Missy Elliott Designs

Lena

etre soi-meme
Reaction score
:woot: MissyE is jumping on the trend with an Adidas contract. I have a soft spot for her music & brave personal style, so i dont really mind her cashing in the Adidas euros :P

Tuesday April 13, 2004
Missy Elliott Teams Up With Adidas

By Melanie Kletter

NEW YORK — Hip-hop artist Missy “Misdemeanor” Elliott, who often dresses in Adidas for her videos and award shows, is taking her relationship with the German athletic giant to the next level. The firm is set to announce a deal today with Elliott for a signature fashion collection, which will debut in stores this September.

The three-time Grammy winner is slated for an appearance at the Adidas Original store in SoHo to give details of the new collection, which includes a range of sport-inspired women’s apparel, accessories and footwear, WWD has learned. Adidas executives declined to divulge specifics except to say the line blends “Adidas’ street history and sporting styles with Missy Elliott’s personality, flare and original style.”

Elliott joins a string of female musicians who have launched their own fashion collections in recent years, including Eve, Gwen Stefani, Jennifer Lopez and Thalia, and the pack is growing fast. Beyoncé is at work on a signature line, and Ashanti is also rumored to be launching her own collection. At the same time, as the line between sports and entertainment continues to blur, athletic companies are reaching out to musicians to connect with the 18-to-30-year old audience. Reebok has been among the most active in this area, and now has licensing deals with musicians including Pharrell Williams, G-Unit and Jay-Z.

Elliott’s line will fall under the Adidas Originals banner, which is the German company’s sport and street fusion brand. A prolific musician who is known to be a flashy dresser and sometimes outlandish performer, Elliott has long been a fan of Adidas. She is also no stranger to the fashion world, having appeared in marketing campaigns for brands such as Garrard, Sprite and Reebok, as well as the Gap campaign last spring with Madonna. She is currently featured in ads for MAC Cosmetics.

extracts from a wwd article :flower:

I, too, have a soft-spot for Missy E. :P I have a gut feeling hers will be different from the rest (she is a smart lady and Adidas will be supervising, I'm sure), though if it is quite the opposite I'd ignore. :sick:

Ashanti? :shock: :doh:

Thanks Lena! :flower:

I agree. I don't expect it to be some sh*tty j.lo esque line. I am actually excited about it (but not about the rest!).

Her style is able to be liked :flower: They'll be nice most likely B)

thx for posting the article lena... :flower:

Well,I suppose if everybloody celeb is going to design something of a line,why not Missy?

Originally posted by Scott@Apr 13th, 2004 - 2:53 pm
Well,I suppose if everybloody celeb is going to design something of a line,why not Missy?
I am personally waiting for the signature bra line by Janet Jackson (I think they'll save 50% on the cost of fabric)!

Missy designing eh?! Good for her. I love everyone of her music videos, she is so original so I look forward to seeing what she comes up with. :heart:

I think Missy is one of the few rapper turned fashion designers that will be worth taking a second look at...She has had HUGE ties with Adidas for many years, so good for her! :flower:

the line is named Respect M.E. (i find this very clever), here some photos from Missy's adidas project

041404_21.jpg

041404_22.jpg

Missy Elliott: Respect From Adidas

By Melanie Kletter

NEW YORK — Fresh from her concert Monday night at Madison Square Garden, Missy Elliott braved the rain Tuesday to rap about Respect M.E., her new fashion line produced with Adidas.

...., the hip-hop songstress said people have often told her she should have a deal with the company since she constantly wears the brand.

“I feel really honored and excited to be doing this,” said Elliott, who was dressed head-to-toe in Adidas, apart from a pink Dodgers baseball hat. “I have been a fan of Adidas since Run-DMC.”

Adidas has an ambitious agenda for Respect M.E. (Missy’s initials, of course), which has three separate divisions and is projected to be a multimillion-dollar line within its first season.

The initial offerings include items such as sneakers, T-shirts, track jackets and pants, hooded sweatshirts and accessories, as well as a selection of high-end leather jackets and even some boots. Although the line is primarily made for women, some items are designed to be unisex, said Michalsky, who also noted that some limited-edition items will be sold only for charity. The styling includes camouflage prints in bright colors, as well as cropped jackets and tank tops and retro-looking sneakers with Velcro straps. The bulk of the collection will retail for between $70 and $120, but will go as high as $700.

Elliott, who has lost about 75 pounds in recent months, told the packed house that sizes for the line will go from XS up to XXL to accommodate larger-size women. Michalsky said Elliot is “deeply involved” in the collection’s design direction and gave direct input on color ways and styling, as did her stylist, June Ambrose.

Michalsky declined to reveal details of the financial arrangements between Adidas and Elliott. However, he quipped: “She doesn’t have to take the bus anymore.”

The collection will launch in 500 stores in the U.S. in September and next year will roll out to another 500. It will target department stores as well as specialty chains and urban retailers. The brand will roll out internationally starting in November. A marketing campaign featuring print advertisements and point-of-sale materials is also planned.

Female artists have not collaborated much with athletic brands, apart from occasionally appearing in advertisements.

sounds quite cool, love her insisting for the xxl sizes :heart:

article and photos from wwd :flower:

Thanks Lena. :flower: I like the name and find it real clever, too. I also love the fact she wants to accomodate larger-sized women. :flower:

I think it may be okay because it's doubtful Adidas will let her put "Missy" on everything. We'll see...

As long as they don't start selling garbage bags with Adidas label on it, i'm cool with the idea... We'll see. B)

those are great designs unfortunately i dont think they are designs coz we've seen them before!

oh and she's accomodating for larger sizes as well...i love the missy "misdameanor on the floor" elliott!!

there couldnt have been a better collaboration than ADIDAS/MISSY!!!
she is an excellent representant and she would be a brilliant designer. the larger size idea is also smartness that noone has thought of before! :heart: :woot: :flower:

ALL these celcbirties in the music industry are doing the same thing! 50 cent and Jay-Z with Reebok, Hilary Duff has her own line now, Gwen Stefani with her L.A.M.B (which i thought was L.A.M.E) and now Missy with Adidas!
Is this market such lucrative that anyone can come in and have a try?

it certainly shows that music stars can influence shopping attitude, i also think MissyE is quite on a different level form the rest pennyfrei :wink:

main problem with Gwen's (and other's) line is that those people dont even wear their 'designs' themselves.. they should try and push their 'design' work harder e.g. wearing them on star events etc :ninja:

Originally posted by Lena@Apr 15th, 2004 - 3:11 am
it certainly shows that music stars can influence shopping attitude, i also think MissyE is quite on a different level form the rest pennyfrei :wink:

main problem with Gwen's (and other's) line is that those people dont even wear their 'designs' themselves.. they should try and push their 'design' work harder e.g. wearing them on star events etc :ninja:
The smartest thing she did was the plus size thing meanwhile i think it wont be hard for her to wear her stuff i mean its adidas!!

gwen stefani wears her designs all the time.

the problem is that some of what she's seen in was either early samples that they decided not to produce, or made especially for her. but she can still be seen in the items that are available, occasionally.

she's worn numerous l.a.m.b items, or what have you to events...(i.e. the grammys...) ... but unlike a lot of the 'celebrity-turned designers', she's been designing her own clothing since she was young, so it only seemed a bit natural for her to do a line. however, i don't think it's as great as it COULD have been. i do love the tees though + the hoodie i have. (and yes, i'm a no doubt fan...+ i just adore the fact that nd lyrics are infused into the clothing.) but, i've been making my own clothing for some years now + it doesn't mean i'll have a clothing line out. haha it's all about the big name.

aw, back on topic......i love those shoes/sneakers/boots in the first pic posted. i wonder if those will be available. i'm interested in seeing her line. i do like the name, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->