MDC Rankings

Discussion in 'The ETC's of the Modeling World' started by khyrk, Aug 29, 2015.

1. khyrk

khyrk Oh Yeah!

MDC just recently seemed to overhaul their rankings and this is the new list after the inclusion/addition/modification. I hope we all will be able to maintain an objective, mature and healthy discussion :lol:

LEGENDS

Carla Bruni
    Carmen dell'Orefice
    Christy Turlington
    Cindy Crawford
    Claudia Schiffer
    Gisele Bundchen
    Heidi Klum
    Iman Abdulmajid
    Kate Moss
    Linda Evangelista
    Milla Jovovich
    Naomi Campbell
    Stephanie Seymour
    Tyra Banks

NEW SUPERS

Adriana Lima
    Cara Delevingne
    Daria Werbowy
    Doutzen Kroes
    Joan Smalls
    Jourdan Dunn
    Karen Elson
    Karlie Kloss
    Kate Upton
    Laetitia Casta
    Lara Stone
    Liu Wen
    Liya Kebede
    Miranda Kerr
    Natalia Vodianova
    Natasha Poly

INDUSTRY ICONS

The Establishment

Alek Wek
    Alessandra Ambrosio
    Amber Valletta
    Angela Lindvall
    Anja Rubik
    Carmen Kass
    Carolyn Murphy
    Elise Crombez
    Eva Herzigova
    Frankie Rayder
    Gemma Ward
    Guinevere Van Seenus
    Helena Christensen
    Ines de la Fressange
    Isabeli Fontana
    Jamie Bochert
    Julia Stegner
    Karolina Kurkova
    Kirsten Owen
    Kristen McMenamy
    Malgosia Bela
    Mariacarla Boscono
    Nadja Auermann
    Pat Cleveland
    Raquel Zimmermann
    Shalom Harlow
    Stella Tennant
    Vivien Solari

New Generation

Abbey Lee
    Agyness Deyn
    Arizona Muse
    Cameron Russell
    Candice Swanepoel
    Caroline Trentini
    Catherine McNeil
    Coco Rocha
    Constance Jablonski
    Crystal Renn
    Daria Strokous
    Edie Campbel
    Edie Campbell
    Edita Vilkeviciute
    Fei Fei Sun
    Freja Beha Erichsen
    Hanne Gaby Odiele
    Hilary Rhoda
    Iselin Steiro
    Jessica Stam
    Julia Nobis
    Karmen Pedaru
    Kasia Struss
    Lily Donaldson
    Lindsey Wixson
    Magdalena Frackowiak
    Meghan Collison
    Sasha Pivovarova
    Saskia de Brauw
    Sigrid Agren
    Suvi Koponen
    Tao Okamoto
    Toni Garrn

The rest of the list: http://models.com/rankings/^_^

Thoughts?

#1 khyrk, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited by moderator Sophie Lambert: Aug 29, 2015
  2. khyrk

khyrk Oh Yeah!

I think that Sasha, Freja, Lily and Stam should be included in The Establishment and not New Generation. It's an insult to their amazing body of work and recent bookings. If Julia Stegner is there, so should the rest of the girls I mentioned. It's amazing to see Natasha finally included in the New Supers, her resume speaks for itself. I like Jourdan but what has she done to merit her inclusion in New Supers? And how about Kate Upton? What are her bluechip bookings for the past 12 months? :huh:

3. Clipse

Clipse Member

It doesn't really seem like they changed anything? And I'm sorry but they really need to change the name to lists since they don't actually rank anymore.

It's so bizarre to have a description at the top of a list when some of the models in that list don't fit that criteria! I mean since when does Tyra and Heidi have "At least 15 years of high profile work with top magazines, photographers and brands"?

Can anyone not interested in fashion actually name Daria and Natasha? And over Alessandra and Candice who should be in that list instead?

And there are way too many icons. They need to merge the lists as I agree that Caroline T, Coco, Daria S, Freja, Hilary, Iselin, Stam, Lily D and Sasha are actual industry icons. The rest are in no way an icon. I mean Arizona after a few years at the top and then vanishing? Karmen who doesn't even have a major Vogue cover and has yet to prove herself outside of Gucci and Kors? Kasia? Meghan? It's too soon to call Lindsey, Julia N, Edie and Saskia icons. Saskia has already slowed down! None of those girls are "Averaging around 7 years at blue chip level under their belts"

4. Aizanara

Aizanara Well-Known Member

Some girls disappeared from the Top 50 models ranking (Marine D, Tilda Lindstam..)
    They should add another category between the Top 50 and the Icons because it's a mess right now.

5. Scotty

Scotty Well-Known Member

I don't see how they improved, especially with the mess in the Icons lists..

6. CommanderTMugler

CommanderTMugler Well-Known Member

They have way too many models and too many categories. They can do a better job at trimming the fat.

Combine the new generation with the establishment. Move a couple from the establishment up to the new supers and drop some from the new generation and place them with their Top 50.

Miranda and Kate Upton while popular, haven't really had much work recently when you compare them to the other "Supers", knock them down to the icons.

7. SpeakThatJDunn

SpeakThatJDunn Well-Known Member

She's had over 8 years in the industry and has managed to excel being a just a face and establish herself as a brand, through endorsements and social media. She has a Maybelline contract and still gets top editorial work. That's what the criteria is. While yes, not Miss Bluechip, her name in and out of the industry is enough to be classed as a "New Super". She's still getting covers and campaigns, and isn't going anywhere soon, so they know she's still rising. Also she helped kicked the door back down for black models. Being the first black model for Prada in 10 years, the first solo black female on British Vogue in 12 years and the first British Black model to make Forbes. Also, the highest paid black model according to Forbes. She's made quite a bit of history with her race alone!

I agree that Kate Upton is a reach.

Also i hope they update the male model ranking and put Mathias and Clement as "Supers".

#7 SpeakThatJDunn, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited by moderator MikChick: Aug 29, 2015
  8. anlabe32

anlabe32 Well-Known Member

The top 50 contains of 70 girls... while I can easily point out 20 models who can be taken off.

The worst list though, is the Money list.
    Alana Zimmer, Ava Smith, CBN, Diana Moldovan, Esther Heesch, Herieth Paul, Janice Alida, Karlina Caune, Kel Markey, Marique Schimmel, Samantha Gradoville, Sara Blomqvist, Tess Helfeuer, Tian Yi and Tilda Lindstam are being ranked as High Earners while I doubt they earn anything at all. They've all moved on from modeling probably because they can't make a living out of it. It just proves that MDC is highly biased and is probably having deals with certain agencies to put models on their lists.

Amber Valletta is a legend while Cat McNeil, Crystal Renn, Hanne Gaby, Julia Nobis, Kasia Struss, Meghan, Sigrid and Tao don't have the resume to be on the Icons list. I'd even doubt Magdalena.

And we know they love Grace Mahary. So do I but after almost three years into her career without a single ad campaign she's still on the Hot List. That's just a joke.

Also agree about Natasha being on the wrong list.

9. Clipse

Clipse Member

I agree, and I doubt Magdalena too. In fact I'd remove pretty much all of the next generation icons. As well as the models you mentioned, how are Agyness, Arizona, Cameron, Constance, Edita, Karmen and Toni icons? They don't have the resume either! And most of the others are added too early. Do Fei Fei, Lindsey, Edie, Julia and Saskia have 7 years at the top?

It's clearly arranged with the agencies for more promo. I wouldn't be surprised if they were paid to add models to certain lists.

10. Vitruvianshe

Vitruvianshe New Member

Where MDC fails is in the fact that a model's career is varied,nuanced,neither permanently stagnant nor forever propelling. Truly, the only models whose careers that were truly contemporaneous to one another and you could somewhat categorize were the supermodels. They were a group of women who existed in a vacuum, whose career's at that very specific moment, had an extremely specific tone and a very exact niche that it filled. Essentially it was, and is the only time that the term "model" was the career that everyone deemed it to be. It was an A-historical time and stood alone by itself. That isn't to say that there weren't models of prominence before and after.I would be a fool to deny the Beverly's, Gia's, Paulina's before and the Shalom's Gisele's and Sasha's after. It's just the world of modeling was polarized in those 10 years, give or take and capitalism made it what it was. So in my opinion you have the supers, and then there is everyone else. It is almost a disservice to try to categorize working models in the way models.com does. I would like it better if they just had "top models list" let's be real and not call it top 50, and that's it, nothing else.

11. congacon

congacon Active Member

jourdan dunn is the new super? i laugh all the way to the grocery store.

12. Vinciano

Vinciano Active Member

The money list and the sexy list are useless. Of the changes, glad to see Lindsey on the icon list. When you look at all the girls that debut around the same time, she's the most enduring.

Adriana is almost 20 years into her career, and clearly will be around 20 more. I'm not a fan, but she is one of the few models that has had a truly legendary career. She's clearly operating on a higher level than the rest of the New Supers. Carolyn Murphy has also had a legendary career. It's absurd she's on the icon list. Her career has been an absolute dream.

Natasha is a fashion darling for sure, but she's not a new super. She just doesn't have the name recognition outside of the industry. She's had one of the most amazing careers in the last 15 years....definitely iconic, but not supermodel. Same with Daria. Kate Upton was a flash in the pan, she should be removed from all lists.

13. MDNA

MDNA Well-Known Member

wow Lindsey Wixson is on the Icons list, I'm so happy for her, even though their ranking lists have already became a mess.

14. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

How on earth did Adriana Lima and Kate Upton made the cut as 'New Supers'. My God, compare their resumés against Natasha, Daria, Lara or even Cara. No contest! Adriana doesnt have enough hf work to warrant that position, and Kate Upton, well, I dont know where she's getting all her earnings from. I hate it when people call her a fashion model. She's not, she's a commercial model. Both need to be booted off that list. Also, it's a slap in the face for Laetitia to be bracketed along the likes of Joan and Karlie when she started her career way earlier, and with so much success. Her cover count alone, peaking in the 90's, speaks volume! And yet Tyra is a legend??? Bollocks!

15. katcty

katcty Member

I think that the list is pretty flawed considering most of the girls on the establishment list should either be new supers or even legends. I actually think the Establishment should be a list ranked below New Supers but Industry Icons should be ranked between Legend and New Super. I'll break down my list for you guys really quick adding and subtracting from each list:

Legends:
    Carla Bruni, Carmen Dell'Orefice, Christy Turlington, Cindy Crawford, Claudia Schiffer, Gisele Bundchen, Heidi Klum, Iman Abdulmajid, Jerry Hall, Kate Moss, Lauren Hutton, Linda Evangelista, Milla Jovovich, Naomi Campbell, Stephanie Seymour, Tyra Banks

I'm going to make the case for Tyra to stay because Tyra did reach the top of the high fashion and commercial modeling worlds.

Remove:
    Carmen Dell'Orefice- I don't think her career has been anything remarkable
    Heidi Klum- Glorified catalog model.
    Jerry Hall- She is more of a celebrity model than anything
    Mila Jovoich- More of an icon than a legend.

Add:
    Alek Wek- Changed fashion during her times. High profile work as a high fashion model and much press coverage.
    Amber Valletta- Undeniably a legend. I think MDC is the only place that doesn't have her ranked there.
    Angela Lindvall- Only model to top the MDC ranking twice. Multiple multi-year only girl campaign runs for brands.
    Carol Alt- One of the biggest girls from the 80s to 90s.
    Carmen Kass- Dominated the industry for 10 years.
    Carolyn Murphy- Supermodel working since the 90s and still working.
    Eva Herzigova- If Stephanie is a legend then Eva fits the same billing.
    Helena Christensen- Undisputed 90s supermodel
    Shalom Harlow- Same as Helena.

New Supers:
    My biggest problem with this list is the people missing.

Add:
    Alessanda Ambrosio
    Anja Rubik
    Isabeli Fontana
    Karolina Kurkova
    Raquel Zimmerman

16. SpeakThatJDunn

SpeakThatJDunn Well-Known Member

They removed Arizona Muse from the Industry Icons list? They put her on really fast, i believe they added her in 2014 - but to remove her is harsh :o

17. littlekiki

littlekiki Well-Known Member

Kiki, Estella, and Ally added to the Top 50 List, which I don't mind because they've been consistent in blue chip work.

Can someone please explain to me what Lily McMenamy is still doing on their list? She hasn't done anything in almost two years.

18. anlabe32

anlabe32 Well-Known Member

Why not add Adwoa, Alice Metza, Frederikke, Heather Kemesky, the Pavlova twins, Sora Choi, Yasmin and Roos Abels as well.. They dominate the major campaigns this season. Gucci, Prada, Vuitton, Givenchy, Marc Jacobs, Cavalli, Etro, Missoni, Armani and they've all been in the game for 2 seasons or more and they have proven themselves.

The top 50 currently contains around 70 models... they need to remove Amanda Wellsh, Aneta Pajak, Crista Cober (who?), Daphne Groeneveld, Georgia May Jagger, Hana Jirickova, Hedvig Palm, Holly May Saker, Karolin Wolter, Lily McMenamy, Madison Stubbington, Magdalena Jasek, Maja Salamon, Malaika Firth, Nastya Sten, Ola Rudnicka, Ophelie Guillermand, Othilia Simon, Sam Rollinson, Soo Joo Park, Ysaunny Brito and Yumi Lambert. Should any of these models have a career resurgence (which I doubt) they can add her back. And also they shouldn't add them to the money list which is what they do with everyone they remove from the top 50 (the money list is a joke).

And they need to re-introduce the ranking system. With Anna Ewers being number 1 and the race between Rianne, Mica, Lexi, Binx, Natalie, Julia and Maartje being really tight.

Only this way the top 50 will be as exciting as it once was without being just a please for agencies like it is right now.

I'm sorry i'm really bored and it's too hot outside

19. apple

apple Well-Known Member

I think models.com lists are becoming a joke, so many girls is the top 50 haven't done anything relevant in a long time and so many girls in the Hot List have much more work.

20. sixtdaily

sixtdaily Well-Known Member

So they removed Arizona and Sigrid from the Industry Icons list but keep Aymeline Valade and Crystal Renn in it? :lol: