Men's Footwear (Oct 2004 - Aug 2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny

Reaction score
Ok, I'd appreciate some help from you guys on the above topic.

I wear black formal shoes to work everyday, but have not worn shoes - as opposed to trainers or Converse style pumps (although usually by Junya Watanabe, ahem) - out of work for about 5 years! I just cannot seem to find a style that is suitably casual that I feel comfortable in. I usually wear jeans, although sometimes basic casual trousers in navy or grey.

So I'm looking to find out what other guys wear for casual footwear, and if you (guys and girls) have any advices as to what i should be looking at - styles, colours, brands etc - or any recommendations.

Appreciate your help! :flower:

how about Zintala or its machine-made line called Madeinmarche?

CDG used to collaborate with Paul Harnden and C diem.
so these labels might go with homme plus stuff in your wardrobe.

Zintala

Thanks v much runner. The boots are nice, but would be better in a shoe style if you know what I mean. I have to confess I've never even heard of Zintala - don't know if they're available in UK. Actually I like all of the styles you posted.

Try Oliver Sweeney for M&S Autograph - a lot of it's very classic but some pieces have quite unusual modern twists...

I don't know how formal/conservative your shoes are that you wear to work, but I wear a lot of dress shoes with jeans. I have a pair of pointy black leather shoes from D&G on today with ripped up jeans and a tuxedo jacket. I love my beat up snakeskin shoes from Helmut Lang. On the other hand, I wear a pair of red Prada shoes from F/W 02 with my dress pants to keep from looking too dressed up.
You didn't seem to thrilled on the idea of boots, but a pair of beatle boots would be a nice addition. I would LOVE to have Faust's An Demulemeester (can never spell her name right...) boots. I'd wear those with everything!!! Dries also makes some great shoes to wear with jeans and less formal pants. I'm still kicking myself for not buying a pair of tooled leather wingtips a few years ago. I think (judging from your purchases and the what are you wearing thread) you could get a pair in an off the wall colour like green, blue or even orange and rock them with everything regardless of matching. I saw some cool Paul Smith penny loafers in kelly green that made me very happy, but I'd look ridiculous in penny loafers. I love Miu Miu shoes for men, but they arent' very easy to come by over here.
Happy shopping! Or maybe an upcoming bday gift from your lovely wife.....

Originally posted by purechris@Oct 22 2004, 09:18 AM
I don't know how formal/conservative your shoes are that you wear to work, but I wear a lot of dress shoes with jeans. I have a pair of pointy black leather shoes from D&G on today with ripped up jeans and a tuxedo jacket. I love my beat up snakeskin shoes from Helmut Lang. On the other hand, I wear a pair of red Prada shoes from F/W 02 with my dress pants to keep from looking too dressed up.
You didn't seem to thrilled on the idea of boots, but a pair of beatle boots would be a nice addition. I would LOVE to have Faust's An Demulemeester (can never spell her name right...) boots. I'd wear those with everything!!! Dries also makes some great shoes to wear with jeans and less formal pants. I'm still kicking myself for not buying a pair of tooled leather wingtips a few years ago. I think (judging from your purchases and the what are you wearing thread) you could get a pair in an off the wall colour like green, blue or even orange and rock them with everything regardless of matching. I saw some cool Paul Smith penny loafers in kelly green that made me very happy, but I'd look ridiculous in penny loafers. I love Miu Miu shoes for men, but they arent' very easy to come by over here.
Happy shopping! Or maybe an upcoming bday gift from your lovely wife.....
[snapback]404228[/snapback]​

Thanks for the compliment Chris.

Johnny, I'm also a little puzzled about your ambievalence of wearing boots with jeans (moreover you living in Scottish climate). In any case I would look for boots/ankle boots/shoes that are elegent, yet on a rugged side. For me that rules out pointy toes automatically. I prefer either round toes or round/squarish (that's the best I think) toes, in leather that is not shiny. I love Ann Dem's footwear (as you might've noticed), but it is expensive (but I know you respect quality, and quality it is). I also like footwear that Dirk Bikkimbergs does (he started out as a shoe designer), not the football-like footwear that you see in ads, but his boots. Here is a link to the ones on Yoox ($268).

Boots

Actually, Yoox has a decent selection of boots now that I'm looking at it. Paciotti is always good quality, although the designs are hit/miss. Capre Diem boots are wonderful but are out of the question for me pricewise ($1000+).

Let me know what your thoughts are. I think ankle boots might be a nice compromise for you, as they are lower than boots but higher than shoes (I personally like the fact that when I'm sitting down my socks are not showing between the leather of the boot and the jean - but that's just me).

Thanks purechris and faust. Some good advice. No joy from my wife on the shoe front, but she already got me an undercover t-shirt (black with purple cats on it!), some Soda smelly a and plain white CDG Shirt tee (which I wear with everything) yesterday from Dover Street Market. I also got her to buy me this sweater -

[attachmentid=29682]

Anyway, I'm digressing. Here's what I think about the shoe thing.

I wear prada shoes to work, round toe-d oxfords. Don't like pointy shoes at all and don't feel comfortable in them. Faust I think you are right about the ankle-boot thing actually - I'm sure I mentioned this before but I had a pair of Bikkembers ankle boots when I was at Uni - loved them. I will check Yoox. I actually quite like Paul Smith brogues, but i don't really know where that fits in with the rest of my wardrobe! :lol: I can't buy £500 shoes that I can't wear to work, do c diem is out! Dries shoes are very hard to come by, as are Ann D. I will bear all of your comments in mind and have another look.

Originally posted by Johnny@Oct 22 2004, 10:20 AM
Dries shoes are very hard to come by, as are Ann D. I will bear all of your comments in mind and have another look.
[snapback]404259[/snapback]​

not if you go on a getaway to Antwerp :wink:
Oh, how I wish that Antwerp was a short budget-airline flight away from me...

Originally posted by faust@Oct 22 2004, 10:25 AM
not if you go on a getaway to Antwerp :wink:
Oh, how I wish that Antwerp was a short budget-airline flight away from me...
[snapback]404260[/snapback]​

:lol: Actually it's not the easy to get to from where we are in Scotland - you have to drive about 4 hours to get to the airport, then travel from Charloi near Brussels to antwerp? Difficult on a weekend, unless you make it a long one. Probably still a bit easier (and cheaper) than it is for you though!

Originally posted by Johnny@Oct 22 2004, 10:31 AM
:lol: Actually it's not the easy to get to from where we are in Scotland - you have to drive about 4 hours to get to the airport, then travel from Charloi near Brussels to antwerp? Difficult on a weekend, unless you make it a long one. Probably still a bit easier (and cheaper) than it is for you though!
[snapback]404264[/snapback]​

Yea, but I always "swing by" when I'm in Paris (not that it happens often).

Originally posted by Johnny@Oct 22 2004, 06:31 AM
Thanks v much runner. The boots are nice, but would be better in a shoe style if you know what I mean. I have to confess I've never even heard of Zintala - don't know if they're available in UK. Actually I like all of the styles you posted.
[snapback]404182[/snapback]​
you're welcome, and I don't know their points of sale in UK, sorry.

[email protected]

I don't have the exact idea of what you really want after all.
but these labels can be brought into question, at least budget-wise.

"collection Privee?"

Mihara

mihara3.jpg

Sutor Mantellassi

mantellassi2.jpg

I came to like Purveyor of Excellence recently.
I think it's cool.

how about blundstones...they're workboots from australia...very reasonable...cool...and will last for years....great for 'busting around'...as my ex used to say...we had matching pairs...in black of course.. :P

http://store.yahoo.com/blundstoneboots/blun528nonwe.html
http://store.yahoo.com/blundstoneboots/blundresridt.html
he also wore those cdg leather sneakers you like...
and he had a pr of jil sander beatle style boots with a rubber sole which worked in or out of the office...

we also had matching puma 'roma' sneakers...
http://store.puma.com/pumaUSStore/search.asp?keyword=roma

this company is also amazing...pronounced sidewalk...designed by a former architect...the sole is created to recreate the feeling of walking on sand...we also had matching sandals from here...
:blush:

http://www.cydwoq.com/

Originally posted by runner@Oct 22 2004, 12:01 PM
you're welcome, and I don't know their points of sale in UK, sorry.

[email protected]
I don't have the exact idea of what you really want after all.
but these labels can be brought into question, at least budget-wise.

"collection Privee?"
[snapback]404285[/snapback]​

i like these runner - they might do the job.

my preference in shoes is a pair of extremely battered brown brogues - v. high quality heavy ones for an english look. however this look has been rather adopted by all the britsh neds who want to do the whole Paul Smith look. Its not fair. Neds spoil everything. I hate them. That said, if you don't look like a ned in any other respect, the shoes aren't going to on their own...

Originally posted by softgrey@Nov 1 2004, 06:10 AM
how about blundstones...they're workboots from australia...very reasonable...cool...and will last for years....great for 'busting around'...as my ex used to say...we had matching pairs...in black of course.. :P

http://store.yahoo.com/blundstoneboots/blun528nonwe.html
http://store.yahoo.com/blundstoneboots/blundresridt.html
he also wore those cdg leather sneakers you like...
and he had a pr of jil sander beatle style boots with a rubber sole which worked in or out of the office...

we also had matching puma 'roma' sneakers...
http://store.puma.com/pumaUSStore/search.asp?keyword=roma

this company is also amazing...pronounced sidewalk...designed by a former architect...the sole is created to recreate the feeling of walking on sand...we also had matching sandals from here...
:blush:

http://www.cydwoq.com/
[snapback]413448[/snapback]​

Thanks you softie. Blundstone - that's a blast from the past alright! I used to wear them at university, but haven't seen them for years in the UK. I like them. I think I'm going to go for the leather sneakers though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->