Men In Skirts

Discussion in 'Trend Spotting' started by Lena, Nov 5, 2003.

View Users: View Users
  1. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

seems like the new N.Y. craze, here the trend in the most amusing NYT article :flower:

so any views ?

2. Acid

Acid yes

i dont believe it. and i wont till i see evidence :lol:

3. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

there were actually some pictures at NYT, i'll recearch & post later ;)

4. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

I love that :lol:

That just proves to me people have distorted images of what goes for what sex. Men,centuries ago wore skirts,tunics(everything percieved as for women nowadays),long before women.

5. LolitaLuxe

LolitaLuxe Vision of Paradise

I've seen quite a few men in kilts in the city. esp. the east village where punk style has reigned sinse the 70's and kilts are sold in the punk shops worn over bondage pants, but quite a few men are wearing them alone.I really like that . however-men in feminin frilly girly skirts i do not like....at all.

6. leyla m.

leyla m. New Member

i somehow never liked it.
    men in kilts? only if they are scottish if you ask me :innocent: and eevn that is just about acceptable in my books :unsure:
    i didnt even like it when GAULTIER first came out with his male skirt collection :yuk:
    dunno. the idea just freaks me :ninja:

7. LolitaLuxe

me too leyla :ninja: its hard to distinguish if its "fashion" or "fetish" in the case of the latter....leave it at home please :ninja:

bonage trousers with kilt is punk style that i see in nyc, thats it. the only men in skirts i see are drag queen in clubs :unsure:

...but the gaultier sarongs i remember! :doh:

8. Scott

I've always been attracted to skirts,myself. Not of the frilly kind of course. But there's something about the volume and layering that's intrigued me. I haven't worn one yet but I wouldn't ashamed,so long as I wear something longer underneath :blink: Plus,I think in some ways,its almost like women wearing "strong" sharply cut suits(very masculine),you get in touch with that other side of who you are if you don't mind the cliche. But its true. Also,with volume,it has alot to do with feelings in the way it moves and the romanticsm those things tend to posess. Which we all have in us.

And what's with that comment "only to seek attention"? Not I!

9. tealady

tealady New Member

No men in skirts! :blink: The whole metrosexual thing is too femme by far. :yuk: Manly men, please. B)

10. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

exactly

I leik skirts very much on men and women, i find them such an intresting garmet ,
    I ahve seen men in all kinds of skirts from hippy flowing indian ones to short striped mini skirts

WE NEED EQUALITY!

11. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

exactly

I leik skirts very much on men and women, i find them such an intresting garmet ,
    I ahve seen men in all kinds of skirts from hippy flowing indian ones to short striped mini skirts

WE NEED EQUALITY! [/b][/quote]
    ditto guys ;)
    i so much prefer skirts -sarongs to trousers, for both sexes,
    its far less aggressive

12. Kimkhuu

Kimkhuu New Member

Men in skirts NO WAY!

In magazines and during fashion shows, its "acceptable". But anyway, I wouldn't want my man to walk around town in a skirt, it's simply disgusting (well to me). I dont find it attractive at all. :wacko:

I dont really approve the whole metrosexual thing. I know it's a person's personnal choice, but that kind of man doesnt attract me at all, it's like they are sending mixed message and makes me doubt on their sexual orientation. Being metrosexual is OK, but still there are limits (ex: I find a lot of guys plucking their brows OVERPLUCK, wearing noticeable foundation, too feminine cloths (like shirts made out of lace...)). David Beckham really is the LIMIT.

13. HBoogie

HBoogie Procrastinator.

I don't see how skirts have anything to do with the metrosexual thing. Metrosexual doesn't necessarily mean femme, it's more to do with straight men appropriating typically/stereotypically gay grooming/fashion habits. I don't see how wearing skirts is a typically/stereotypically gay thing, unless somebody's a drag queen or trannie (even then, many crossdressers are straight men).

14. Alejandro

Alejandro & R.V.R

I want a skirt!!! :buzz:

15. Erin

Erin Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

To me - skirts are reserved for women. Call me old fashioned, but it would be such a turn off to date a man in a skirt...No no no.

16. ultramarine

ultramarine chaos reigns

Hum ... I think long skirts for men are perfectly OK and easy-to-pull .. about the short (kilt-like) ones ... I've seen guys wearing 'em over jeans or bondage pants and they look fierce, it doesn't take an ounce of masculinity of the look ...
    On a personal note ... on the beach, I wear my HUGE red towel as sarong .. It feels good!

17. Scott

Ok then. Then tell me why its so wrong for a men to wear a skirt? Is it because it is typically for women? If that's the case,we could argue till the end of time that women have been doing that same thing in regards to wearing typically masculine clothing. Why the limitations for men?? You can't tell me that this has anything to do with "men should remain men" because that would sure as hell be a contradiction. And why do some seem to assume that skirts are frilly and feminine? Cuts,shape and fabric always changes the quotations around anything we wear whether its intentionally for women or not. And what is so wrong with a bit of exuberance anyway?

18. Alejandro

Alejandro & R.V.R

That means that we should start being against women wearing pants and business suits... :p

19. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

indeed, sexism barriers in what shapes people should be free to wear are quite beyond the point, women that like wearing pants should understand that it's ok for men to wear skirts if they feel like.

Yohji had so many men's skirts for next summer , there was no 'femme' guy on sight at Yamamoto catwalk ;)

20. LolitaLuxe

exactly

WE NEED EQUALITY![/b][/quote]
    these men you speak of who are wearing 'short ,striped mini skirts'- what did they do with their legs-out of curiosity? shave them? or wear tights?? what type of shoes did they wear?

sarongs, kilts OK.....mini skirts???? i think that is too overtly feminin. shoot me :rolleyes: