Michael Kors Cruise 2011

My initial thought was, "where are these people cruising to... Patagonia?" I had to look at the pictures a couple of times to adjust for the schizo-ness, and after doing so I gave it a thumbs up. All in all it is a good set of clothes but it is not a collection - yeah I can see a common theme in some of the stuff, but there are also too many random looks, as if they were rejected from previous collections and Kors decided to tack them on here. Regardless, I like what I am seeing - although I wish it was more colorful; but it meets the brief for a cruise collection and caters to MK's market.

The model casting has me scratching my head, and I am bringing it up here because I do think it affects the the quality of the collection from a presentation standpoint. For many of the looks the model is just fine, but some of the looks are way too mature and the models look like seven year olds playing dress up or even worse, kids from that polygamist cult in Texas. I don't understand why Michael Kors doesn't get this because his last cruise collection was even worse in this respect, however his SS and FW runway castings are among the best. I respect Michael Kors in many ways, but I do think that he is a follower and more than any other designer, I would like to see him be leading edge and step up and cast an "older" model rather than limiting himself to the current crop of in demand models. In fact he could have cast the model who has done his campaigns in recent seasons to wear some of these looks, not that I consider her that much older. It would be great to see models like Magali Amadei, Pat Cleveland or heaven help us, Carmen Dell'Orefice with (not instead of) the current group.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so perplexed. It looks like he took left over fall/winter pieces and tacked them on to a Resort line. I feel if the fur and heavy sweater looks were in a different collection, than the ones that are actually for Resort, it would be a pretty decent COMMERCIAL line.

I think everybodys not seeing the big picture here.

Yes, he did mix resort stuff with some very winter pieces, which is smart because don't forget most resort collections are usually debuted in the cold cold winter times, so in order for his label to get more business he established a mix of winter pieces and also resort pieces to create a collection that benefits the season it's actually sold in. And let's be honest there are not a lot of winter pieces in this collection, I think it will be a very easy collection to sell.

^But didn't (shouldn't) he cover that base in his runway show in February; in fact the standout pieces from that particular collection were more resort than urban, business, evening or red carpet. The wintry pieces from Cruise 2011 look like more down to earth versions of what he sent down the runway in February. Look, I am not mad at him over it, it is just an observation that this collection has a few different themes going on. If in the end he sells more stuff, then more power to him.

^But didn't (shouldn't) he cover that base in his runway show in February; in fact the standout pieces from that particular collection were more resort than urban, business, evening or red carpet. The wintry pieces from Cruise 2011 look like more down to earth versions of what he sent down the runway in February. Look, I am not mad at him over it, it is just an observation that this collection has a few different themes going on. If in the end he sells more stuff, then more power to him.

Well the point of any Pre-fall or Resort collection is meant to be down to earth and more wearable than the RTW collections (Unless you're Alexander McQueen, Giles, etc). So I think it's logical he established those pieces in the resort collection than in the Fall show back in February, but i'm happy you're not mad at him.

On another subject, i'm surprised he doesn't consider doing a runway presentations for his resort collections (regardless if Carmen and Noah/Abbey Lee and Simon don't appear in the show) It feels like he's capable of doing it, if there's anything I know about Michael Kors is that he sure does love the attention of Press and Media.

Yikes. I'm not the one to hate on Kors for no reason, but is seriously so ugly. When I think of Kors I think chic, simple, classic, elegant. I can't find any of that here.

Note to Michael Kors, just because it's a Cruise collection doesn't mean it has to be ugly.

Honestly...this is....

This collection was just like umm ok. So weird. There isn't a thing I'm crazy about.

Boring as it is. The only one I liked is the degradé dress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->