Movies with great fashion!

STYLISH movies?

I'm not sure which forum to use, so please move if necessary.

I'm looking for recommendations on movies with STYLE and glamour.....along the lines of Belle du Jour (which I've not seen) but have heard Catherine Deneuve is dressed head to toe in YSL?

Perhaps a fashionable French film that will increase my cultural status? ^_^

Thanks, czilla. This is actually the thread that inspired me to ask the question. :P

Federico Fellini's "Juliet of the Spirits". amazingly beautiful costumes, sets, music! my absolute favorite! Salvador Dali designed some of the scenes, too. check it out!

juliet_of_the_spirits.jpg
Julietofthespirits.jpg

don't recall if i've posted this, but i love charade... so chic. also to catch a thief... vertigo (madeleine's infamous suit!).

To this day one of the chicest wardrobes I have ever seen in a movie was Katherine Hepburn's in Desk Set. Not a lot of people know about the film, but it is worth seeing for both the fashion and the writing/story.

Mrs Harris goes to Paris

sorry, but nothing can beat this film...I :heart:LOVE:heart: it so much!!

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]
Set in the 1950's, Mrs. Harris, a common British woman so intent on owning a Dior gown, that she slaves and scrimps for years. However, upon travelling to Paris to make the purchase, Mrs. Harris encounters a series of unexpected characters and events that stand between her and the coveted gown

the dresses in this film are beautiful, most of it is set in the House of Dior and you actually see Christian Dior...well a just his hand :blush:

[/font]

Lord of the Rings :wink: I loved the dresses Arwen wore...and the white one from Eowyn. personally, I wouldn't wear something like that, but I just think they're beautiful

My all-time favorite could be:

*Death in Venice (Visconti) ---Utterly and totally gorgeous. Actually, most Visconti movies are visual feasts through and through. (photos from Death in V, Gattopardo, and Ludwig; dont even beGIN to do justice though...:D )

I also love:
*Mahler (Ken Russell) turn of the century meets 1974. Yum!
*Pretty Baby (Louis Malle) ---inspired me to go around wearing white dresses with black or stripey tights for a while! :D also from Louis Malle, *Zazie dans le Metro (photos from both)
*La Reine Margot (Patrice Chereau) ---sumptuous. Adjani=my favorite actress in the world.
*La Belle et la Bete (Jean Cocteau)--photo. All sorts of avant-garde romanticism going on, still looks new today.

And of course:
Cabaret and The Great Gatsby and Frida and Sleepy Hollow, as have been mentioned, and My Fair Lady!!!. Adjani's dresses in Adolphe were gorgeous and Cameron's wardrobe in The Invisible Circus was charmingly hippy (and specially me). And there's a special place in my heart for Desperately Seeking Susan in the 80's category... :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yams Yamborghini
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"