MET Costume Institute Exhibition 2017 : Rei Kawakubo/Comme des Garçons

miguelalmeida

Reaction score
On Friday morning, the Metropolitan Museum of Art announced the new theme for its 2017 Costume Institute exhibition and gala: "Rei Kawakubo/Comme des Garçons." Opening on May 4, the show will be the first monograph show at the museum to focus on a living designer since its Yves Saint Laurent exhibit in 1983.

"Rei Kawakubo is one of the most important and influential designers of the past forty years," said the Costume Institute's curator in charge, Andrew Bolton. "By inviting us to rethink fashion as a site of constant creation, recreation, and hybridity, she has defined the aesthetics of our time."

The exhibit will feature about 120 Comme des Garçons womenswear designs by Kawakubo, dating back to the label's first runway collection in 1981, all the way to her most recent shows. The pieces will be arranged by contrasting themes (East/West, male/female, past/present), which touch upon Kawakubo's fascination with in-betweenness. The mannequins featuring Kawakubo's designs will also be more accessible than ever, as they will be placed at eye-level without any glass or other physical barriers between them and the viewer.

The Costume Institute Benefit will take place, as is tradition, on May 1, the first Monday of the month. The party will be cochaired by Katy Perry, Pharrell Williams, and Anna Wintour, with Kawakubo serving as honorary chair, and the exhibit will be sponsored by Apple, Conde Nast, Farfetch, H&M, and Maison Valentino.

vogue.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Only 10% of the people will follow the theme anyway. lol.

Yes! Rei completely deserves it and I am glad that she is getting an enormous platform to share her history with the world, no matter how commercial and full of sh*t we think the opening night is.

While we are at it - I totally expected Katy Perry to co-chair. I predict she will also sing at Hillary's inauguration party and get at least two Vogue covers in the next four years.

So no men's looks? How odd. I'm still a bit surprised that she agreed to this, but she truly deserves it (even though her views on fekinism leaves me cold). Looking forward to the installation.

Also, I'm positive she selected the co-chairs.....

regardless of the disaster waiting to happen in the red carpet, I'm looking forward to go see the actual exhibition :heart:.. don't think I've been to the MET since Jeff Koons on the roof. :ninja:

Excited about this exhibition! Can't wait to go multiple times. Very interested in the idea of the mannequins being at eye level and not behind glass, seems like Rei's merchandising skills at play or when she would pull in rows of a runway show closer so the audience is super close to the garments.

Only 10% of the people will follow the theme anyway. lol.

To be fair, there wasn't any theme for the Chanel exhibit.

Maybe the easiest way to pay homage to her for designers will be to work with Polka Dots.

It's kinda weird that the MET didn't organized something for ODLR or Ralph Lauren...

I'm happy for Rei and it will be a huge exposure for CDG. For a brand that doesn't advertise, this is the best Campaign EVER!

i'm upset i most likely wont be able to see the exhibition, but i'm also rolling my eyes @ katy perry (of all people...) being the co-chair for this. i know they rarely choose people that have anything to do with the 'theme', but i can't think of anything more distant from the CDG aesthetic than... katy perry??

^^
I kinda like the idea of Katy Perry. Rei never excluded anyone to wear her brand or embrace her work. The philosophy of the house from the very beginning has always been very inclusive.

People have preconceived ideas of what CDG should be or should represent so, i like the idea of having such a person like K.P. attached to the project.

It's a brand that appeal to both worlds: the intellectuals & the pops

Am I missing something?! We're only 2 days away from the MET Gala!! Typically this thread would be full of speculation of who'll be wearing what and lists of confirmed attendees, etc etc.

Where is everybody!?

I think people need to realise that the theme is for the exhibition not the guests. It's not a requirement to dress up.

happycanadian, The Hollywood Reporter posted an article and listed some guests:

Along with a who's who of fashion designers, Brie Larson, Gwyneth Paltrow, Frances Bean Cobain, Courtney Love, Bella and Gigi Hadid, Chrissy Teigen, Dakota Johnson, Hailee Steinfeld, Lorde, Hailey Baldwin, Paris Jackson, Ruth Negga, Sarah Paulson, Zendaya, Zoe Kravitz and more are expected to attend the event, which is being sponsored by Conde Nast, Apple, Farfetch.com, H&M and Maison Valentino.

The dress code:

Attendees are encouraged to dress in the spirit of the "avant-garde," according to a Met spokeswoman. It's going to be sight to see how stars interpret the theme when they ascend the Met's steps. While some stars (like co-chairs Perry and Pharrell) will wear Comme des Garcons, others will be dressed by the designers who are taking them. So far, we know Zendaya will wear Dolce & Gabbana and Celine Dion will be in Versace — both will be styled by Law Roach. Mandy Moore will wear Michael Kors' "nod to Kawakubo," says stylist Erica Cloud.

"I think that Comme has such a broad influence on fashion that the dresses will be less out there than other times," adds stylist Kate Young, who works with Michelle Williams and Selena Gomez, of what we might see on the carpet.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/met-gala-2017-what-know-998483

Surprised to see Gwyneth listed after the comments she made a few years ago. Maybe it's just a rumour.

I expect to see a lot of "trying to do deconstruction" but also a lot of Polka Dots.
I've huge expectations for anyone who will be dressed in Marc Jacobs. I hope that Marc himself will deliver.

This is maybe the RedCarpet i've been the most excited about in a long time...

someone told me Rei actually designed the exhibit...
:cool:

Am I missing something?! We're only 2 days away from the MET Gala!! Typically this thread would be full of speculation of who'll be wearing what and lists of confirmed attendees, etc etc.

Where is everybody!?

Seems like members in here have finally learnt something after all these years: Getting your hopes so high about a gala attended mainly by vapid teenyboppers and actresses is setting yourself for quite a dissapointment.

Also if my memory serves me right this thread should be about the pieces that are to be displayed and the catalogue, the one about the red carpet (that includes all the info you mentioned) is usually opened that very day...

someone told me Rei actually designed the exhibit...
:cool:

Dare to elaborate? Vogue has only revealed said that Rei wanted the exhibit to focus mainly on her last few collections (starting from S/S 2014) and that she gave her permission for the pieces to be illuminated in an uncoventional way-that would otherwise be considered as too much of a strain for the textiles. Other than that her involvement hasn't been undisclosed.

^^^ That would be insanely foolish if the show was mainly focused on her last few years worth of work. These last few years have not been Comme's strongest by far; the former years are just so much more visionary and powerful, to this day.

Was "surprised" at first to see Gwyneth on the guest list after her saying she would never go back, but apparently she will be launching a Goop magazine with Condé so she has some schmoozing to do.
hahahaha well they say money talks. Ugh she's unbearable. I am very excited for this exhibit, though. I can't wait for the crowds to die down so I can spend hours in there without breathing in somebody else's perfume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Realktz
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"