Missy's New Line Debuts In V Magazine

stylegurrl

Reaction score
Fashion Week Daily Click on link to see photos

Is It Worth It? Can You Work It?
Missy's new signature Adidas line debuts today in V

NEW YORK: Wednesday, May 12, 2004

On April 14, The Daily was the first to tell you that Missy “Misdemeanor” Elliott was officially collaborating with Adidas to create a signature line of clothing called RESPECT M.E. (the “M.E.” is an abbreviation of her name). Now check out Missy in her signature wares, as part of V Magazine’s No. 29 summer 2004 issue, out today on newsstands. Titled “No Guts, No Glory,” the issue features Laila Ali —Muhammad’s daughter—and Missy Elliott.

Cover model: A dual cover, featuring boxer Laila Ali and Missy Elliott

Shoot location: Milk Studios

Photographer: David Sims

Fashion director: Andrew Richardson for Elliott’s cover, Karl Templer for Ali’s cover

Clothes: Elliott wears an Adidas jacket and a hat from her Adidas Originals RESPECT M.E. line with her own jewelry. Ali sports Adidas clothing, a necklace from the Hemingway African Gallery and bracelet from Africa Kaba.

Interview Dish:
Missy on white people dressing like black people: “I don’t have a problem with white people dressing like black people either. It’s not about a color; it’s about how you rock your clothes. I’ve seen Asian people rock their clothes better than most nationalities.”

Ali on Tonya Harding as a boxer: “I don’t really have any respect for her as a boxer. I didn’t really have any respect for her as a person. But I can’t say she’s not serious. Tonya Harding has a little fight in her, you could see that in earlier incidents, so maybe she enjoys it. Luckily, she doesn’t have to fight me.”

thanks for the link and the article stylegurrl :flower:
i like both the cover and the other photos.

Missy has lost some serious weight :heart:

I Love Missy. I like what Laila Ali is wearing, but id probably only wear it at home or to the gym:heart:

Do you reakon eventually singers and actors will take over fashion designers with their stupid crappy labels.. i havent heard much on J.Lo's label.. but i keep seeing actors wear Sean John T's in movies!!! These singers n such always say "it's something i've always wanted to do" yeh.. to make more money !! Why can't they only be good at one thing only!!! Also.. do these signers actually DESIGN the clothes or get other fashion designers to sketch everything..

most designers dont 'design' their lines either they work with design teams

'celebrity/singers' lines are not about design, they are simple lifestyle / activewear lines with very basic, mainly mainstream sportswear items

this is such a strange way to look at it, but i find it kind of intersesting that all of these celebrities who have their own lines so rarely wear them...it's like it's simply a business venture for them...when it comes time to make that public appearance, it's always back to high fashion

Compared with the other celeb labels I see nothing particularly special about this either.

Originally posted by versace@May 14th, 2004 - 6:38 am
Do you reakon eventually singers and actors will take over fashion designers with their stupid crappy labels.. i havent heard much on J.Lo's label.. but i keep seeing actors wear Sean John T's in movies!!! These singers n such always say "it's something i've always wanted to do" yeh.. to make more money !! Why can't they only be good at one thing only!!! Also.. do these signers actually DESIGN the clothes or get other fashion designers to sketch everything..
Like other designers who arent singers or actors do it for fun lol its all about the money :wink:

Originally posted by Lena@May 14th, 2004 - 6:47 am
most designers dont 'design' their lines either they work with design teams

'celebrity/singers' lines are not about design, they are simple lifestyle / activewear lines with very basic, mainly mainstream sportswear items
Here is a recent news item from Vogue about this very topic:

CLOTHES TO SING ABOUT

THE incessant flood of musicians trying to break into fashion design shows no sign of abating, but Sean Combs, aka the former Puff Daddy, says it isn't as easy as it looks. "They're jumping on the bandwagon," he says of the likes of Eve, Eminem, Gwen Stefani and Jennifer Lopez. "Even celebrities not known for their fashion are taking a shot. [But] a lot of people can lose their shirts messing with this business. It's one of the hardest businesses in this world." Combs' five-year-old label, Sean John, sold $300 million at retail last year and executives hope that it will one day rival fashion superpowers such as Ralph Lauren. Beyoncé Knowles, meanwhile, who announced yesterday that she had landed backers for her own line, says the transition from music to fashion is an obvious one. "A lot of the artists have more insight into fashion than people think," she told the International Herald Tribune. "We have a lot of experience on the red carpet and fashion shows. We might as well have our own lines." George Jones, president and chief executive of Saks, says Comb's label and Damon Dash's Rocawear are both doing well, while those proving less successful are Shady, by Eminem, and 50 Cent's G-Unit line. But as Eve, who launched her Fetish line last year, admits, often the stars themselves have very little to do with the actual design of the clothes. "I don't sketch; I can't draw or anything like that," she says. "But I have a design team and they come up with ideas. I approve or disapprove." (May 13 2004, AM)

Originally posted by mikeijames@May 14th, 2004 - 1:04 pm
...when it comes time to make that public appearance, it's always back to high fashion
not missyE... :P

P Diddy often wears his high end and low end stuff. He often plugs his high end custom stuff. It actually looks pretty good. He just may make the billion dollar mark in about 5 years I imagine. His fall 2003 contemporary line looked as good as many serious designers. Of course he has a great design team and he knows fashion and cares about quality and detail personally. His aspirations are very high for the fashion game.

Personally I do not wear urban hip hop gear , but I would wear some of his contemporary stuff.

I loved Sean John's FW 2003 collection!! Those suits were amazing!! I want one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dl80231
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->