New magazine-Cosmo Kenya

Urban Stylin

ɐʎ ʎǝɥ
Reaction score
this is the second issue and already am not feelin the cover that much. its news stand friendly because of the bright colours and all but on closer inspection a massive waste

the editorials on the other hand are quite impressive

another editorial that i really liked reminds me of a guess ad

the beauty editorial which was rather brief

one thing that i didnt like though is that like 95% of the ads are foreign and have white models yet the white population in Kenya is not more than 30%>btw am not trying to be racist here:wink:

I love the richness of the colours in those first and third segments you've posted. I must say that they look much more appealing than the Cosmos here! Totally bold and a great sense of contrast to them. However, I'm not thrilled with the titled "Guess ad," I think that it generally looks quite dated.

btw the last pic posted on the 'guess ad' liek ed is from a different editorial; that i kind of found to teen vogue-ish kids @ the beach where you need a microscope to spot the clothes

So do all the black models featured in the magazine have a relaxer? :rolleyes: Figures....but I guess if all the ads are foreign, that's to be expected...sadly....

Last edited by a moderator:
oooh i guess and a few weaves here and there though the model in the beauty ed seems to be mixed blood or ethiopian/somali in which case their hair is straight

that's a good point urban...not all africans/blacks have nappy hair...but my point is that to make it in the magazines, etc....you most likely have to have your relaxed hair, which isn't the case with a large segment of the supposed target demographic of this new magazine....now some people will say, big deal, its just hair....but there's a longstanding sociological issue with blacks and the relaxing of hair (literally burning your hair/stripping it of its natural oils to achieve a white beauty standard)....its just interesting (and sad) to see that a mag even in such an area would reflect such issues common even here in america.......

Urban Stylin said:
oooh i guess and a few weaves here and there though the model in the beauty ed seems to be mixed blood or ethiopian/somali in which case their hair is straight

i believe straightening of hair is somewhat irreversible its like saying that wearing clothes or speaking english is foreign>>>
and on a more positive note white people are now trying to make their hair more fuzzy and putting locks in their hair so its all good>>>

White, black, yellow, green, who cares what skin color someone is, if they're beautiful enough to be in a magazine then they should be, nothing else matters :smile:

Urban Stylin said:
the beauty editorial which was rather brief

one thing that i didnt like though is that like 95% of the ads are foreign and have white models yet the white population in Kenya is not more than 30%>btw am not trying to be racist here:wink:

I think this girl is American, I've seen her and the ad on the left before, in one of these mags- I'm sure of it. :lol:

I love the colours, I dunno how "in place" the 'guess' ad is, in terms of who the mag is aimed at, but it's done in the US mags. I see it in Suede, Essence, and Latina lol. They all do it, I think it's something that's hard to step away from, since ads is what pays.

@ the hair issue, I understand what Theory is saying, although to me "hair is hair"- and I rarely subscribe to any one standard. Black women from across the globe aren't the only ones who perm their hair. The misconception is that they're the biggest users, but that's not 100% true. Either way everyone is affected by these ads, even those of us who swear we aren't. :ninja:

Theory said:
that's a good point urban...not all africans/blacks have nappy hair...but my point is that to make it in the magazines, etc....you most likely have to have your relaxed hair, which isn't the case with a large segment of the supposed target demographic of this new magazine....now some people will say, big deal, its just hair....but there's a longstanding sociological issue with blacks and the relaxing of hair (literally burning your hair/stripping it of its natural oils to achieve a white beauty standard)..

All races have straight hair, it's not a white feature.

Anyways I think the girl on the cover looks great. It's better than any of the covers I've seen in America Cosmo in a long time.

i ll be sure to forward this mini review to the editors they ll luvitt>>and also love the fact that i scanned their pix and put them online

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misslola
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->