New Ceo At Gucci Group

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by stylegurrl, Apr 21, 2004.

1. stylegurrl

stylegurrl New Member

Gucci Appoints New CEO
    From Chunky Monkey to golden horse bits

Wednesday, April 21, 2004

After six months of incorrect speculation by the press, The Gucci Group announced today the appointment of Robert Polet as its new president and chief executive officer. Long-time Gucci leader Domenico De Sole is out at the end of the month and his replacement, though top-notch, is hardly what you’d call a luxury goods guru. In fact, Polet, a 48-year-old Dutch national, comes to the world’s third largest luxury group from the supremely less chic kingdom of packaged goods—specifically, ice cream. As President of Unilever’s Worldwide Ice Cream and Frozen Foods division (a $7.8 billion business with 40 operating companies), he oversaw the development of such products as Europe’s “Cornetto Soft” (soft cone) and American favorites such as Ben & Jerry’s, Breyers, and Klondike.

Serge Weinberg, chairman of Pinault Printemps Redoute, Gucci’s owner, said “We are thrilled about Robert’s appointment. His international background, his broad experience in developing brands, his entrepreneurial and managerial talents and his ability to be both a leader and team player make him an ideal choice to run Gucci Group.”

What would Tom say about a Cornetto guy dripping all over Gucci’s sexy designs?
    J.J. MARTIN

2. seditionary

seditionary New Member

aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!
    the end of fashion lol...............
    :woot: finally....

3. leyla m.

leyla m. New Member

4. Orochian

Orochian New Member

This is one part of business culture that I simply don't get. Large corporations from car manufacturers to junk food makers seem to think that manegerial prowess is universal across the economy, that anyone who've been successful in an executive position of any given company, would also excel in similar positions in businesses of a completely different nature. :rolleyes:

This is yet another latest example. :ninja:

Personally I think it is of grave importance for the CEO of a company to be intimately familiar with its product, market, and clientele. That, precisely that, is what makes great CEOs like Domenico de Sole and Rose Marie Bravo the accomplished leaders they are.

Now, I don't want to appear prejudiced against PPR (and Serge Weinberg in particular), but I think this will go down as yet another in a long line of stupid mistakes they've made, the first being the firing and gross underestimation of the vital importance of Dom and Tom.

5. faust

faust New Member

Well, in case any of you still had a doubt that Gucci is all about business and not about fashion, maybe this will dispell them?

6. LadyIllusion

LadyIllusion New Member

Ice-cream & Gucci :shock:

7. Orochian

Orochian New Member

faust :flower: , I think it's important to make the distinction between the Gucci now, and the Gucci under Dom and Tom.

Gucci under the two of them may still have been more about business than fashion, but to excel in this business you need to have a clear vision about the company's direction and the rules of the industry. Dare I say, they had not made a single mistake that would in any way compromise the ultra-tight image control of the Gucci brand.

PPR, on the other, have already made a handful within a remarkably short time.

8. Plumour

Plumour New Member

9. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

the PPR strategy would work for any other type of company outside of fashion: generally hiring people with brand-building creditials into a multi-brand enterprise makes sense, however de sole had been with gucci since 1984 -- one of the reasons he did well at gucci was because he has been in the fashion business for so many years -- i think ppr should have stole top management from another luxury conglomerate and gave him large bonuses based on turning around the business...they are trying to cut too many corners here.

10. faust

faust New Member

BTW, Gucci stock is still flat. Obviously investors don't think it's a big deal. Well, we shall see...

11. stylegurrl

stylegurrl New Member

12. mikeijames

are you kidding me...would you sell gucci stock knowing how well tom ford's last season will sell?

13. faust

faust New Member

are you kidding me...would you sell gucci stock knowing how well tom ford's last season will sell? [/b][/quote]
    yea, but the CEO news have to be factored in the risk...

14. mikeijames

i would recommend anyone hold on to it for the time being because of the fashion brands, gucci (thanks to tom ford and de sole) has a very strong brand identity. people are still going to be snatching up gucci bags long after the dust has settled from this...it's only when we see what the new designers and execs are doing that we will really know (the new guy may generate income by going on a selling-spree)...

15. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

yumy :p

may be they will have GG empsoed ice cream that taste likw gucci perfume

16. Acid

Acid yes

:lol: i was thinking the same thing

G shaped choc chips :rolleyes:

17. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

:lol: i was thinking the same thing

G shaped choc chips :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    :rofl: :shifty:

18. Spike413

Spike413 barcode

Wow, PPR certainly isn't waiting long to destroy this brand :innocent: . Jeez, I'm happy to know that PPR may just see the day they regret letting Tom and Dom go, but on the other hand, if Gucci goes down the tubes it's sad to think about all the work people put into making it what it is (or was :cry: ). How wonderfully ironic it would be if Gucci made a rapid decline in success and popularity all because the "celebrity" designer and his CEO left. Mabye Serge Winberg will see that celebrity designers aren't such a bad thing.

Odd choice, Mr. Winberg obviously doesn't know fashion, otherwise he would know that fashion and ice cream do not mix.....

19. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

were tom and dom fired?...i thought they left ...

and seeing this...i don't blame them...sounds like they are trying to take gucci mass-market...that's how the halston label was destroyed...what next...gucci for target?... :ninja:

20. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

:lol: oh come on guys, this is nothing new in fashion world (turning to outsiders for strategy executive posts) De Sole himself was not 'industry' orientated when he joined Gucci :p

from wwd:

just few examples from wwd artcile of today