Max Wilson Interview

stylegurrl

Reaction score
I came across this interview during an internet search. He offers good tips/info.

Max Wilson- VP Womens Design-Sean John

A Conversation with an Industry Leader
September 22, 2004
By: Jessica Morris

Max Wilson, VP of Design for Sean John Womens Line, has designed for Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, and more. Recently appointed to his new position, Max’s goal is to design the best line possible. Dedicated to the growth and recognition of emerging talent, Max has offered the following insight into his career.

24/7: What do you do to stay creative?

MW: I keep my eyes open; try to see as much of everything that I can; look to the streets; make sure I am aware.

24/7: What is your greatest source of inspiration?

MW: It is always something different- sometimes it is a book, a photograph, a story, an old piece of clothing- cant really say- its always something different.

24/7: What has been your biggest obstacle working in the fashion industry?

MW: Getting people to do new things, to move forward a little faster. Idea wise, I mean.

24/7: When hiring new designers, what do you look for in a portfolio?

MW: Talent- I really like designers who can draw, for example, the designer that I hired through your company, she has AMAZING talent, one of the most incredible artists I have ever seen. She is so versatile, she can draw different styles, people, and attitudes. If you can’t draw, its very difficult to convey your message.

24/7: In a resume?
MW: Have to have worked at strong companies, been there for awhile, and not jumped around.

24/7: In an interview?

MW: The person has to know how to be positive, to be able to project a positive image. Otherwise, it seems like you may not care or may be ambivalent. A positive attitude can never serve you badly.

24/7: Who is your mentor?

MW: I would definitely have to say Ralph Lauren.

24/7: What metric do you use to measure your success?

MW: It is really a combination of inside and outside recognition. I have to feel good about what I am doing- lately, I have had a lot of positive reactions from people. Respect is a good indicator.

24/7: How do you view a resume with significant freelance experience?

MW: Viewed as a positive. Some people are freelancers and that is what they do- depends on what they are being hired for. As long as they can do the job they are hired to do- that is all that matters.

24/7: Who are your favorite designers?

MW: Balenciaga which is very classic and interesting. Proenza Schouler- the spring colors from this week were incredible.

24/7: What book are you currently reading?

MW: Oh, gosh- I cant remember the title- but it is about this town in ancient Spain.

24/7: What would you say is the most critical concept for young designers to know today?

MW: Patience. You have to learn the business, especially the business part. Design schools should really implement business classes because a lot of designers don’t know the business side at all. Its important to understand that you actually have to make clothes that are wearable and that look good on the page- not some of these totally out there pieces.

24/7: Have you ever thought about starting your own line?

MW: No. Absolutely not.

24/7: Why not?

MW: Because I would rather continue working for successful companies- like Ralph Lauren and Sean John. It is a great work experience to work for a successful company- because you have access to everything and you are working with the best of everything and everyone. I think I am too spoiled now so I wouldn’t want to start out on my own unless I had a lot of money behind me- once you have done it this way, its hard to go back and do it the bare bones way.

24/7: What are your favorite magazines?

MW: Italian Vogue, French Vogue, and W Magazine. I also really like New York Magazine- it just has everything in it- its great.

24/7: If you could give one piece of advice to recent grads looking for design positions; what would it be?

MW: It is so crucial to be open to the environment that you are going into. You have to remember that there is always something to learn although you do have to have a balance between sticking to your guns and being open to learning and change.

24/7: What is one pro and one con of working in the fashion industry?

MW: Pro is that its very glamorous and you get to travel a lot which I love to do. A con is that it is very superficial, catty, and bitchy, and I am not like that- so it is frustrating.

24/7: What is one thing you wish you had known before embarking on a career in fashion?

MW: That its not just about talent.

24/7: Fill in the blank- Fashion is _______.

MW: Fashion is exciting.

24/7: What do you hope to achieve with your new position?

MW: I hope to make this experience the best that it can be- to make it amazing and to do an amazing collection, to get good press and make sure it sells….

I'm looking foward to seeing what they come up with. I hope it's classy, but I wonder if it will really sell. P.Diddy says that he hopes to compete with Gucci and Prada, but will women really ditch Prada for Sean John? I think not :innocent:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ozilya
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->