Mugler S/S 2019 Paris

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by vogue28, Sep 26, 2018.

1. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

VOGUE.COM

2. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

What’s the project behind this? Who is this for?
    The cut, the fabrics, the garnments are so wrong. Koma’s Cut was surgical and he understood the idea of sexiness and the importance of the body in the Mugler silhouette.

This is trying too hard and it lacks vision. Having an original Mugler model is not enough..

jeanclaude likes this.
  3. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

Kim and Kanye must be really happy this season.

4. jeanclaude

jeanclaude Active Member

Any resemblance to Mugler is purely coincidental...

YohjiAddict likes this.
  5. christian zh

christian zh Well-Known Member

Disgusting.

jeanclaude likes this.
  6. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

I wish Mugler could just be a beauty empire tbs. They have tried, tried and tried...With Koma, we had a small hope but the reality is that it simply doesn't work.
    This is the big problem with fashion houses today. Everybody believe that all the brands are supposed to be like Chanel, Vuitton, Dior and all.
    Mugler was a very influencial designer but his aesthetic, while inspiring for other designers simply doesn't work anymore.

I feel sad that we are in this race of pure non-sense. Mugler will never live-up to the expectations of what it was with Thierry. Thierry had that fantasy, that extravaganza that are simply not relevant today.
    Excess today is Alessandro Michele which means a lot of sequins and all. Sex was a big part of the Mugler aesthetic. It's impossible to translate it with a simple commercial approach.

And another reality, when somebody wants to wear Mugler, he goes to Thierry "Manfred" Mugler to borrow one of the amazing archive piece.

Mugler, Poiret, Patou, Montana...No, we don't need those houses today...Even more if the executives are not ready to really invest in talents!

YohjiAddict, Frida and jeanclaude like this.
  7. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Many of these looks reminds me of Dolce & Gabbana around the late 90's. Though I probably shouldn't say it aloud because Stefano will be all over Casey's Insta with toxic outbursts in 3...2...1... But I'm mad about everything with the bustier and print motifs. Quite expertly executed, actually. And I can see how he expanded from that into something more lighted and looser (the ruched detailing around the hips), or with different proportions. I just think the problem really lies in the way he laid it all out. Such a straight-forward approach called for an equally straight-forward line-up. Maybe that would've saved this.

YohjiAddict likes this.
  8. helmutnotdead

helmutnotdead Active Member

at this point, just close the brand. who needs this?!

9. Marc10

Marc10 Moderator

Mugler is such a difficult brand because there's very little that can be revived for a modern audience that won't look too garish or 80s costume (like it was Nicola's tenure). So I honestly give a pass if the designer tries an entirely new approach, like what Koma did. Casey is taking it even further, this is very contemporary, on-trend. There's a lot that that I like here: the bustier/corsetry inspired looks are quite sexy and modern. I LOVE the prints too. Less convinced by the biker shorts and some proportions which are too Y-Project territory.The styling/editing and overall presentation could've been better too.

I think there's potential here. Casey is a talented guy, and his approach for the house is gutsy. Intrigued to see how he builds it from here.

Benn98 likes this.
  10. perhydrol

perhydrol Member

This was a disappointing show. I feel like they want to create some new codes for Mugler and that's why they're still trying to make the paint splash thing and cycling shorts happen but there's nothing that would say it's a Mugler collection. This new identity is just a bunch of weird clothes and ideas that are not as appealing as Koma's proposition for example.

The Mugler's exhibition is about to come so the nostalgia for Thierry's work is more than expected, but I'm sure that with this guy at the helm Mugler the brand will lose the chance to become relevant.

jeanclaude likes this.
  11. dior_couture1245

dior_couture1245 Fat Karl

Ugh this looks straight out of an expensive trend reporting book. It just looks like nothing because it looks like everything.

I totally get that the Mugler aesthetic is a difficult one to make current...as the original really was so tied to the times in which it was being made - the culture, the music, the models, etc. Despite his work being absolutely iconic, a large bulk of it is not would I would call timeless. It's tricky.

However, I don't think it's impossible to update and reinvent this brand. Nothing is impossible. But this Casey kid...he is just bringing nothing to the table! This is worse than Proenza Schouler...there is ZERO personality here.

Frida and jeanclaude like this.