Metallic Paint on T-Shirt

Street_a_Licious

Reaction score
I want to custom design a black tee with silver paint. Problem is, i don't know if it is possible via silk screening or if I can also just use a regular silver paint normally used for other crafts. I also want to achieve a "splattery" effect, so silk screening might not be the only solution (i know that usually silk screening is best for more "refined" designs.)

TIA! :flower:

Hi streetalicious, There are metallic powders you can mix with screen printing ink/textile paint
One brand is called Jacquard

You can also create your own stencil and use silver fabric paint (or silver paint mixed with textile medium) and dab the paint over the stencil
Same idea...

The silk screen process will let you do a more detailed design, esp one with fine lines or dots
I'm not sure what you mean by splatter effect

you know... when there'san effect where it looks like someone dropped some paint on the tee.

i think you have to get the silver paint watery enough to be able to do that nicely (i did that with bleach once--it works)
you could instead make a silk screen of that spatter... and then you can print it onto your shirt--it would be easier and you could be more exact about your design, like you could actually design the spatter (get rid of some dots, etc.)

do you know what i mean? :P

haha, well I was just thinking the paint will be too thick and might ruin your shirt
You could do a test anyway
Just water it down

If you do silkscreen
I'm assuming you will be doing photo emulsion ??

if you dont actually want to do it yourself, ad you want an actual silver foil...
you can go to www.neighborhoodies.com or www.spreadshirt.com
however, i do not know either of them ship internationally

i love this website. im thinking of making a bunch of custom tees and hoodies as holiday gifts :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
if all you want is silver spatter on a black tee, just buy some silver fabric paint, put it in a cup or something, dip in a brush until it's really saturated, hold it over the tee and flick your wrist to make the spatters. maybe test it first to be sure that your paint isn't too thick... if so, as gius said, just add a little water. done and done :smile:

oh and nowadays you can get stainless steel in an acrylic :smile:

it's stainless steel... u know, like the silver stuff pots and pans and scissors and stuff are made of
a metal
the real thing, you can get it in a paint

hmmm never mind :lol:

i'd love to do that and walk through airport security :lol:

especially if the person who checks me is cute :brows:

:lol:

its not that hard, i have an artist friend of mine that does screen printing (not cute stuff imo) but he uses metallic silver paints very often, and he makes it look easy to do.

now don't ask me cause i dont know crap about it, i'd just get silver spray paint and go nuts.

lol, my sentiments exactly. honestly, that was what i planned to begin with. Now, this whole thing got me wondering, hahaha.

Street I hope you post the results, I'd love to see it :flower:

you can mix textile medium into any acrylic paint and use that on fabric, it will be washable. if you want a splatter effect, do some tests on cardboard first, using a few different implements to fling or drop paint to get the kind of design you want... you could also consider splattering around the edge if you want a solid area, so the paint wont be too thick in any one plaace. be sure to put the t-shirt over a cardboard frame so that the fabric lays flat, I would also use a spray fixative on the cardboard and smooth the fabric down so that it isnt wrinkled and doesnt move during the process. then splatter away, allow to dry, take off the frame and wear.

good luck!

How do I create something like this??
(the girl with the paint splatter tee)
What paint should I use?

MSM.March.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yams Yamborghini
Back