Need Suggestions Where to Find Names of Colors

Amy Louise

Reaction score
I've googled for names of colors and come up with a few sites, including DMC/Anchor Embroidery Floss, some of which show the thread colors and their names.

Can anyone in the art or fashion field suggest where else I can find names of plenty of colors--preferably online?

When describing gemstones, beads, colors of yarns or fabrics used in my jewelry, original knitwear & garments on my webpage, I feel it's vital to try to be as accurate as possible so customers won't be disappointed when the package arrives on their doorstep. Fairchild Publications has some textbooks on color, but they are rather steep in price. I also tried asking the Pantone forum support, but their colors are described by numbers, not names, and tech support didn't reply.

I'd appreciate any leads.
Many thanks,
Amy

its hard to have an 'official' list of describeld colours, best way is either the Fairchild books or trusting your own intelligence and come up with some cool describtion names :wink:

good luck Amy :flower:

Ugh.. I hate coming up with color names... Someone always names a greenish color Sage... DRIVES ME MAD!!!!

Coming up with my own color names..hmmm...Roseville Red. Sounds tempting, but who will know what the heck I'm talking about but me? Computer resolutions and colors vary per monitor so you can't always count on that to give a realistic view...you just have to hope your words convey the emotion of the color, I guess.

It's kind of like the dilemma I face with naming my knits & such. Should I give them feminine names like you often see for shoes & such like "The Millicent" or use descriptions instead "Sage Pumps?" (Couldn't resist using sage) :innocent:

If someone would recommend a Fairchild publication title they think is excellent for color names, I could search for a used/discount price online instead of buying new. I'm thinking, though, there's some site for established and new colors (color trends) in the Fashion Industry that has all that info. I found one googling around, but it was hundreds of dollars to subscribe for a year.
Amy

nobody can understand the names people give at colours anyway amy :wink:\

even at Premiere Vision, they just give names like 'tar', plaster etc, that people cannot really relate with.. i dont have any titles on colour 'definitions' if you dont get lucky, just make up your own definitions, nobody will say "what??"
see the dictionairy of colours is not out yet.. every season there are so many totally new Pantone shades, its impossible to put down names for something as abstract as colour :flower:

this sounds stupid reallt because i dont think its what you mean but if you look at some makeup sites because there are so many different shades of red with so many different name etc...:flower:

Fashion is all about selling people things they don't need - so you need to make them think they do, by describing it in an enticing way. Fruits are always a good way of describing colours, and something most people are familiar with yet they make things sound quite appealing - cranberry, raspberry, plum, apple, kiwi, pineapple, mango, avocado... (making myself hungry!)

I know this isn't really what you were looking for but I reckon that even if you use "industry standard" names for colours, if such a thing was to exist, the normal person wouldn't know what these were....

Good luck anyway - your designs sound lovely! :flower:

excelent suggestion -as usual- stylista, fruits are a good inspiration :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theaucourant
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->