's messy films, the characters all have that ugly 90s raver thing going. Yuck.

A very talented and inspirational woman, great choice for a campaign. Love this concept of using people who are truly talented and unexpected.
I think it was necessary for her to have her signature dreads in the image. This is a picture of her where she's not meant to embody someone else per se. It would be weirder to have her styled into something else when I think the message is about celebrating individuality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perfect! Lana so fits the MJ brand. And love that she is so happy and full of energy. Something usually lacking in campaigns anymore.

I love Lana so much, this is perfect. Even though I kinda expected her to be in the camapign. I'm glad Marc is continuing this muses concept because he really has the best muses.

The ad is very beautiful. There's a glow and something very sincere about it. It feels very natural like it's not even a fashion campaign. Also the composition doesn.t look like anything we've been seeing lately. Of course the full ad with the logo might change the effect.

It does feel very 90s , yes, but I just love how they didn't try to style Lana into some kind of fashion-doll. Just let her shine as her beautiful self.

I think her smile is the only redeeming feature for me. The rest doesn't appeal to me. Must the clothes/styling look so ugly?

I'm assuming she won't be the only person in this campaign. There has to be models as well, right?

I had to check how old Lana is because she looks so young here and I really like her energy and her smile, it's infectious. I don't like the styling here, it's dated and disconnected with the mood but I'll wait for the whole campaign.

I love her smile in that photograph - it's pure joy. And something different compared to most serious fashion campaigns.

The title of the article does frustrate me a bit though 'transgender director'. Is that really necessary? You also don't see XX brand uses 'straight model/actor whatever'. Like it's some kind of novelty the cast someone from the transgender community in a campaign. It's not and it's shouldn't be.

At first, I thought it was Chanel Iman

Wachowski is but one of a wide variety of personalities cast in the campaign. Jacobs plans to unveil them via his Instagram account (https://www.instagram.com/themarcjacobs/?hl=en) over the next few weeks.

After the mess last season, I'm already not looking forward to this. I just don't see the appeal in cramming as many celebrities ("personalities") into one campaign, basically having nothing to do with one another except for some hackneyed theme which always just seems like excuse for the designer to pal around with famous people.

...except for some hackneyed theme which always just seems like excuse for the designer to pal around with famous people.

And even more so in his case!! Just spotted Sandra Bernard on his IG. The shot is nothing special of course. David Sims' first two campaigns for MJ main line was really quite something, but I'm well bored of his studio settings.

Why can't campaigns just feature models. The clothes look good on them and they need the money.

I want some models.

I really like the idea of having his favorite people in an campaign but i wanted something directional and really festive for this collection.
The runway show makes me want to buy the whole collection whereas the campaign is a bit...boring. Not boring because of the personalities but boring because of the actual concept.

I miss the madness of his ads with Teller.

Sandra Bernhard
MJ Instagram

Attachments

• sandra.jpg
    sandra.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 47

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crowbar69