Martin Margiela

Discussion in 'History of Style : a remembrance of things past' started by cultstatus, May 10, 2020.

1. cultstatus

cultstatus Member

I'm not quite sure where to post this question, however I asked something similar in the Chalayan thread here and got the answer I was after.

I'm trying to ascertain what labels are for what periods at margiela, can someone tell me when the care labels switched from the Martin Margiela to Maison Martin Margiela with numbers? I've seen pieces up to around 2009-11 with the MARTIN MARGIELA care labels shown below. Does someone know when they switched over exactly?

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. bc collector

bc collector Well-Known Member

I think the care labels themselves never really changed from MM to JG, they kept the number system that Martin had devised for each collection.
    But the name of the company itself, as it appeared on packaging and store windows, switched to Maison Margiela in 2015, slightly after JG took over as creative director.

#2 bc collector, May 10, 2020
    Last edited: May 10, 2020
  3. cultstatus

cultstatus Member

Thank you for the reply, I agree with you on that.

But at some point the care labels changed as shown above, post Martin but before JG - the numbers shown on care label it still included Martin in the name until JG right?

Does anyone else have any information on the year they changed this?

#3 cultstatus, May 10, 2020
    Last edited: May 10, 2020
  4. bc collector

I'm not sure I'm following you here, man.
    Either MM or MMM never appeared on the care labels, these being just the number series you've probably seen (and before that, just plain white labels with four corner stitches ). Unless you might be referring to the MM6 or the Replica lines, where Maison Margiela appears but only after 2015, I believe.

5. cultstatus

cultstatus Member

I'm just wanting to know when the labels changed over with the two images I supplied above. To help determine what era of Margiela certain pieces are from that I own.

Sorry my previous message was confusing about the 'Martin' until JG. Disregard that.

I just would like to know when the care labels in garments changed, what year - the labels in the images provided, if possible.

6. bc collector

Sorry, can't see the images

7. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

I think I get what you want despite not being able to see the images....

S/S 2009 was the first season when the name on the labels care change from « MARTIN MARGIELA » to « MAISON MARTIN MARGIELA ».

When Galliano joined the house, it changed to « MAISON MARGIELA » and when he started to design the menswear, indications of the manufacture changed.
    It was all produced by Staff International and in 2018 it changed to « Produced and Distributed by Margiela Group SRL ».

I don’t know if there’s official documentation about it but it’s all based on what I’ve seen on the pieces I have.

8. cultstatus

cultstatus Member

I'm sorry you can't see the images I uploaded. They were showing up on my end. Let me know if you can see the one in this post (not from the jacket I mention below but you get the idea).

It's interesting because I have one particular jacket I was curious about. It wasn't a show piece but it was mainline (1). I asked someone who works at the Antwerp fashion museum who said because of the shoulders he thought it was after Martin had left the brand. But it still had the block MARTIN MARGIELA care label, not MAISON MARTIN MARGIELA with numbers on the care label. So they were still using that label after Martin left.

[​IMG]

#8 cultstatus, May 11, 2020
    Last edited: May 11, 2020