MDC (Models.com) Rankings

Models.com Top 50

There will soon be another number 1 but who will it be?
this is for discussions about the ranking

and here's the article from theimagist:

WHO's On First?

Submitted by Wayne on Sun, 2007-11-18 02:57. Raquel Zimmerman: V: Inez and Vinoodh Sasha Pivovora: Vogue Italia: Meisel
There's an interesting showdown brewing over at MDC. General agreement among the clients and contacts feeding us info at the day job is Gemma Ward has pretty much transcended her No 1 slot on the Top 50 since she now behaves in that iconic way of working at her leisure. For that, you can't blame a girl who's been treading the mills from age 15 ! The big Q is who inherits her spot as No 1? My phones are lighting up with advocates for two frontrunners, IMG's artistic Russian Sasha Pivovora and the eternal Brazilian must-have, Raquel Zimmerman. Right now it is a deadlock so it would be fun to get some feedback from the commited modelwatchers out there. Here are the relative pros and cons of our two contenders.
ARGUMENTS FOR RAQUEL:
1. The girl, after working tirelessly for the last 7 years deserves No 1 by merit of her track record , her proven longevity and her body of work. In other words Raquel's 7 years beats Sasha's 3.
2.As a physical presence in both runway shows and in photo-shoots, Raquel looms as the better model in terms of emotional range, body type and editorial versatility.
3.Raquel connects to the entire idea of fashion, is a great backstage politician and by stint of her warm and charismatic personality has kept a wide range of clients , from Vogue to Fendi to Chloe to Valentino (SS08 if she's in the final edit) in the past 5 years
ARGUMENTS AGAINST RAQUEL:
1. No standout, long term make-up contract or multi-million dollar client commitment as seen in the likes of former No 1's like Daria, Liya, Karolina, Gisele or Angela. In other words, a great seasonal fashion model but not a contract model.
2.Obvious money bookings for department store catalogues has kept Raquel's booking record from being nearly as immaculate as Sasha's who has been nothing but exclusive, exclusive, exclusive, her ENTIRE career
3.At least the current No 1, Gemma has made an effort at being a public figure in her forays into Hollywood, her Vanity Fair booking with George Clooney and her general air of mystery. Raquel it is argued would be the most "anoymous" model out of a generation of painfully anoymous models to hit No 1.
ARGUMENTS FOR SASHA
1. Her run as THE face of Prada for two and a half years in a row is unprecedented . Given the power of Prada as a star making vehicle, this fact marks Sasha as a historic model on the level of the Angela Lindvalls and the Amber Valettas as long term faces of the house.
2.Sasha's booking record is crystal clear, ultra-blue chip and as immaculate as immaculate can be. There has never been a dip in the quality of her jobs, unlike the ambigious state of Raquel Zimmerman's career prior to the moment when she opened the FW 04 Prada show.
3. Sasha has a far better track history as a cover model, including four covers in Sept 07 (British, Japanese and Russian Vogue+Numero) alone, not to mention 3 recent covers of Italian Vogue and apparently, there are still even more cover level bookings in her cycle.
ARGUMENTS AGAINST SASHA
1.One brand alone should not make a model No 1 at MDC. Until Sasha goes into a post Prada-exclusive booking cycle her career potential cannot be fully evaluated. Will she be coveted by Chanel, Valentino, Dior, Vuitton etc after being so long associated only with Prada? The long term alignment for instance with Calvin has not seen Natalia Vodianova become red hot with subsequent campaign clients. (Not that, for the record, Natalia gives a damn).
2.As with Raquel, Sasha boasts no long term multi-million cosmetic/fragrance/VS contract on the order of a former No 1 like Gisele. If she gets this anytime soon however, Sasha would automatically graduate to the No 1 slot regardless of who might have preceded her in the ranking.
3.Simply put, haters complain that Sasha is too short and therefore not an ideal couture or editorial icon in the way that Raquel is. Sasha is accused of being a "cold and beautiful face and nothing else" This con I'd question though and Exhibit No 1 would be the iconic career of another 'Too Short" legend, Kate Moss.
Well these are the facts as they have been presented. What do you think kids?

There are so many things wrong with this list. Firstly, MDC, if you're gonna make a "Top 50 List"...actually put FIFTY models on there, and not 75 or whatever there really is.

Secondly, how is Tiiu Kuik at #14? Don't get me wrong, I love her, but she has done nothing significant in quite some time. I also really disagree with Hilary being at #6. She has good campaigns, yes, and her cosmetics contract, but the absense of shows and strong editorials should really move her back on the list quite a bit.

I can't believe Elise isn't higher, and same for Iekeliene, Alana, and Olga.

For the #1 spot, I think Raquel deserves it. I don't like her at all, but, I do realize that she's worked hard over the years to get to where she is now. Plus, she is at #2 now, while Sasha is at #4...so really it makes sense for Raquel to be in first place.

ARGUMENTS FOR RAQUEL:
2.As a physical presence in both runway shows and in photo-shoots, Raquel looms as the better model in terms of emotional range, body type and editorial versatility.
:blink::wacko:

About the list... I don't even know where to begin...

We have at least one other thread on this topic, though...

MDC'S Top 50 Models Accuracy

Perhaps they could be merged...?

I don't believe this list is quite correct. But in terms as in who sould be #1? Raquel without a doubt. I can totally see Raquel having longevity. Her face is elegance and can be loved commercially. Sasha is a love/hate relationship even for me, and I consider myself a fan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we've all accepted the MDC ranking as pretty much the most irrelevant ranking of models on the planet :lol:. But their agency list is on the money.

ETA: Oh, and Raquel's 'body type' (READ: pre pubescent boy body) is in no way, shape, or form superior to Sasha's).

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had to fight to the death for either of these models to get rank 1, (Which I won't do, last time it got messy :shifty:)
I'd no doubt go with raquel :wink:
A.) She's already rank 2 thats a lot more plausible of an upgrade than Pivavorova's being in 4th place.
B.)Raquel isn't standout? I'd liek to see a 5'10" Blonde girl "Blend in" I wouldn't be suprised to see her as a bond girl.

definately Raquel. Sasha is a good model, but Raquel can go effortlessly from VS to V. She also has managed to stay relevant for years in an industry that is always looking for the next best thing.

Is it really a tie between those two? How about Doutzen? She has those multimillion dollar contracts Sasha and Raquel both lack.

If MDC will change number one shortly, I think they should change the entire concept of the top 50. For instance, there are 74 girls on this top 50. And they should kick a few girls of...such as Valentina, Tiiu, Patricia, Mariya (all haven't worked a lot or even haven't worked at all these past few months) Others should move down, like Missy, Diana, Malgosia (!) both Julia's (!!!), Leah, Johanna, Mariacarla, etc etc...

Its kind of a joke that Malgosia is so high nevermind that she is on the list at all, I'm not sure if Missy, Leah, Patricia, Diana, Tiiu, Mariya or Valentina should be on the list. Mariacarla should remain since it seems she's making a comeback. Toni and Meghan shouldn't be that high yet, Toni especially. I think there are also a lot more deserving models who should be on that list like Erin Heatherton, Bette Franke, Masha Tylena, Edita V and certain others.

I agree and I love Julia..but Julia and Malgosia should be more behind they deserved it and maybe the othermodels didn't make what they made but if you look at now and the future..they should be behind

^^ I disagree about Erin and Edita. They're possibly more deserving than some girls currently on the list, but I don't think they should be on it either. They haven't done much blue chip (in the words of MDC) print work yet...

But where are Bette, Kim and Maryna? And Sheila? How can they not be among the 50 (ehm, 75) when girls like Cicely, Mariya Markina (has she done anything of significance the last couple of seasons?), and Jenny Sweeney are...

I also don't get why Angelika moved all the way up to #27 because of a Prada Cruise campaign. When, say, Denisa never made it higher than #34 despite an OG Vogue Italia cover, numerous Meisel collaborations, and lots of other high profile editorial work with I&V, Mert & Marcus, Sims, Sorrenti...

And they need to decide if the list should be about recent accomplishments (why else are Irina, Anabela etc in the top 20 already, they haven't exactly proven to have lasting power) OR general status in the industry (why else are semi-retired girls still holding Top 20 spots)...

Because with the inconsistent, biased mix of criteria they seem to be using right now, the list doesn't make any sense at all...

I think the first three should go somewhere else not sure of the icon section would be the best..but they are not in this rank at the moment

edit: except raquel

Raquel soon will be the one, she has more campaigns and she do more editorials than any girl on that ranking

And IMO Isabeli is going to the ICONS list

Raquel shouldn't be there, IMO.
#3 looks just right & they should be
head & head for #1 in a few seasons.
#1 right now, hmm. . idk.
I think Gemma could actually make the ICONS list
& i know that's bigger than the models' list, which seems weird
b/c you would think i would agree about her being #1.

:ermm:

Someone once told me that longevity doesn't always mean that you're automatically no.1..[in terms of raquel]

And look at Gemma,who ws pretty young and broke a lot of barriers being the 1st and young to do somethin',etc...

But IMO..
raquel deserves it =)
All that hardwork definitely pays off,
not only in cash, but in other rewards as well:D

ire/ire/ire makes a very valid point we should all consider. :wink:

A brand new rank! @_@

50. Maryia Markina
49. Patricia Schmid
48. Jenny Sweeny
47. Kinee
46. Du Juan
45. Flávia