Martin Margiela Aids T-shirt

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by faust, Mar 24, 2004.

View Users: View Users
  1. faust

faust New Member

I'm sure some of you know about this (I know Scott does), but MMM has been producing a t-shirt for a number of seasons now, always with the same design, but a different color every season, with the sales proceeds going to an AIDS charity fund. There is a print on the shirt that starts at the bottom of the back and continues through the top front (just imagine a t-shirt being folded over), which reads something like "There is more to be done about fighting AIDS than wearing this t-shirt, but it's a good start". The t-shirt is inexpensive, $45 in the US, 20 GBP in UK. I own two, a blue one and a brown one, and I am planning to get a third one this season. One I got in NYC and one I got at Harvey Nicks while visiting London. If you choose to buy one, find a retail who does not overcharge you (some stores try to sell it for $75, not nice to make money off of something like that!). Anyway, I'm providing a picture from of the current season's color, and a short list of retailers (that I know of)

NYC

IF Boutique, Seven, Steven Allen (Barneys and Jeffrey try to sell them for $75, bastards!!!)

London

Harvey Nichols

I am sure you can find one in stores that carry MMM.

[​IMG]

2. Meg

Meg inspired contemplation

Does Harvey Nicks jack up the price? If not I might check them out tomorrow when I go
    Thanks Faust :flower:

3. faust

faust New Member

Nope, not when I bought it. Got it for 20 GBP, 2 years ago.

4. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

I lvoe these tee's so cool and stylish and a good cuase. :heart:

5. Christopher31

Christopher31 New Member

I really want one!... i was going to order one from aloharag.com but they overcharge. DO you happen to have the phone numbers to any of these boutiques?

6. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

here's the number for seven-646-654-0156
    sevennewyork.com

7. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

they are quite very popular over here, seems most of my friends own several of those (its fun to keep up with their different editions)

(i've also seen some :sick: copies of those..erhh how we say 'inspired by MMM')

thanks for bringing this up faust :flower:

8. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

I've got one,most certainly. Mine is the one from Spring 2002;a putty blue with a light fleshy-coloured pink in the painted text. And I got it from Louis in Antwerp for 40€. So no,not very expensive at all.

They're very trendy with the fashion crowd I've come to notice,mostly in Europe as Lena said,especially with MMM's fellow creatives. Lutz wears one all the time as does Marjan Pejoski.

9. faust

faust New Member

Here is Steven Alan website. I won't go digging for IF's number unless you'll have no luck otherwise, because lately their salespeople started annyoing me with their "Holier than thou" attitude.

stevenalan

You're in LA, right? I remember a small store on sunset strip across from H.Lorenzo, they carried MMM, you might want to check it out.

10. ignitioned32

ignitioned32 Mannikin

Its nice to see it is for a good cause. :flower: Thanks faust! ;)

11. Christopher31

Christopher31 New Member

called IF boutique and the salesperson said that they had them, they are $50

12. Alejandro

Alejandro & R.V.R

Only 50 bucks? :eek:

I want one :cry:

13. Meg

Meg inspired contemplation

I checked them out yesterday. Harvey Nich's was selling them for 30 pounds while Liberty was selling them for.... :eek: ....sixty pounds! I couldn't believe it! My friend and I were horrified.

14. kit

kit New Member

This should be referred right back to the ' Love that ! You paid what ?!!! ' thread . :rolleyes:

15. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

That makes one's stomach turn. I mean for something as the charity it goes toward,they have the audacity and calousness to raise the general price tag?! Of course,I suppose that happens with those snobby 'exclusive' shops,non? Mehg,I think Pineal Eye also sells those t's if you want to check them out....they seem less,how do you say,arrogant.

16. faust

faust New Member

My thoughts exactly when I saw what Barneys and Jeffreys charge for them...

17. oStelios

oStelios New Member

martin margiela T-shirt

I'm looking for the gold on black one :unsure:

18. faust

faust New Member

I have a few, including the gold on black. BTW, there is a thread on this t-shirt already.

19. Arturo21

Arturo21 New Member

Isn't it available on Aloha Rag? I think maybe Yoox might carry it, not sure..and ebay has a few, or had. Good luck. :flower:

20. rach2jlc

rach2jlc New Member

This might be more appropriate in the older post on this t-shirt series, so feel free to move it if necessary.

But, I was wondering if somebody had pictures or descriptions of the color schemes for each season? For example, X-season Gold/Black, etc.

I've seen the more recent seasons, but I haven't seen some of the older ones. If anybody could post pictures with the season and color (or just the description), I would be really interested to see/read it.

Thanks,
    John

p.s. Speaking of outrageous prices, I live in Japan, where they start at about 11,000 yen (USD $105) and go up from there. I was really surprised to hear that the actual retail is $40.

#20 rach2jlc, Apr 19, 2005
    Last edited by moderator stripeysocks77: Apr 19, 2005