Marchesa Luisa Casati

Spike413

barcode
Reaction score
Well, I didn't find any threads on her, so mods, I appologize if it does need to be merged.

I thought this would be an appropriate thread because Luisa Casati was just a facinating woman in all aspects of her life. She was eccentric, even by today's standards, she was dark, decadent, glamourous and scandalous....way before it was ever de rigeur to be so. Her appearence was memorable, with the palest of white skin, blood red lips, unusually large kohl rimmed eyes (made all the more unusual looking by drops of belladonna, which dilated the larger then natural) all topped by a tousled mane of flame red hair. Casati infamously walked her pet cheetahs around Venice, naked underneath her fur coat, had a staff of gilded nude males attend her, and held the most lavish of parties. If not for her, Paris Hilton et al would have nothing to do. She was a great patron of the arts such as painting, sculpture, photography and (most appropriate here) fashion. She was outfitted by designers including Poiret, Fortuny, Bakst, Vionnet and Schiaparelli; played muse to artists including Boldini, Van Dongen, Man Ray and Beaton, just to name a few.

Contemporary designers and artists have been inspired by her unusual beauty and eccentric style as well, most notibly by John Galliano for his s/s 98 Dior HC show but apparently inspired Visconti and was one of many influences for the YSL s/s 04 collection (did not know that:innocent:)

10f.jpg
13f.jpg

15f.jpg
02f.jpg

photos: Style.com

painting by Van Dongen
vandongen.jpg

photo: Marchesacasati.com

photographed in a Bakst costume, portrait by Van Dongen
10_g.jpg
4_g.jpg

photos: Repubblica.it

portrait by Alberto Martini, photo by Adolph de Meyer
marchesa101_5.jpg
marchesa27.jpg

photos: art-is-life.com

photo by Man Ray
manraycasati.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
love those images, spike.
thanks for bringing in such a lovely piece of history ^_^ :heart:

You're quite welcome!

Fashion inspired by her.....

Christian Dior haute couture s/s 1998
00008.L.JPG
00029.L.JPG

00005.L.JPG
00074.L.JPG

00058.L.JPG
00059.L.JPG

photos: Firstview.com

YSL Rive Gauche s/s 04 (actually, I can kinda see it, especially the hair and makeup)
100120041.jpg

100120042.jpg
100120088.jpg

100120046.jpg

photos: Style.com

Very interesting! I've never heard of her but I definitely won't forget :smile:

Attachments

• Marchesa_Luisa_Casati_with_a_Greyhound.jpg
    Marchesa_Luisa_Casati_with_a_Greyhound.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 15
I had never heard of Marchesa Luisa Casati until last month, when I read a blurb about her in the Elle (US) september issue. Just click on the image:

^ Scanned it myself

She certainly was a fascinating woman, in a creepy sort of way :P

source: style.com

Today, scandalous socialites are a dime a dozen, but the Marchesa Luisa Casati was a true original. Born in 1881 to a wealthy Milanese industrial family, Casati did nothing by halves. She whitened her already ivory skin, grew her copper hair down her back, and added luster to her remarkable green eyes with regular doses of belladonna drops. Let other society ladies carry lap dogs; she draped herself in snakes, and walked her pet cheetahs across Venice at night wearing nothing but a fur coat. Casati covered her servants in gold leaf, held black Masses, gave lavish parties, and indulged in Poiret and Fortuny clothes and Cartier jewels.Her greatest passion was the arts (and sometimes the artists; viz., her notorious affair with the writer Gabriele D'Annunzio). Everyone from Giovanni Boldini to Man Ray painted, sculpted, or photographed la Marchesa. Later, when the funds ran out, she withdrew to London, where she lived in relative obscurity until her death in 1957. That's just the barest gloss on an uncommon personality; fortunately for the curious, a new and completely updated edition of Scot D. Ryersson and Michael Orlando Yaccarino's biography Infinite Variety: The Life and Legend of the Marchesa Casati has just come out with even more detail. Take that, Paris Hilton!

—Janet Ozzard

Images from the slideshow. i didn't post all images, cause some were already posted in the thread :flower:

source: style.com
01f.jpg
Casati in her early twenties, circa 1905.

08f.jpg
In fancy dress, shot by an unknown photographer, around 1912.

07f.jpg
A pen-and-ink portrait by Roberto Montenegro, 1914.

09f.jpg
With one of her pet snakes, at a ball in Paris, 1920's.

03f.jpg
As Salomé, by Alastair, circa 1920's.

17f.jpg
Portrait Behind a Small Greenhouse Plant, Ball in Hand, Behind Glass, by Man Ray, 1922.

I have the book "Magnificent Obsession" on Casati :woot:
Love her...she had wild animals for pets & was so very striking and strange.

Oh how divine! Orchide I have that book as well...but I haven't read it yet. :wink:

So glad you started this thread- Spike!
I adore her too. My favorite things I've read about her fashion style- were the crazy things she did to her body before parties or going out to the opera. Supposedly she once had her driver kill a chicken or rooster and pour the blood down her pale white arms right before a performance so that it dried down her arm in a pattern. She also put strange drops in her eyes to dilute the pupils so that they were all green. I like that you can read that entire book about her & she still remains so mysterious. They said she was the most replicated woman in art aside from the Virgin Mary at one point. I'm not sure if that is true or not? Her style was unforgettable

Vosges had a collection of chocolates named after her: Marchese Collection. They were truffles topped with pearl dust. :heart:

Notoriety

from wikipedia:

The Marchesa Luisa Casati [1] (1881-1957) lived in the unfinished Palazzo Venier dei Leoni, Venice, (now the Peggy Guggenheim Collection) between about 1910 and 1924.

She was born the second daughter of a wealthy cotton manufacturer, Alberto Amman and his wife Lucia Bressi, and the early deaths of her parents made Luisa and her elder sister, Francesca, the wealthiest heiresses in Italy.
She was beautiful, and an extravagant hostess to the Ballets Russes, as well as the subject of numerous portraits by artists as various as Giovanni Boldini, Paul Troubetzkoy, Romaine Brooks, Kees van Dongen, Man Ray and Augustus John. Her dances hosted by her often had famous participants performing, such as Isadora Duncan. She often astonished the Venetians by parading with a pair of leashed pet cheetahs.
As the concept of a dandy was expanded in the 20th century to include women dandies, the marchesa Casati suited the role, once proclaiming: "I want to be a living work of art", the true instinct of every dandy. It was once said that "Everywhere she went, she set trends, inspired genius and astounded even the most jaded members of the international aristocracy." [2] She was flamboyant, and had numerous friends and admirers throughout the artistic and writing communities. Her often brash and open sexuality included bisexuality, with close friends in the majority lesbian writing communities, including Peggy Guggenheim, Natalie Barney, Djuna Barnes, and Bryher. Her most notable bisexual affair was with Natalie Barney's longtime lesbian lover, artist Romaine Brooks.

i don't undesrtand why Paris Hilton is brought up here - she is a typical glossy socialite, can't see a bit of extravaganza in her image. It's like comparing plastic glam and avantgarde.

After coming across this thread, I went on to read about her...she is so unbelievably fascinating! I hope to find her biography 'Infinite Variety'...has anyone read this?

Little Star said:
After coming across this thread, I went on to read about her...she is so unbelievably fascinating! I hope to find her biography 'Infinite Variety'...has anyone read this?
I just realised that this is the book I have:lol: for some reason, I chose to rename it Magnificent Obsession up above which is completely different:blink: :P
This book is a bit of a "dry" read...meaning its not the juiciest or most gossipy but has great pictures and even just written in a dry way, her life is so amazing, it still comes off as lurid:woot:

Thankyou Orchide! I might pick it up sometime soon...hopefully its not too dry - considering how interesting her life sounds, it shouldn't be too bad!

Orchide, I figured you meant INFINITE VARIETY. :wink: That's the book I have as well.

Little Star, I ordered mine from Amazon. :flower:

I agree with Orchide--considering her life was so amazing- it's strange how the book The Infinite Variety comes off a bit dry. Some of it sounds so juicy and yet the way it is written somehow it barely scratches the surface. I wanted to know more when I finshed it. Still, it is nice at times...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->