Meet Bono, the Founder of EDUN

This is why I'm always a huge fan of Bono. He has a good heart. The whole fair trade idea is brilliant. He is helping the poor in South Africa to live better life by giving them opportunities to work. He is a great man!

The jacket on the first look.. is very nice, indeed... :woot:

I looks promising, he seems to have talent..

It's actually a lovely line - basic garments with a touch of romanticism (right down to the Rainer Maria Rilke poems stitched to the insides of things). Not surprising, really, considering the line was co-created by Rogan Gregory of Rogan.

You can slag Bono and his ego all you want, but one thing I like about him is that his self-promotion is never purely self-promotion - it's always intended to draw attention through him to something else he wants people to pay attention to. In this case, fair trade. As he has said himself, "Shopping is politics."

This is not remotely comparable to Sweetface and L.A.M.B. and other such celebrity "designer" lines. Those say "Love me for my celebrity and mimic my aesthetic choices", whereas Bono just wants to say "Love the world by making your own ethical aesthetic choices, and if I have to persuade you to do so by leveraging your love for me, so be it."

yep the title of this thread is very misleading actually...
bono isn't actually designing the line...
it's his wife and gregory rogan i think...

:ermm:...
maybe a mod could change the name to EDUN...founded by bono...??

The Baron said:
You can slag Bono and his ego all you want, but one thing I like about him is that his self-promotion is never purely self-promotion - it's always intended to draw attention through him to something else he wants people to pay attention to. In this case, fair trade. As he has said himself, "Shopping is politics."

I agree...From what little Ive seen at the stores (the Saks here carries a few pieces), it's not that great IMO, but, I have seen better here in this thread...However, there is a message to it and he is trying to make a (political) statement, which is certainly more than I could say for whatever nimrod celebrity out there who has their own clothing line, so for that alone, I'll give credit where credit is due..:flower:

Having seen the clothes a couple of times I actually really like the stuff, allthough the denim is a little to soft for me. I guess he didn't really design any of it , it was rogan and his wife.

I think Bono's just the marketing wing of this endeavor. Also, U2 are henceforth going to be using Edun for their tour souvenir wear.

The wife and Rogan make it, then Bono goes out into the world to make it popular.

yes Ali is a great and very talented woman. I read somewhere that she was a style icon in Ireland. Rogan designs most of the stuff from what I heard.

Erin said:
This is so depressing. Bono would seem to be the LAST person to do the designer thing.

I love U2, I love Bono, etc. etc... but Bono... NO NO NO.

Very well said.

Who's next?

I think that those saying that Bono is just another celebrity trying to add another slash to their already famous name are missing the point here. Bono is obviously not intending to be the next Giorgio Armani or Gianni Versace unlike the 'Diddy's' of the celeb world. His primary interest clearly appears to be in the humanitarian aspect of the venture, not on how he can profit from it.
I absolutely love that about Bono, that he uses his celebrity to the advantage of the disadvantaged. He must be the ONLY celebrity that I enjoy hearing so much of in the news simply because I know that it's not some silly, meaningless scandal that he's involved in but something substantial and contributive to man-kind.
I am definitely behind him 100% of the way with this and even better yet I actually quite like the clothes :flower:

Chelsea3c said:
I think that those saying that Bono is just another celebrity trying to add another slash to their already famous name are missing the point here. Bono is obviously not intending to be the next Giorgio Armani or Gianni Versace unlike the 'Diddy's' of the celeb world. His primary interest clearly appears to be in the humanitarian aspect of the venture, not on how he can profit from it.
I absolutely love that about Bono, that he uses his celebrity to the advantage of the disadvantaged. He must be the ONLY celebrity that I enjoy hearing so much of in the news simply because I know that it's not some silly, meaningless scandal that he's involved in but something substantial and contributive to man-kind.
I am definitely behind him 100% of the way with this and even better yet I actually quite like the clothes :flower:

good point:flower:

and the clothes are actually very nice

Chelsea3c said:

100% agreed.

I was leery initially only because I thought the line was going to be based more on design than on the origin of the clothing, but that's not the case.

I have seen some of the clothing, and dig. It's for a great cause, and Bono DOES carefully lend his name.

I am a big supporter of Bono, and continue to be.

softgrey said:
yep the title of this thread is very misleading actually...
bono isn't actually designing the line...
it's his wife and gregory rogan i think...

:ermm:...
maybe a mod could change the name to EDUN...founded by bono...??

any chance of this happening??...
pretty please?...:flower:

softgrey said:
pretty please?...:flower:

pretty pretty please? :flower::flower:

BTW for more info on Edun goto http://www.edun.ie/

Bono isnt designing this line, he is bankrolling it. Ali his wife is doing all the behind the scenes admin, finding factories and arranging the training etc. She has a long history with charities and human rights. She is one of the most stunningly beautiful woman I've ever met.

The unique thing about this venture is Edun will actually show any company how they have setup and what they have learned.

But folks pleease Bono aint the designer.....:rolleyes:

Do you guys know these designers personally? or do you just think you do because you are so obessed with them? :huh:

Do you guys know these designers personally? or do you just think you do because you are so obessed with them? :huh:

Okay, okay, so I changed the title. Is it suitable? Any suggestions? :flower:

Fintan, thanks for the added info. Ali is the big driving force in this line. I'm glad that's she's involved. I wonder how the line has been doing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nngocdiem
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->