Mizrahi Designs 'Semi-couture' for BG and gears up for talk show

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
Published: Thursday, November 03, 2005 next

Mizrahi Designs 'Semi-couture' for BG

NEW YORK — Fashion has always been a bit of a stage for Isaac Mizrahi.
There were the elaborate fashion shows staged with full views of the backstage frenzy, the "Unzipped" documentary offering insight to Mizrahi's designs and demons and the theater stint in his one-man show, "Les MIZrahi."
The designer is now a step closer to completely merging the fashion and entertainment worlds with his sprawling new 10th Avenue headquarters here. When completed, the 18,500-square-foot space will integrate Mizrahi's ventures, from the To Order atelier of designers, seamstresses and patternmakers to the Target design team and a television studio for "Isaac," the new Style Network talk show to premiere Dec. 5.
The move is a huge step in Mizrahi's lifeline, which has been on a rebound since the demise of his signature collection in 1998.
"I am now trying to integrate everything," Mizrahi said. "There is the television show; the collection for Bergdorf's, which I am trying to grow, and the collection for Target. There are other licenses coming that I can't mention, but they will round out the collection."
Mizrahi said he would like to design men's wear "because I need clothes. I look for and barely find things to buy. Being a man, I see what's out there, I see what's needed. I see how I can add to it."

The distribution of Semi Couture will extend this month to Neiman Marcus in San Francisco, and the spring Semi Couture pieces will reach Bergdorf's in late January. Jayne Harkness, president of the To Order division, said there is talk of expanding its reach to four major markets for Neiman's next spring.
For spring, Mizrahi's collection includes a three-panel cotton and silk dress, a gray wool and silk crepe suit, a camouflage silk crepe dress and a camouflage dress mixing leather, suede, bouclé and jet blue beads with ostrich and marabou feathers. To Order pieces retail from $8,000 to $50,000, while Semi Couture ranges from $1,200 to $7,500.

Mizrahi Gearing Up For Daily Talk Show

Bergdorf's is kicking off the new To Order pieces with a two-day trunk show today. Mizrahi will be on hand at the store on Friday from 2 to 4 p.m. to give his personal advice to shoppers.
"Everyone used to ask me, 'Who is your woman?' I think, 'Who isn't my woman?' I don't like to discriminate," Mizrahi said. "It finds its level, like water finds its level. It's a passé approach to think you have to know your woman. I feel it's just the opposite. You don't tell them what to do, she tells you what to do. She's the one wearing it, she's in control, not you.
"I don't know who this woman is," he added, with a sigh. "She'll turn up."

:lol:...*maybe she will, maybe she won't...:innocent:
Phase one of the new space's construction has been completed and "Isaac" started taping in front of a live audience of 50 last week. The television studio's main feature is a square stage platform lit from underneath, where Mizrahi will interview guests. There are separate stages for the four-piece Ben Waltzer Band, which will accompany Mizrahi, and for special segments about solving fashion dilemmas. In addition, the studio has a high-tech kitchen for cooking segments. :chef:
In phase two of the construction, a 10-foot glass wall will be added to separate the taping studio from the design atelier, which will be in full view on the program.

excerpts-wwd.com

the black is to-order
the white is semi-couture...

:rolleyes:...

Attachments

• 110305_27.jpg
    110305_27.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 110305_28.jpg
    110305_28.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 10
the blk dress is really nice, i have to say.
i'm really impressed how he always manages to stay so well in the fashion industry, always coming up with something new......
i'd like to see more from the semi-couture line!

softgrey said:
...a 10-foot glass wall will be added to separate the taping studio from the design atelier, which will be in full view on the program.
That sounds really cool, though I'd think it'd be really distracting from the show you're supposed to be watching. :unsure:

The two dresses look rather unremarkable, especially considering those pricing points listed. :doh:

I'm happy for him.
I have always liked Issac Mizrahi's stuff, including the very short lived
menswear collection in the early nineties (one of the first North American
brands to usher in the high button, double vent jacket-I remember this all
too well) and am not sure why commercial success escaped him.
I also vividly remember TAXI magazine, December 1989 when they asked several designers for new years' eve gowns- Issac's (sketch) was a floor length, white silk crepe diaper.
I personally think he was more talented and creative than many other
New York desginers.
I would have liked to see him instead of Kors at Celine.

softgrey said:
The distribution of Semi Couture will extend this month to Neiman Marcus in San Francisco

very cool...i can't wait to see some of these pieces in person, although the price are a bit steep, as alexn noted...:shock:

what neiman's in sf carries always surprises me...isaac mizrahi but no balenciaga...:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->