Model Behavior [Read post #1 before posting] #10

Discussion in 'Rumor has it...' started by tFS Thread Manager, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Armani

Armani Moderator

Janaye Furman and Londone Myers are also speaking out against hairstylists who don’t know how to work with black models’ natural hair texture:

2. squilliam

squilliam Member

I think a lot of people don't understand the concept of something being lost in translation. It's something where you have to know more than one language, and maybe the cultures associated with those languages, to comprehend. I remember my french teacher saying that certain english phrases like "lend me your ear" would make no sense in french, it wouldn't mean "listen to me" like it does in english, it would be taken literally in french. There are also some words and phrases that cannot really be translated at all. I'm bilingual and sometimes I have difficulty translating certain words or phrases or concepts between English and arabic, and some things if translated can sound very offensive in the other language. I'm not defending all of Karl's comments but "lost in translation" is a real thing that's difficult to understand and explain

3. Lax89

Lax89 Well-Known Member

Is there a video with his quotes ?

4. FashionMuseDior

I personally find the comments he made about the #MeToo movement and the photoshoots team asking models if they're comfortable with posing quite disgusting and sexist.

Taken from cnn.com

5. TREVOFASHIONISTO

TREVOFASHIONISTO Well-Known Member

so happy for him!

dsamg and tapenerd like this.
  6. sixtdaily

sixtdaily Well-Known Member

7. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

It’s sad for Pat but It’s beautiful to see the support.
    However, it’s a pity that models back in the days did not made as much money as today. Your only exit plan was to marry a rich man or to start working with the designers.

8. 333101

333101 Well-Known Member

^Yeah I'm not going to judge them for that, at least not without knowing all of the facts. Cancer doesn't discriminate regardless of your financial circumstances and medical costs in the US seem absolutely crazy to me. For all of the UK's faults, we are incredibly lucky to have our healthcare system and I only hope Pat receives the treatment she needs and makes a successful recovery.

dsamg, Benn98 and Lola701 like this.
  9. TommyGirl

TommyGirl Active Member

^ I would not dare to judge either, cancer is terrible disease in any case, can't even imagine how it'd be if you couldn't get all the possible medical treatment for financial reasons. And we know in US it can take a big fortune to treat any serious conditions. Luckily here too (and our system is faulty too) public healthcare takes care of these situations.

Lola701 likes this.
  10. Lola701

Yes, that’s why I had this thing about the fact that models back in the day didn’t made that much money because it’s unfortunate that someone who has worked all her life, doing something she loves can not afford treatment.
    Regardless of what she is and her position cancer is one of the most prominent disease of our time and yet, it’s quite a luxury to be treated.

Thankfully, we can still count on people and humanity. It’s great that she has that support (financial and emotional)!

TommyGirl and GivenchyAddict like this.
  11. sixtdaily

sixtdaily Well-Known Member

Good point Lola, I'd be interested to know how much models were able to make back in the days. And how much they are paid now for their occasional jobs and runway appearances.

I must say that when I saw this gofundme, it was a big surprise. How come people who are showing off their lavish lifestyle on IG have suddenly no money for their own health. How come they don't have savings or travel insurance? It's not the first case of celebrity asking for money to pay for health cost and probably won't be the last... in any case, best wishes to her in her fight against this terrible illness.

dsamg, sore, Nomar and 2 others like this.
  12. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

It may sound cruel, but these were exactly my same thoughts. Where are the priorities? I recall years ago Pat tried really hard to get Anna into the Paris Debutante Ball which is only reserved for the GLOBAL cream of the crop - aristos, billionaire heiresses and the like. A move which imo at least didn't shape Anna's career in any form because she's a model. So what's the point of wasting all that money purely for image? I know many on here will say 'oh but it's their money, you don't get to tell them how to spend it', but by opening a public funding account they are putting their financial status under scrutiny. Vanity Fair readers had a lot to say about Carmen Dell'Orefice too when she blindly invested in a Ponzi scheme and lost all her savings.

dsamg and sore like this.
  13. Lola701

I remember talking with Farida Khelfa a longtime ago about it. And she said to me that they weren’t making that much money. They were making enough to be independent but it was like a never-ending party with people always paying things for them or things like that.
    I can only imagine how it was for Pat! When you hear her talk about her career, it seems like she never worked (like Betty Catroux).

Farida for example became quickly a collaborator for her friends (Gaultier & Alaia), had a relationship with her best friend’s friend (Seydoux) and has managed to work in the industry without being a face of it anymore.

We don’t know that much about Pat outside of modeling but I can totally believe that while she has money, she doesn’t necessarly have that kind of money. She did a campaign for L’Oreal and is still modeling. It must pay well but maybe she didn’t save.
    I can totally see her getting gifts from various designers.
    Even for Anna being a debutante..Pat was friend with Karl. A note to Karl, a Chanel Couture dress and the deal is done.

I read the article on the Nytimes and while I was surprised to read her husband saying « we are normal people », I’m not that surprised overall. It’s easy to lose yourself or to not have a « real world common-sense » in terms of money when the peak of your career was in a era when everything was easy.
    Maybe today, she is working more for money than « for fun ».
    Look at Andre Leon Talley...he has the same « money problems ».

modela likes this.
  14. jorgepalomo

jorgepalomo Well-Known Member

And lot of big names donated.

Lola701 likes this.
  15. tapenerd

tapenerd Well-Known Member

Pat has a house in Southern NJ. I’m from there, and while it’s a nice neighborhood, it always seemed strange to me that she would choose there to live. There’s not much around. Her house is nice but small. Not what you would think for a supermodel.

modela and Benn98 like this.
  16. ThatDudeOverTher

ThatDudeOverTher Active Member

Pat's situation exactly highlights one of the biggest problems with fashion - the smoke and mirrors. Majority of the people in fashion you see flashing their lavish and exuberant lifestyle all over social media are broke or poor or have marginal wealth. Once you have an "in" in this industry, you will get invited to all sorts of "exclusive" events, hobnobbing with the actually rich and famous. Designers and brands will send you their sh*t for you to wear out in public and post all over your social media feeds, but do you actually make money from any of it? The answer is no! It's all a lie.

Pat hasn't had any major jobs in a while. I think one campaign last year and two the year before. I don't think any of those paid very well, especially since the rates for campaigns have decreased tremendously - something I blame agencies for, by basically pimping out their models for the minimum rates.

He daughter, Anna, hasn't had any substantial work in a while either. Editorials and magazine covers pay nothing and her profile isn't high enough to be commanding serious appearance fees.

All that said, this is one very lovely family and Pat has an amazing soul. In fact, a couple years ago, she introduced me to someone who would become one of my closest friends in NYC. I wish her nothing but good fortunes and great health.

17. dsamg

dsamg Well-Known Member

Wouldnt even say that is a problem exclusive to fashion. You can misread any person's income on Instagram by what they are choosing to show. I can admit I have been guilty myself of portraying a much more lavish lifestyle than I actually lead.

Anyway I hope the US can change soon. I just cant imagine how terrible it is to live there and get sick. After many surgeries, I'm pretty sure my family would be broke if I was American. It is a very sad situation.

Wish her good health!

modela likes this.
  18. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

I'd like to bring a little attention to Gigi Hadid being sponsored by McDonalds to promote the chain during Coachella. I know it may seem like it's blowing the issue out of proportion but I find it so hypocritical that she'd do that. Here's a girl that we know eats clean, promotes organic food and works out because you just don't maintain that body by eating fast food all the time. And yes, I know she - like all of us - eats a bit of fast food from time to time, but being paid to promote this cancerous brand that causes obesity in mostly low-income families causes so much harm to her young fans. It's this whole "look, I can eat McDonalds and still look like this" mentality that is so annoying to me and makes tons of girls who are already dieting to look like Gigi even more insecure about themselves and their bodies. It may sound funny to some, but young people look up to their idols in sometimes unhealthy ways, and McDonalds knows this and capitalizes on it. It wouldn't have even been a problem if she was randomly filmed eating their fries, but the "sponsored by McDonalds" text irked me so, so much because of the hypocrisy.

rubydon, cestmagique and tapenerd like this.
  19. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

How about posting the picture with those people in the background. To borrow a phrase from Lainey, 'Coincidence or Conspirary?'

tapenerd likes this.