Marc Jacobs Sues Ed Hardy Over Embroidered, Ugly Nylon Bag

Discussion in 'In the News...' started by farou7a, Feb 12, 2010.

1. farou7a

farou7a New Member

source: fashionista.com

Attached Files:

2. jomarlushka

jomarlushka New Member

Marc Jacobs Sues Ed Hardy Over Quilted Tote
    abcnewyork.com , pic: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/blogs/the...Sues-Ed-Hardy-Over-Quilted-Tote-83979267.html
    IP Trademark Attorney

We'll admit, there were more than a few snickers in our office when we heard Marc Jacobs was bringing a lawsuit against king-of-tattoo-fashion Christian Audigier. The two bags do look similar, but we're not exactly laywers.

According to Jacobs' lawsuit, Ed Hardy's quilted bag -- which, of course, bears Ed Hardy's quilted lettering instead of Jacobs' and is also embellished with swirling fish -- "unlawfully bear marks confusingly similar to the Marc Jacobs Scrambled Trademark." Now, we've been seeing a lot of worthy lawsuits flung around over shoes (see exhibits Danner v Rag & Bone and McQueen v Madden), but this is one of the first bags we've seen, and we must admit, it's not exactly one we'd be falling over ourselves to snap up regardless.

3. silk skin paws

silk skin paws doldrums

To me both look like typical quilted bags and on the other hand it's the monograms stitched into Ed Hardy's that could make a case against them. I think it's coincidense rather than infringement.

4. Fashionturnip

Fashionturnip Active Member

^^^no way its 'coincidence'. I work in buying. its common practice to rip stuff off....but try and make it less blatant!! :o

5. jun3machina

jun3machina New Member

hahahha. go MJ! no coincidence at all. i wonder if they even took apart the bag to replicate the pattern. all the proportions are pretty much the same. MJ knows better....change at least 3 things to make it your own. i think he commented on the act of copying beore, but im so happy their suing E.H.....such douche-baggery i cant stand it!

6. Working Girl

Working Girl New Member

Marc suing someone for stealing. What irony!!.

7. Littleathquakes

Littleathquakes Well-Known Member

^ LOL right? didn't he settle out of court when someone sued him over a look-alike scarf or something?

Anywho, that Ed Hardy bag definitely took some liberties with MJ's design. It's so ridiculous

8. ad041715

ad041715 New Member

^ He bought that scarf at a flea market though! :P Overall, I'm ecstatic he's suing Ed Hardy for this. It was a very shameful thing to do. It looks like an exact replica! :doh:

9. Eimii

Eimii New Member

Even though it is ironic, everyone should sue Ed Hardy for bieng forced to look at the atrocities he produces..

10. farou7a

farou7a New Member

11. maxlinden

maxlinden Active Member

the bacg looks exact, maybe this will send a message to other companies to stop the copycat madness

12. farou7a

farou7a New Member

source: fashionista