Model moments that changed fashion

m.j.

Reaction score
i read recently in some elle or cosmo that there r like 7 moments that changed fashion forever and they all included certain models at certain time of their career.
so, here r some pics that u can say changed the direction of our looks on fashion...
1.freedom by george michael-the best video ever made, no george, no band, just 5 most gorgeous women singing and doing some usual stuff like washing hair, or making tea...

2.versace show that established the word supermodel, cindy,linda,christy,naomi, walking down the runway and singing freedom...

it was in 1990...

3.naomi falls on westwood's fashion show in 1993

4.versace and the girls

5.the 'it' girls

6.the trinity... we all know them... i wonder how much money did the 3 of them made...

7.kate moss... she was short,skinny,and very very young...

source for pics is thefasionspot

so what do u guys think about this,was it good,did i miss something,who r today's girls that did or can do sth like the original supermodels....

Attachments

• freedom90er3nt.jpg
    freedom90er3nt.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1
  • runway19905do.jpg
    runway19905do.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 0
  • naomifall19933op.jpg
    naomifall19933op.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1
  • versacegirlsb6bp.jpg
    versacegirlsb6bp.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 12
  • group24.jpg
    group24.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 13
  • super.jpg
    super.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 3nity.jpg
    3nity.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 3
  • km000557.jpg
    km000557.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 3
*bump- well, an update of sorts*

post-supers i'd probably say:
- gemma ward and the doll-faced models: tanya d, vlada, sasha, et. al.
- more models starting younger and its subsequent effects on sizing and attitudes towards body image in the general public
- the brazilians, the russians, the... ? (with the occasional belgian/dutch/dane/ukranian fever)
- the rise of asia as a luxury market with more asian models seen in high fashion - du juan, liu wen, etc.

If there's any model that changed fashion it's Kate Moss.

the arrival of the supermodels definitely is the biggest moment that change the fashion history

If there's any model that changed fashion it's Kate Moss.
I agree. I can't think of any other model of recent times who actually had an influence on fashion or the way we look at it.

Maybe Lea T, Andrej Pejic and Freja (though I don't really see her as being androgynous) are making androgyny become big again though I don't see that becoming a mainstream trend yet.

But doll-faced models? I don't see how it had any impact on the actual fashion or the beauty standards of the mass either. It was definitely a big trend within the modeling world but I doubt anyone in the outside world even noticed. Especially because a lot of people think all non-VS models are weird looking anyway :lol:

Not to go into weight talk, but the death of Ana Carolina Reston and the Ramos sisters changed fashion or at least demanded a change, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
the arrival of the supermodels definitely is the biggest moment that change the fashion history

Certainly this seems true to me. Before the early 90s and the arrival of the supermodels there wasn't as much pressure to look super beautiful. I think since then everyone compares themselves to them and whether or not the person is really "model" like or not; ie, "You're not a model." There was even a sub theme in the show SATC about Carrie and her issue about not being a model & how men prefer models ("Modelizers") etc.

**WEIGHT TALK NOT ALLOWED

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Kate had a massive impact as an anti-supermodel but nothing less… the second bust of her career was a result of tabloid marketing which I don’t think did any favours to the profession of model.
Her career established some kind of trend of becoming famous and getting work thanks to numerous scandals, etc. I think it brought in the world of fashion an element of pedestrian culture. Let’s face it; her career had a massive bust after the famous scandal she was involved. It practically saved her career as a model. Moreover, I think she is an epitome of all model stereotypes about model’s poor intelligence, whereas Gisele got to the top with her amazing charisma, character and hard work. I am not even Gisele’s fan. I like her though.

while kate moss isn't at oxford curing cancer, i highly doubt that she is of poor intelligence. i mean, she's been in the biz for most of her life, still working, is a recognised fashion and style icon and has bounced back from numerous scandals and people still love her. that's a pretty tough ask for anyone who's considered "dumb".

just saying, not attacking :flower:

Personally think that Gemma would have been a legendary icon like Kate Moss after around a decade if she had been still continuing modeling.

Just have two questions to ask:
1. What does "it" girl mean?
2. Who's the first "gender-neutral" model? I mean the model who has gender-neutral style.
Thanks in advance!

Twiggy was quite androgynous I think?

I don't know if it changed fashion but the all Black Issue of Vogue Italia was ground breaking!

while kate moss isn't at oxford curing cancer, i highly doubt that she is of poor intelligence. i mean, she's been in the biz for most of her life, still working, is a recognised fashion and style icon and has bounced back from numerous scandals and people still love her. that's a pretty tough ask for anyone who's considered "dumb".

just saying, not attacking :flower:

No worries, we are all entitled express our opinions, that's what the forum is for ;-)

I don't think Kate is very much loved in the UK. She is just very famous and I believe being famous and loved are not necessarily synonyms. She does not stand as a role model for anything apart from being photographed in public or dr*nk or making very short but d*mp statements. I just think that she was labelled as a style icon and someone to look up to when it comes being fashionable. I do believe it is a part of branding as well and the whole machine of marketing. She is basically always available to do fashion jobs because she does not really have anything else to do whereas other famous models don’t dedicate 100% to modelling anymore.

As I said, she had an enormous impact when she popped on the radar as an anti-supermodel but at the end of the day it did not really have an immediate effect because supermodels carried on working for quite a few years after her arrival.

I think Twiggy had an impact on fashion as I believe her images are one of the most memorable ones in the history of fashion...

the Kate Moss- hologram was memorable from Alexander McQueen 2006 FW.
kate-moss-hologram-3d-laser-technology1.jpg
olasz-divat.hu

video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIcsYBZSQ48

Well it's an interesting topic because modeling really is all about moments. Nothing will last forever, even in the case of the supermodels, so I would actually say that the trends people have been discussing in this thread DID change fashion even if only for a period of time.
I think the most obvious moment that changed fashion was the rise and the fall of the supers. Then Kate on her own who popularized the heroin chic look.
Of course there's also Twiggy, Jean Shrimpton, Gia, etc even earlier on.

Then I think the emergence of the Eastern European girls made popular that traditionally Russian/Eastern European look which has made that area a major export for models still today. I think even with the Eastern European trend you could say that the age of the girls changed fashion too because suddenly we have 14-year-old Tanya D on the runways walking Versace, etc. There's also the doll-faced look and the androgynous-look which have both already been mentioned in this thread

Well it's an interesting topic because modeling really is all about moments. Nothing will last forever, even in the case of the supermodels, so I would actually say that the trends people have been discussing in this thread DID change fashion even if only for a period of time.
I think the most obvious moment that changed fashion was the rise and the fall of the supers. Then Kate on her own who popularized the heroin chic look.
Of course there's also Twiggy, Jean Shrimpton, Gia, etc even earlier on.

Then I think the emergence of the Eastern European girls made popular that traditionally Russian/Eastern European look which has made that area a major export for models still today. I think even with the Eastern European trend you could say that the age of the girls changed fashion too because suddenly we have 14-year-old Tanya D on the runways walking Versace, etc. There's also the doll-faced look and the androgynous-look which have both already been mentioned in this thread

Let's not forget about Brazilian invasion as well ... Gisele and the gang...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->